RBS Premier Select current account review
The RBS Premier Select current account offers a little extra with your banking. Find out more here.
|Account name||Premier Select|
|Provider||Royal Bank of Scotland|
|ATM withdrawal limit||£300|
|Card type||Cash / Debit|
|Minimum eligibility age||18 Years|
|Mininum operating balance||£0.01|
|Minimum opening balance||£0.01|
|Current account switch guarantee|
Established in Edinburgh in 1727, the Royal Bank of Scotland (or RBS) is a major retail and commercial bank in Scotland. It is one of the banking subsidiaries of NatWest Group which includes NatWest and Ulster Bank.
Here, we review the RBS Premier Select current account.
What is the RBS Premier Select current account?
The RBS Premier Select current account works in a similar way to a standard bank account, but offers one-to-one expert help and support on top.
There is no monthly fee to pay for the account, but you will need to meet certain financial criteria to qualify. You can open an individual or joint account and it comes with a contactless Visa debit card.
How does it work?
The key features of the RBS Premier Select account are outlined below:
- Round-the-clock support. Access to expert help and support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, both online and over the phone.
- Financial help. A Premier Banking Manager is available to help with more complex financial decisions or plans.
- Enhanced level of insurance cover. Available if you need it with Premier Insurance.
- Access to RBS’s will writing and executor services. Helping you to plan for the future. A fee will apply.
- Arranged overdraft. This is subject to eligibility.
- Free receipt management tool. Store, track and capture your receipts via the mobile app.
Who is it for?
To be eligible for the RBS Premier Select account, you must be at least 18 years old and a permanent UK resident. Additionally, you must meet one of the following criteria:
- Minimum sole income of £100,000 or joint income of £120,000 paid into your RBS account
- £500,000 minimum mortgage borrowing with RBS
- Minimum £100,000 savings or investments held with RBS.
What are the benefits?
Providing you meet the above eligibility criteria, the RBS Premier Select account offers 24/7 expert help, with one-to-one financial support whenever you need it. It also gives you access to tailored and exclusive products such as insurance.
How to apply
You can open the RBS Premier Select account online. You’ll need to provide details such as your address history, monthly income and ID. RBS estimates you should be able to complete your online application within an average lunch break.
Pros and cons of the account
- No monthly fee
- Round-the-clock support, including a dedicated banking manager
- Arranged overdraft available
- Access to exclusive products such as insurance
- Strict eligibility criteria
- Overdrafts are charged at 19.49% EAR
- No interest paid on in-credit balances
If you’re after an account that offers round-the-clock support and a dedicated banking manager to help you with your financial affairs, the RBS Premier Select account is well worth considering. The downside is that you’ll need to earn a high salary and have substantial savings and investments to qualify, and these must be held with RBS. If you are not eligible, or even if you are, it’s worth shopping around to see what else is available. Visit RBS’s website to apply or compare other RBS accounts here.