What is WorldRemit?
WorldRemit was founded in 2010, and today you can send money to more than 125 countries safely and securely through its simple online process. You indicate the country you’re sending money to and your recipient’s details, and WorldRemit will deliver your cash quickly into the hands of your friends or family.
How are WorldRemit’s exchange rates?
WorldRemit offers guaranteed exchange rates when you need to send money overseas. These rates are updated daily to reflect changing market conditions and generally compare favorably to the rates available from major UK banks. Compare WorldRemit’s exchange rates with those of your bank to see how they stack up.
How much does it cost to transfer money with WorldRemit?
The fee you’ll pay to send your money overseas with WorldRemit depends on the amount you send, where you send it and how your recipient will access the money.
For example, you’ll pay £2.99 for a bank deposit of £1,000 to Mexico, while sending the same amount via bank transfer to China will cost you £9.99.
Minimum transfer amount and available countries
Though limits vary by your recipient’s country, you can generally send from £1 to up to £2,000 in any 24 hours with WorldRemit.
Popular transfer destinations offered by WorldRemit include China, India, Mexico, the Philippines, Canada, Brazil and Guatemala. To see a full list of available countries, visit WorldRemit’s website and reference the drop-down menu when you click “Send to.”
Our experience transferring money with WorldRemit
Here’s what we found when we sent live transfers to Mexico and France through WorldRemit:
- We weren’t able to complete a transfer to Mexico because our recipient didn’t hold an account with one of the banks on WorldRemit’s limited list.
- However, our recipient in France received our funds to their bank account nearly immediately, beating the three-day delivery estimate.
- In addition to low fees, WorldRemit’s exchange rate was within 1.6% of the mid-market rate, with rates updated daily.
- WorldRemit’s easy-to-use website allowed us to sign up and initiate a transfer in about 5 minutes. You also have the option of initiating a transfer by phone.
We recognize WorldRemit as a winner of the finder.com Money Transfer Awards 2017 in the category of Fastest Transfer.
What types of transfers can I make with WorldRemit?
When you need to send money around the world, WorldRemit offers the following one-off transfer options:
- Deposit to your recipient’s bank account. For some banks, your bank transfer will arrive instantly, but it could take one to three business days with other financial institutions.
- Cash pickup. Depending on where you send your funds, your recipient may be able to pick up the cash from one of more than 30,000 collection points minutes of your transfer being placed. For example, funds sent to Mexico can be picked up at a branch of BBVA Bancomer, Telecomm Telegrafos, Chedraui, Pagos Intermex, Envios Confianza, Scotiabank and Bancoppel.
- Transfer to your recipient’s mobile wallet. Funds you send can be instantly added to your recipient’s Mobile Money account.
- Mobile airtime top-up. Airtime you send is instantly added to your recipient’s prepaid cellphone.
If you’re transferring money to the Philippines, your funds can be delivered to your recipient’s home. Depending on their location, this service takes between 24 hours and seven days for receipt.
Unfortunately, WorldRemit does not offer the flexibility of rate locks, forward contracts or recurring transfers.
The registration and transfer process
Before you send money with WorldRemit, you’ll need to sign up for an account with your name, contact details, country of residence, date of birth and proof of government-issued ID.
The next step is entering the details of your transaction. You’ll provide information about where you’re sending your money, the amount you’re sending and how you would like your recipient to access the funds. You will also supply your recipient’s name, contact details and bank account information (for transfers between bank accounts), and you’ll then be presented with a review page.
If you’re happy with the fee and exchange rate that applies to your transaction, send your transfer. When the funds arrive to your recipient and the transaction is complete, both you and your recipient will be notified by email or text.
What do I need to transfer money with WorldRemit?
Sending money overseas with WorldRemit is easy, but you will need:
- A WorldRemit account. It’s easy to set one up while initiating your transfer.
- A valid payment method. Your bank account, credit card or debit card information.
- Your recipient’s name and contact information. If you’re transferring money to a bank account, you’ll also need the bank name, the bank’s SWIFT code and an account number.
- Your contact and banking information. Including the account number and security information for the account you’re transferring from.
How to transfer your money with WorldRemit
What happens next?
- Fast money worldwide in minutes. Your recipient can pick up cash from one of 30,000 agents on completion of your transaction. Bank account transfers are available by the following day.
- Track your money through text. Through SMS or text updates, you’ll know when your money is both sent and received.
- Contact customer service. If you need assistance, WorldRemit is available 24/7 for free on 0207 148 5800 or online using Live Chat.
Pros and cons of using WorldRemit
- Easy-to-use website. We were able to sign up and initiate a transfer in about 5 minutes.
- Worldwide network. Customers in 50 countries can send funds to more than 110 countries, providing global access when you need to transfer money abroad.
- Flexible options. Pay with a credit or debit card or from your bank account. Funds can be deposited into your recipient’s bank account or made available for collection at any of more than 30,000 agent locations.
- Cash is not accepted. You can’t pay for an international money transfer with cash.
- Government-issued ID required. After your first transfer, you’ll need to upload a license or passport, which could deter those without one.
- No live chat option. If you have questions, you can call or email 24/7 for help.
WorldRemit offers a range of competitive features to make your international money transfers as simple and affordable as possible.
However, we suggest comparing its services with those of other money transfer providers before you send funds overseas.
Compare WorldRemit to other providers
|WorldRemit vs. Western Union|
|WorldRemit vs. MoneyGram|
|WorldRemit vs. Chase Bank|