Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Chase Bank wire transfer review
A quick way to send money around the world - but watch out for high fees and weak exchange rates.
Chase Bank allows you to send a wire transfer in over 40 currencies to more than 90 countries worldwide. It also offers the convenience of sending secure international wire transfers online or at one of its 4,700 branch locations nationwide. But watch out for member requirements, weak exchange rates and high fees compared to independent transfer companies.
What's in this guide?
- Chase currency exchange rates
- What are the transfer limits?
- How does Chase compare to other services?
- How do I send a Chase international wire transfer?
- Does Zelle work with Chase?
- Pros and cons of Chase wire transfers
- Which currencies are available for international wire transfers?
- Which countries are unavailable for international wire transfers?
- How do I track my Chase wire transfer?
- Chase wire transfer help
- Frequently asked questions
Chase wire transfer fees
The Chase wire transfer fee you’ll pay depends on how you’re sending the transfer and whether you’re sending or receiving an international or domestic wire transfer:
|Outgoing (from online)||Outgoing (from a Chase branch)||Incoming||Between Chase accounts|
|Chase domestic wire transfer||$25||$35||$15||$0|
|Chase international wire transfer||$40||$50||$15||$0|
|Chase international wire transfer (in foreign currency)||$5||$50||$15||$0|
Wire transfer fees from September 2020 for Chase Total Checking accounts.
Chase offers lower fees when transferring using its foreign currency exchange option, but keep in mind that the exchange rate offered by Chase may be far weaker than money transfer competitors. Because of this, the bottom option, International wire transfer (in foreign currency), may seem far cheaper than the other options until you take into account the exchange rate attached to it.
Chase currency exchange rates
Like any large bank, Chase updates its rates regularly in line with global currency market fluctuations. The Chase currency exchange rates you’ll be offered are similar to those of other large US banks but not as attractive as the rates you’ll get by using an independent money transfer specialist.
MUST READ: Who charges less for wire transfers?
Independent transfer services usually win out over banks when it comes to fees. There are several providers that will send a transfer for free with competitive exchange rates, including OFX, XE and Wise.
- Wise is a peer-to-peer transfer service that uses the mid-market rate — the same rate banks and transfer services use when they trade among themselves — so with Wise you’ll get the best exchange rate possible on your transfer.
- OFX is a global company that offers competitive exchange rates and low fees on money transfers, with a focus on larger transfers over $1,000.
- XE, known for providing exchange rate information, also sends money transfers to more than 100 countries at competitive rates.
What are the transfer limits?
The total daily limit on wire transactions with Chase is $100,000 or your available balance. Business customers can request a higher limit.
How does Chase compare to other services?
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
How do I send a Chase international wire transfer?
To send an international wire transfer with Chase, you first need to open a checking account. Once you’ve set up your account, take these steps to transfer money online:
- Add a wire recipient to your account.
- Choose Make a Wire Transfer and enter your transfer details.
- Review your transaction details and send your funds.
What types of transfers can I make with Chase?
You have two options for transferring money with Chase:
- One-off transfers. Make a one-time wire transfer.
- Recurring transfers. Schedule a repeating wire transfer.
You can send your international wire transfer on the same day or initiate a transfer for a future date online or at a Chase bank branch. If you submit your transfer by 4 p.m. ET, it will be processed the same business day.
With online banking, you can send repeat wire transfers to the same recipient and delegate others to request and approve wire transfers.
Does Zelle work with Chase?
Yes. Chase customers can send money through Chase QuickPay with Zelle, a peer-to-peer payment service, using the mobile app. Here’s what you need to do:
- Log in and select QuickPay with Zelle.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to select a recipient and enter the amount you want to send.
- Hit Send money.
- Receive a confirmation that your money was sent.
Pros and cons of Chase wire transfers
- Secure transfers. Wire transfers are a safe, reliable way to send money to international bank accounts.
- Trusted institution. Chase is ranked No. 1 for customer satisfaction in the large bank category for three consecutive years by the American Customer Satisfaction Index.
