Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
State Farm roadside assistance and towing
Get unlimited tows with your policy or emergency on-demand support.
Car breakdowns and lockouts can be stressful. And if it happens to you, State Farm has a network of experts on call to help you get your car back on the road. A policy add-on, the 24/7 Emergency Roadside Service pays for towing and labor expenses. But if your repairs take longer than an hour, you’ll have to pay out of pocket.
What does State Farm’s roadside assistance include?
State Farm’s Emergency Roadside Service covers small-scale mechanical problems. If your car breaks down or becomes immobilized, the insurer will pay for these basic expenses:
- Mechanical labor at the breakdown site for up to one hour.
- Towing to the nearest repair location, if the covered vehicle isn’t in drivable condition. State Farm doesn’t impose a distance limit, unlike other carriers like Geico.
- Towing if the vehicle is stuck on or next to a public road.
- Delivery of gas, oil, battery or tires.
- Locksmith labor if the key is lost, stolen or locked inside the vehicle for up to one hour.
How many tows can I get per year?
State Farm doesn’t limit the number of emergency roadside calls you can make or amount of coverage. However, when we called State Farm’s customer support to confirm, the representative noted that each state may have different rules. California, Texas and Florida don’t have any maximum limit to tows or coverage amount. Ask your agent for more details depending on your state.
How much does State Farm’s roadside assistance cost?
State Farm charges around $12 per year for Emergency Roadside Service add-on coverage. That’s a very reasonable rate compared to other providers. This covers the first hour of labor, whether it’s a breakdown, extrication, towing or locksmith work. After that, you’ll have to pay for any extra expenses out-of-pocket.
How do I get towing coverage from State Farm?
With State Farm, you can opt into roadside assistance for a fee when you purchase your policy. To buy coverage online, follow these steps:
- Go to the State Farm website.
- On the homepage, click Get a quote.
- Select Auto.
- Enter your ZIP code.
- Fill out the fields for your personal information, driving history, make and model of your car and nominated drivers.
- When you reach the policy add-ons page, choose Emergency Road Service.
If you want to add roadside assistance to your current policy, contact your local agent or call State Farm at 877-627-5757. The team is available 24/7.
If you’re a State Farm customer but don’t have the roadside add-on, you can access its Emergency Roadside Service for a per-use fee, though it’s typically lower than market rates.
How do I use roadside assistance from State Farm?
When you’re stranded, you can get help 24/7. Call 877-627-5757 to talk to a State Farm agent, or use the app to log in to your account, then select your location and the service you need.
By phone. Call 877-627-5757 and an agent records your details and dispatches someone to the site.
- Log into the State Farm app.
- Click Get Roadside Assistance.
- Select the Service you need: Tow, Jumpstart, Flat Tire, Gas/Oil, Locksmith, Stuck Car or Other.
- Enter your Location. If you have location services, your phone may do this automatically, otherwise you can manually type it in.
- Choose the Driver and Vehicle.
- Add your Preferred Contact, if applicable.
- Press Submit Request.
What doesn’t State Farm towing cover?
Like most insurers, State Farm puts standard limits on its roadside assistance. Check with your agent and read the fine print to find out if your policy has additional limitations.
- The cost of towing your vehicle outside State Farm’s limits.
- Labor costs beyond the first hour. This includes mechanical and locksmith labor, the removal of stuck vehicles, the delivery of gas and oil, and assistance with jumpstarting or changing a tire.
- Replacement items such as tires, gas and batteries.
State Farm’s roadside assistance coverage is fairly standard. It covers basic towing and the cost of labor for up to an hour — which is enough time to solve most small mechanical issues and lockouts.
One of the most attractive features of State Farm’s Emergency Roadside Service is its accessibility. All drivers can use it, even if they didn’t purchase it with their policy. To squeeze the most value out of your car insurance, be sure to compare providers.
Get free roadside assistance from companies like State Farm
Frequently asked questions about State Farm towing
More guides on Finder
Group One Platinum Credit Card review
A store card you can only use at the Horizon Outlet online store.
Principal Platinum Card review
A store card you can use exclusively at the Horizon Outlet online store.
Texas disaster assistance for the 2021 Winter Storm
Here’s where to get financial help for yourself and your business if you’ve been affected by the storm in February 2021.
How to use life insurance to pay for retirement
If you have a cash value policy, you can dip into those funds to pay for expenses in retirement. But there are a few things to keep in mind.
Compare full coverage vs. liability car insurance
Which type of car insurance policy fits your car and driving needs?
Compare tuition insurance
If your child gets sick or injured and has to take time away from college, tuition insurance can reimburse you for what you already paid.
How to get life insurance as a freelancer
As a freelancer you may have unpredictable cashflow, but you can still find income protection with term life insurance.
How to get health insurance
The best time to buy an affordable policy is during the annual open enrollment period, but you can still apply after a qualifying event.
Car insurance for drivers 25 to 40 years old
Take advantage of the lowest minimum coverage rates by earning all the discounts you can.
How does Open Enrollment work?
Find out when you can enroll in health insurance for 2021, and compare policies.
Ask an Expert