Find out who to use to send money to the United Arab Emirates in the time you want for the price you want.
There are a range of companies suited to different purposes that can send money between the UK and the UAE. Whether you’re looking to send emergency cash in minutes, pay contractors or you need help expatriating funds to buy property, we look at different money transfer companies so you can find the right provider to send money to the United Arab Emirates for your needs.
Compare International Money Transfers
Save money on your personal or business international money transfer today. Fill in the form and you’ll be contacted by a foreign exchange expert to have an obligation-free discussion about your options.
With over 17 years of foreign exchange expertise and over $100 billion transferred, OFX can help with all your currency exchange needs, including:
- Buying property abroad
- Regular overseas payments
- Risk management
- If the provider quotes a different rate to the one above please let us know
Banks versus money transfer companies
Banks and money transfer companies both let you send money to the United Arab Emirates; however, the services operate in different ways. You can see some of the key differences between these two types of payment provider below.
|UK Bank||Money Transfer Service 1||Money Transfer Service 2|
|Exchange rate||N/A||1 GBP = 5.018524 AED||1 GBP = 5.2700 AED|
|Transfer fee||£20.00 GBP||£46.00 GBP||£ 14.74|
|Amount received for £1,000 (in UAE dirham)||N/A||5,018.52 AED||5,192.27 AED|
|Transfer time||4 working days||10 minutes||1 – 4 working days|
|Transfer options||Bank account deposit||Cash pickup||Bank account deposit|
|Difference of||N/A||N/A||+173.75 AED|
Correct 27/01/16 – 10.30AMBack to top
How do I compare transfer companies when transferring and receiving money
- Exchange rate. What rate can the international payment provider offer to exchange GBP to AED. Rates can vary depending on the collection option.
- Payment methods. How will the provider let you pay for the transfer? Some providers allow bank deposit, others allow cash payment and you can also pay with your credit card or debit card.
- Transfer time. How long before the funds are ready to collect or withdraw. Credit card, debit card and cash payments clear almost instantly. Bank account deposits can take days to clear.
- Collection options. How is the money sent. Some companies have agents where cash can be collected, other companies can deposit funds in the recipient’s bank account.
- Limits. How much or little do you need to send. Companies have a minimum transfer amount and some offer fee free transfers for international payments to the United Arab Emirates over a specific size.
- Extras. Does the provider offer any additional business or trading services such as limit, stop loss orders or recurring payments.
- Customer service. Does the provider provide a UK based customer service team.
How do I send money to the United Arab Emirates from the UK?
You can send money to the UAE online via your bank, a third party foreign exchange specialist or an international cash payment provider. Some companies like Western Union let you pay cash in person too.
- Bank to bank transfers. You can send money to the UAE by logging in to your online banking facility. Transfers can take up to 4 business days before the funds clear in the recipient’s bank account.
- Foreign exchange specialists. These companies let you send money online to the UAE. Pay for your transfer by making a bank account deposit or using your credit or debit card and funds can clear in a UAE bank account in couple of business days.
- Currencyfair – Make a Faster Payments, or BACS deposit to Currencyfair and they will make a SWIFT payment to a UAE bank account. Funds can be available in approximately 4 business days.
- FC Exchange – FC Exchange offer a range of ways to pay Emirati bank accounts including one off, forward and recurring payments.
- Moneycorp – Moneycorp have a UK based customer service team available to contact outside regular business hours. Moneycorp offer one off and recurring payments as well as contracts to target a desired rate.
- TorFX – TorFX offer a best rate guarantee on international payments to the United Arab Emirates.
- Transferwise – Pay with your credit, debit card or bank transfer to transfer funds to the UAE. Funds are available in up to 4 business days.
- Travelex – Travelex and Western Union have teamed-up to offer international payments under the Travelex brand.
- UK Forex – Pay no fees to send money to the UAE when you transfers over £3,000. Bank account, debit and credit card payments are accepted.
- Worldfirst – Pay no transfer fees, Worldfirst have a minimum transfer amount of £1,000.
- International cash payment providers. Companies such as MoneyGram or Western Union can make cash ready to collect in the UAE in just minutes. Pay using cash, debit, credit card or bank account transfer. Transfer time and transfer fees vary depending on how the funds are sent and received.
