Santander Edge current account review
- Key benefits
- Earn cashback every month on selected household bills and essential spend.
- Account fee
- £3 per month
- Interest (AER)
- 0% AER
- Overseas card transactions
- Representative example
- If you use an arranged overdraft of £1,200, you'll be charged interest at 39.94% EAR variable. Account fee of £3 per month.
If you want to earn yourself some cashback and are happy to pay a monthly fee, Santander Edge could be competitive option. Before you apply, make sure you meet the eligibility criteria and also check how much cashback you are likely to earn. If it's below £3 a month, you may not be getting the most out of the account.
Visit Santander's website to apply or compare other Santander accounts here. You can also compare other current accounts with cashback offers here.
Earn 1% cashback on selected household bills and essential spend
Optional linked savings account
Fee-free ATM withdrawals abroad (at Santander cash machines)
Dedicated 24-hour customer support
£3 account management fee
Strict eligibility criteria
Interest on overdraft is 39.94% EAR
|Account name||Santander Edge current account|
|Account fee||£3 per month|
|ATM withdrawal limit||£300|
|Card type||Cash / Debit|
|Minimum eligibility age||18 Years|
|Minimum operating balance||£0.01|
|Minimum opening balance||£0.01|
|Current account switch guarantee|
|Foreign cash currency fee in Europe||0%|
|Foreign cash currency fee in rest of world||0%|
|Foreign cash transaction fee in Europe||£0|
|Foreign cash transaction fee in rest of world||£0|
|Arranged overdraft available|
|Arranged overdraft rate||39.94%|
|Overdraft Grace Period||20:00 same day|
|Representative example||If you use an arranged overdraft of £1,200, you'll be charged interest at 39.94% EAR variable. Account fee of £3 per month.|
Santander UK is a wholly owned subsidiary of global Banco Santander. It has been in the UK market since 2004 and is now a recognisable high street presence. It offers a range of current accounts including personal, private, business and corporate accounts.
What is the Santander Edge current account?
The Santander Edge current account is an everyday bank account which allows you to earn cashback on selected household bills and essential spending. In return, you’ll need to pay a £3 monthly fee to maintain the account and you’ll need to meet certain eligibility criteria.
You can open the account individually or jointly and you can access it online, through the mobile app, via telephone banking or in branch.
How does it work?
The Santander Edge account offers the following key features:
- Cashback. Earn 1% cashback on selected household bills when you pay by direct debit (up to £10 a month). Earn 1% cashback at supermarkets and on travel costs when you use your debit card (up to £10 a month).
- Linked savings account. Access to the Santander Edge saver account.
- Arranged overdraft. Overdraft option with a rate of 39.94% EAR.
- Fee-free withdrawals abroad. At Santander cash machines when you choose the local currency.
- Global support. Access to 12,000 Santander branches in 12 countries.
- Call centre support. Access to a 24-hour dedicated call centre for all your banking needs.
Who is it for?
To open the Santander Edge account you’ll need to be at least 18 years old and permanently live in the UK. You can hold a maximum of 2 Santander Edge current accounts, one in your own name and one in joint names.
To qualify for cashback you must also pay in £500 a month and have at least 2 active direct debits.
What are the benefits?
There are several benefits to opening a Santander Edge account. As well as offering cashback on selected household bills, you can earn cashback on essential spending at supermarkets and on travel. There is also the option to open the linked Santander Edge savings account at 4.00% AER on balances up to £4,000, including a 0.50% AER bonus rate for the first 12 months from opening.
How to apply
You can apply for a Santander Edge account online in just 10 minutes. Alternatively, you can call the UK customer service centre or go into your nearest branch.