Peugeot 106 insurance group
Compare car insurance costs for your Peugeot 106 based on your age and location.
The Peugeot 106 was the French manufacturer’s entry-level hatchback produced throughout the 1990s and early 2000s. There are still plenty on the road today. In this guide, you’ll discover everything you need to know about the costs involved in insuring this vehicle.
What insurance group does the Peugeot 106 fall under?
All vehicles are given a specific insurance group, based on how expensive they should be to insure, before they are sold to the general public. These groups range from 1 (cheapest) to 50 (most expensive). Insurers will use these groups to set you a suitable premium. Peugeot 106 models can be found in insurance groups ranging from 7 to 25, meaning the car insurance will be on the cheap side.
However, the costs will vary slightly depending on the specific model of Peugeot 106 you choose and the insurance group it falls in. As an example, a 30-year-old driver in an average postcode could pay around £688 for cover on a Peugeot 106 1.1 Zest 3d that is in insurance group 7 or around £868 for a Peugeot 106 1.6 16V GTi 3d that is in insurance group 25. This comparison clearly illustrates the impact of premium pricing when one car is in a much higher insurance group.
Peugeot 106 insurance cost by location
The table above shows the average cost of Peugeot 106 insurance based on insurance groups and driver age. However, there are many other factors that affect the cost of your car insurance premiums, one of the biggest being your location.
To show the power of the postcode, here are some average quotes for a 30-year-old living in three different locations. The quotes are for an Peugeot 106 1.1 Zest2 3d.
- Expensive: £823 (London SE1)
- Average: £688 (Newcastle NE1)
- Cheap: £492 (Galashiels TD1)
Which factors affect my Peugeot 106 insurance rate?
Along with insurance group, there are a number of key factors that have the biggest impact on your insurance premium costs:
- Engine type and capacity. In general, cars with larger engines cost more to insure. This is because bigger engines cost more to repair and replace. For example, it may cost £823 for insurance for a Peugeot 106 1.1 Zest 3d, while you may pay £997 for a Peugeot 106 1.6 16V GTi 3d. That’s £174 per year extra to cover a Peugeot 106 with an engine that’s 0.5 litres bigger.
- Driver location. Insurers will use your address to determine the likelihood of you making a claim on your car insurance, based on previous claims data. For example, a 30-year-old in central London may pay £823 for insurance for a Peugeot 106 1.5 D Zen 5d, while the same 30-year-old in Newcastle may only pay £688. This £135 annual difference occurs because Londoners are historically more likely to claim on their car insurance than those living in Newcastle.
- Driver age. The youngest drivers pay more for car insurance because they are the age group most likely to make a claim on their policy. As an example, the average 20-year-old driver in London may pay £1,471 for the Peugeot 106 1.5 D Zest3 3d, while the average 40-year-old Londoner will only pay £771. That’s a £700 per year difference between the two age groups to insure the same vehicle. The 20-year-old has to pay almost double, such is their added risk to insurance companies.
Other factors that influence the cost of your insurance include:
- Your car’s safety rating score
- The model of your car
- The age of your car
- Your car’s security and any extra anti-theft precautions
- Annual miles driven
- Your driving history and activity, including your no-claim discount
- Your marital status
- Your credit history
- Your occupation
How can I save on my Peugeot 106 premium?
Car insurance may be a necessary legal requirement if you want to keep your car on the road and drive it, but that doesn’t mean it needs to break the bank. There are several actions you can take to lower the cost of your premium and find the cheapest deal possible. We’ve listed some ideas below.
- Limit your car usage (where possible). Occasionally deciding to walk or getting public transport, rather than using your car, can help to save on your premium.
- Pay annually rather than monthly. When you pay annually, you eliminate the possibility of being charged interest on monthly insurance payments.
- Install extra safety precautions. The safer you can make your car, the less of a risk it will be for companies to insure. That’s why so many insurers are happy to offer you a discount when you install extra safety measures.
- Don’t just accept your renewal quote. Although it might be time consuming, make sure you shop around for the best car insurance deal each year using price comparison websites. Don’t just settle for the renewal price given to you – there may be cheaper options out there!
The Peugeot 106 is an affordable car to buy, run and insure and is therefore great for first-time drivers. Better yet, you can lower your premiums even further by following the tips in this guide.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Volvo V60 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Volvo V60 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Chrysler Ypsilon insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Chrysler Ypsilon falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Lotus Elise insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Lotus Elise falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Volkswagen Bora insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Volkswagen Bora falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Skoda Roomster insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Skoda Roomster falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Peugeot RCZ insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Peugeot RCZ falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Smart Fortwo insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Smart Fortwo falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Kia Sedona insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Kia Sedona falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Toyota Supra insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Toyota Supra falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Peugeot 407 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Peugeot 407 falls under and how much it costs to insure.