- Financial strength. Chase is backed by JP Morgan Chase & Co., a leading global financial services firm.
- Easy process. Chase provides step-by-step instructions for hassle-free money transfers.
- High fees. You’ll pay more in fees than you would by going with an independent money transfer provider.
- Chase customers only. You need to bank with Chase and set up a checking account to make a transfer.
- Weak exchange rates. Independent transfer companies usually offer better exchange rates than most banks.
Which currencies are available for international wire transfers?
Send money in more than 40 currencies to more than 90 countries worldwide.
- Australian Dollar
- Bahamian Dollar (BSD)
- Bahraini Dinar (BHD)
- Barbados Dollar (BBD)
- Bermudian Dollar (BMD)
- Botswanan Pula (BWP)
- Bulgarian Lev (BGN)
- Canadian Dollar (CAD)
- Croatian Kuna (HRK)
- Czech Koruna (CZK)
- Danish Krone (DKK)
- Euro (EUR)
- Ghana Cedi (GHS)
- Great British Pound (GBP)
- Hong Kong Dollar (HKD)
- Hungarian Forint (HUF)
- Indian Rupee (INR)
- Jamaican Dollar (JMD)
- Japanese Yen (JPY)
- Kenyan Shilling (KES)
- Kuwaiti Dinar (KWD)
- Mexican Peso (MXN)
- Moroccan Dirham (MAD)
- New Israeli Sheqel (ILS)
- New Zealand Dollar (NZD)
- Norwegian Krone (NOK)
- Omani Rial (OMR)
- Pakistan Rupee (PKR)
- Polish Zloty (PLN)
- Qatari Rial (QAR)
- Romanian Leu (RON)
- Saudi Riyal (SAR)
- Serbian Dinar (RSD)
- Singapore Dollar (SGD)
- South African Rand (ZAR)
- Sri Lanka Rupee (LKR)
- Swedish Krona (SEK)
- Swiss Franc (CHF)
- Thai Baht (THB)
- Trinidad and Tobago Dollar (TTD)
- Turkish Lira (TRY)
- UAE Dirham (AED)
- Uganda Shilling (UGX)
Which countries are unavailable for international wire transfers?
As a general rule, you will not be able to transfer money to the following countries due to US sanctions:
- Sierra Leone
How do I track my Chase wire transfer?
You can check the progress of a transfer through your online banking account, by visiting a branch location or by calling Chase’s customer service line between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. ET at 800-935-9935.
Chase wire transfer help
If you need to speak to someone at Chase to help with your wire transfer, reach out using the following numbers.
- For scheduling a wire transfer, call 877-242-7372.
- If you bank online, call the Chase Commercial Online Service Center at 877-226-0071.
- For government, not-for-profit and healthcare banking clients, call 855-893-2223.
Chase SWIFT/BIC information
Use SWIFT/BIC information to track your transfer. It may also be necessary when wiring money abroad.
|Bank name||SWIFT/BIC||Bank address||Recipient’s name||Recipient’s account number|
|JP Morgan Chase Bank||CHASUS33||Chase Bank, 270 Park Avenue, New York, NY 10017||Beneficiary’s name as it appears on the bank statement||Complete bank account number|
What’s my Chase routing number?
|New York (downstate)||021000021|
|New York (upstate)||022300173|
Chase is a safe, reliable way to send money overseas. But you’ll pay a sizable transfer fee to get your funds to your recipient. Compare Chase’s international and domestic wire transfer services with your other options from international money senders like MoneyGram, Wise and more to find the right transfer solution for your situation.
Frequently asked questions
Can I save my recipient’s details to make future transfers easy?
Yes, you can save the details of frequent recipients to speed up the process for future transfers.
Can I submit a wire request at any time?
Yes, you can submit online transfer requests at any time.
Can I send domestic wire transfers from a Chase checking account?
Yes, you can send and receive domestic wire transfers from your account and also receive incoming wire transfers from overseas.
Ask an Expert