- Azimo – Azimo have about 80 different cash collection options in the UAE. Funds can be made available in minutes. Azimo also offers bank account transfers to the UAE.
- MoneyGram – A quick search shows almost 100 locations to collect cash in Dubai alone. MoneyGram can get cash to the UAE quickly. Fees vary based on transfer options.
- Western Union – As well as bank account deposits, Western Union operates a cash collection service. Western Union have hundreds and hundreds of agents across the United Arab Emirates.
- Ria Financial Services – Another cash payment service, Ria Financial Services has about 20 different cash location agents in Abu Dhabi.
How do I receive money from the United Arab Emirates in the UK?
The method for receiving money in the UK depends on how the funds are being sent.
- Bank account deposits. If the money is sent to your bank account, you’ll need to provide your bank’s SWIFT code and your account IBAN and BIC.
- Cash collection. If funds are sent using an international cash payment service, you’ll need to provide identification and the transfer reference code when you collect the cash.
Emergency cash transfers in the United Arab Emirates
Do you need to get money to the UAE quick? Here are your options for accessing emergency cash.
- International cash payment service. Request a cash payment from the UK and you can collect the money from an agent in the UAE in just minutes.
- Card scheme emergency assistance. Companies like MasterCard can issue the funds in your account as cash if your card is losten or stolen. Emergency cash requests can be available to collect in a day.
- Travel insurance. Have a look at your travel insurance policy. An emergency cash benefit is included in some coverable events.
- Al Ansari Exchange
Shop #fd 50 1st Flr D-zone, Dragon Mart 2
Dubai, Hatta Oman Road 6176
Open Monday to Thursday,
Saturday & Sunday 9.00AM to 11.59PM
Open Friday 2.00PM to 11.59PM
+971 4 4533641
- Emirates Post
Almounaee Branch – Beside Rak Bank Dubai,
Open Monday to Thursday,
Saturday & Sunday 8.00AM to 3.00PM
+971 04 8525052
- Al Fardan Exchange
Shop No. 5, Ground Floor Rashi Abu Dhabi,
Open Monday to Thursday,
Saturday & Sunday 9.00AM to 9.00PM
Open Friday 5.30PM to 9.00PM
+971 2 6269661
- Emirates Post
Masdar City Abu Dhabi, Masdar City 7000
Open Monday to Sunday 8.00AM to 3.00PM
+971 4 2303483
- International Development Exchange – SHA
Clock Tower near central pvt. hospital, Sharjah
Open Monday to Thursday,
Saturday & Sunday 9.00AM to 8.30PM
+971 6 5628250
- GCC Exchange – Sharjah – Rolla
Shop 3 4 & 12, Sahrjah
Open Monday to Sunday 8.00AM to 11.00PM
+971 6 5219992
- Malik Exchange
Megastore opposite Emirates Driving School 55, Musaffah 0.
Open Monday to Sunday 8.30AM to 11.00PM
+971 2 5503380
- Emirates International Exchange
Ground floor, Shop No. 4. Badha Alhaer Industrial Area, Al Ain
Open Monday to Sunday 9.00AM to 10.00PM
+971 3 7556036
Tips for picking up cash in the United Arab Emirates
Approximately 1 million British nationals visit the United Arab Emirates every year. And although uk.gov has issued a high terror alert, most trips to the UAE go off without a hitch. If you’re concerned about picking up cash in the United Arab Emirates, it can be a good idea to travel in a group. If you’re on your own, you may want to ask the hotel concierge for information about getting an escort to and from the hotel.
What are the steps to send money to the United Arab Emirates?
The steps to send money to the Emirates vary depending on how you plan on sending the money.
- Bank account transfers. To transfer money from your bank account simply log on to your internet banking facility and select the option that allows you to make an international payment. You’ll need the recipient’s SWIFT code, IBAN and BIC.
- Third party international transfers. To send money using one of the online foreign exchange providers listed on this page, you’ll need to create a free account first. For most providers, this process can be completed in a couple of minutes. Some companies require a photocopy of your identification and proof of address before registration is complete.
To create an account, you’ll need to provide the following.
- Personal details.
- Contact information.
- Residential details.
Once you’ve paid for a transfer, you should be issued with a tracking number you can use to check on the status of your international payment to the United Arab Emirates.