Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Citibank international wire transfers review
Send money to almost any bank worldwide with convenient money transfer options.
Updated . What changed?
Citibank Global Transfer lets you transfer money from a Citibank account to another Citibank account, domestic or international, for free. Account holders can also send a Citibank international wire transfer to just about anywhere in the world, but this transfer will cost you.
How do I send a Citibank transfer?
Citibank offers two options for you to send money: Citibank Global Transfers and international wire transfers.
Citibank Global Transfers
Citibank Global Transfers can be sent to any Citibank account in more than 20 countries around the world at no charge. To send:
- Login to your Citibank account or visit a Citibank branch
- Enter the name and Citibank account number of your recipient.
- Confirm the details of your transfer and click Send.
International wire transfers through Citibank
With a wire transfer, you can send your money to more than 7,000 banks worldwide.
For international wire transfers, you’ll need to provide:
- Your recipient’s full name.
- Your recipient’s bank name, address, and SWIFT code.
- Your recipient’s bank routing and account numbers.
Whichever transfer option you choose, you’ll need a Citibank checking, savings or money market account. International money transfers are sent the same business day if received before 5:15 p.m. ET.
How much do Citibank international wire transfers cost?
The cost you’ll pay for making a transfer with Citibank depends on the type of account you have with Citibank. Here is a breakdown of the costs:
- From your Citibank account to any Citibank account in the US or selected other countries: free.
- From your Citibank account to any account abroad:
Citibank online wire transfer fees
Fees accurate as of September 17, 2020.
|Domestic||International||Incoming fee||Outgoing limit|
|Citi Private bank||Waived||Waived||Waived||$50,000 per day|
|Cit International Personal||$18.75||$30||Waived||$250,000 per day|
|Citigold Private Client||Waived||Waived||Waived||None|
|Citi Global Executive||$18.75||$30||Waived||$250,000 per day|
|Citi Global Executive Preferred||Waived||Waived||Waived||None|
|All other accounts||$25||$35||$15||$50,000 per day|
Citibank exchange rates
The Citibank exchange rate that you’ll get will depend on whether you are buying or selling currency through the bank. When we checked on September 14, 2020, Citibank’s currency exchange both bought and sold currency at a 1.75% markup, on average, compared to the mid-market rate.
Here are some example buy and sell rates offered through the Citibank Currency Exchange:
|Currency||Code||Buys at||Sells at|
|Great British pound||GBP||0.7907||0.7635|
|Hong Kong dollar||HKD||7.8857||7.6145|
|South African rand||ZAR||NA||16.34|
Because it’s a global bank, Citibank can typically offer more competitive exchange rates than banks with a presence in the US only.
Citibank vs. money transfer providers
Use our comparison calculator to assess transfer fees, exchange rates and other details for sending funds overseas with our money transfer partners. To make sure you’re getting the best deal, compare Citibank’s exchange rates to digital money transfer services.
What types of transfers can I make with Citibank?
- One-off transfers. Send a one-time transfer from your Citibank account.
- Recurring transfers. This option is only available for Citibank-to-Citibank transfers.
- Bank-to-bank transfers. Citibank only gives you the option to transfer money to a bank account. Your recipient cannot pick up cash.
As with the fees, the transfer limits also vary depending on the type of Citibank account you have.
Citibank Global Transfers
|Online daily limit||Online daily limit and|
transfers after 60 days
|Citibank branch or|
ATM daily limit
Online Wire Transfers
Citibank transfer limits for online wire transfers start at $50,000 per day and go up from there. Refer to our fees table to see a complete list of Citibank wire transfer limits.
Pros and cons of using Citibank
- Fee-free transfers. With Citibank Global Transfers, you can send money to other Citibank account holders in more than 20 countries without incurring any fees.
- Simple process. Quickly and easily send a money transfer from your online account.
- Fast transfer speeds. International money transfers are sent the same business day if received before 5:15 p.m. ET.
- Transfer options. Transfers can be sent online, from ATMs or by visiting your nearest branch, and they can be funded from a checking, savings or money market account.
- Worldwide access. Citibank makes it possible to send money to just about anywhere in the world.
- High wire transfer fees. Prepare to pay a fee when you send money by wire transfer to a non-Citibank account.
- Transfer limits. Depending on your account type, how much you can transfer at one time is typically limited to $50,000 a day.
Available currencies and countries
For Citibank Global Transfers, you can transfer funds to the following countries. (More countries are available for Citibank’s Wire Transfer service.)
- Hong Kong
- Japan SMBC Trust Bank Ltd
- United Arab Emirates
- United Kingdom
Citibank SWIFT/BIC and ABA information
Citibank’s primary SWIFT code is CITIUS33, while the ABA number you’ll use differs based on what region you bank in.
Citibank ABA numbers based on region
Scroll through the list to see ABA numbers for New York, Florida, Texas and more.
|California||San Francisco, Northern California, Central California and Northern Nevada||321171184|
|California||Los Angeles, Southern California (including San Diego) and Nevada (except the four Legacy Citibank FCs and Northern Nevada)||322271724|
|New York||153 East 53rd St. New York City||021000089|
|New York||New York Metro||021000089|
|New York||Legacy EAB Commercial/Consumer Accounts||021001486|
|Washington DC||For all Washington DC and Maryland accounts||254070116|
What is Citibank?
Founded in 1812 in New York City, Citibank has grown to become a leading global financial institution with more than 200 million customer accounts in 160 countries around the world.
A large global bank, Citibank offers a diverse range of products to its customers that include corporate and investment banking solutions, wealth management and securities brokerage. Its suite of personal banking solutions includes credit cards, mortgages and savings, checking and investment accounts.
What other products does Citibank offer?
- Credit cards. Citibank offers an extensive range of business, student, travel, rewards and no annual fee credit cards.
- Mortgages. Citibank provides home loan products for homebuyers, investors and those looking to refinance an existing mortgage.
- Home equity lending. Take advantage of your home’s equity with a loan from Citibank.
- Personal loans. Borrow funds and enjoy competitive rates and flexible features.
- Investing. Invest in a wide range of financial instruments on your own or with the help of a Citibank adviser.
- Transaction account. Citizens of Australia can take advantage of Citibank’s Plus Everyday account to get free wine at specific restaurants, access to a large fee-free ATM network and free international money transfers.
When you need to send money overseas, Citibank’s two international money transfer options are a quick, easy solution.
However, before you commit to any international transaction, compare your available options to make sure you get the best value for your money.
Frequently asked questions
Does Zelle work with Citibank?
Yes. Zelle, a peer-to-peer payment service, is available through the mobile apps Citi Mobile and Citibank Online. To send money to other Zelle accounts you need to:
- Log in and select Send money with Zelle.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to choose who you want to send it to and how much.
Can I send money in a foreign currency?
Yes. However, the exchange rate will include a fee charged by Citibank for the currency conversion.
Can I set up a recurring wire transfer with Citibank?
While you can set up a recurring domestic wire transfer with Citibank, this option is not available for overseas transfers.
How can I pay for a Citibank international money transfer?
You can send money overseas from your Citibank checking, savings or money market account.
Do I need to visit my nearest branch to send a transfer?
No. While it’s possible to send Citibank Global Transfers and international wire transfers at select bank locations, you can also make Citibank international money transfers online from your Citibank online banking account.
Ask an Expert