Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
State Farm roadside assistance and towing
This insurer’s roadside assistance service will come to your rescue, even if you didn’t add it to your policy.
Car breakdowns and lockouts can be stressful. And if it happens to you, State Farm has a network of experts on call to help you get your car back on the road. A policy add-on, the 24/7 Emergency Roadside Service pays for towing and labor expenses. But if your repairs take longer than an hour, you’ll have to pay out of pocket.
Work with a dedicated agent to find the right coverage for you, including bundling other policies for the best value. Start your policy today at 877-745-0232.
- Service with a personal feel through dedicated agents
- Bundle multiple policies or vehicles to save up to 20%
- No. 1 for personal auto insurance by market share, suggesting satisfied customers
What does State Farm’s roadside assistance include?
State Farm’s Emergency Roadside Service covers small-scale mechanical problems. If your car breaks down or becomes immobilized, the insurer will pay for these basic expenses:
- Mechanical labor at the breakdown site for up to one hour.
- Towing to the nearest repair location, if the covered vehicle isn’t in drivable condition. State Farm doesn’t impose a distance limit, unlike other carriers like Geico.
- Towing if the vehicle is stuck on or next to a public road.
- Delivery of gas, oil, battery or tires.
- Locksmith labor if the key is lost, stolen or locked inside the vehicle for up to one hour.
How many tows can I get per year?
State Farm doesn’t limit the number of emergency roadside calls you can make or amount of coverage. However, when we called State Farm’s customer support to confirm, the representative noted that each state may have different rules. California, Texas and Florida don’t have any maximum limit to tows or coverage amount. Ask your agent for more details depending on your state.
What’s not covered?
Like most insurers, State Farm puts standard limits on its roadside assistance. Check with your agent and read the fine print to find out if your policy has additional limitations.
- The cost of towing your vehicle outside State Farm’s limits.
- Labor costs beyond the first hour. This includes mechanical and locksmith labor, the removal of stuck vehicles, the delivery of gas and oil, and assistance with jumpstarting or changing a tire.
- Replacement items such as tires, gas and batteries.
How do I get towing coverage from State Farm?
With State Farm, you can opt into roadside assistance for a fee when you purchase your policy. To buy coverage online, follow these steps:
- Go to the State Farm website.
- On the homepage, click Get a quote.
- Select Auto.
- Enter your ZIP code.
- Fill out the fields for your personal information, driving history, make and model of your car and nominated drivers.
- When you reach the policy add-ons page, choose Emergency Road Service.
If you want to add roadside assistance to your current policy, contact your local agent or call State Farm at 877-627-5757. The team is available 24/7.
If you’re a State Farm customer but don’t have the roadside add-on, you can access its Emergency Roadside Service for a per-use fee, though it’s typically lower than market rates.
How much does State Farm’s roadside assistance cost?
State Farm charges around $12 per year for Emergency Roadside Service add-on coverage. That’s a very reasonable rate compared to other providers. This covers the first hour of labor, whether it’s a breakdown, extrication, towing or locksmith work. After that, you’ll have to pay for any extra expenses out-of-pocket.
How do I use roadside assistance from State Farm?
When you’re stranded, you can get help 24/7. Call 877-627-5757 to talk to a State Farm agent, or use the app to log in to your account, then select your location and the service you need.
By phone. Call 877-627-5757 and an agent records your details and dispatches someone to the site.
- Log into the State Farm app.
- Click Get Roadside Assistance.
- Select the Service you need: Tow, Jumpstart, Flat Tire, Gas/Oil, Locksmith, Stuck Car or Other.
- Enter your Location. If you have location services, your phone may do this automatically, otherwise you can manually type it in.
- Choose the Driver and Vehicle.
- Add your Preferred Contact, if applicable.
- Press Submit Request.
Get free roadside assistance from companies like State Farm
State Farm’s roadside assistance coverage is fairly standard. It covers basic towing and the cost of labor for up to an hour — which is enough time to solve most small mechanical issues and lockouts.
One of the most attractive features of State Farm’s Emergency Roadside Service is its accessibility. All drivers can use it, even if they didn’t purchase it with their policy. To squeeze the most value out of your car insurance, be sure to compare providers.
Frequently asked questions about State Farm towing
Ask an Expert