Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Compare kit car insurance
Find out how to get coverage for your custom-built car.
Kit car insurance is any insurance policy on a car that wasn’t put together by a traditional manufacturer. Because these cars often have expensive parts and lack the security features of mass-produced cars, they can be expensive to insure. If you currently own a kit car, or are planning on building one, getting it insured is part of the process of getting it street legal. And if you’re buying expensive parts, you may want to consider getting it insured while you’re building it.
What coverage do I need for my kit car?
Most kit cars will be insured at an agreed value. This means that you and your insurance company will agree on an amount that the car is worth if it’s totaled. This amount should factor in the cost of the parts as well as the cost of your labor and effort.
There are three main types of coverage available. What kind of coverage you get will depend on your kit car’s value plus any financing requirements.
- Liability. This is legally required in most states and covers you if you damage someone else’s property or injure someone in an accident.
- Collision. As well as covering you for any damage you cause in an accident, this also provides protection for damage to your kit car caused by a collision.
- Comprehensive. This covers damage not caused by a collision, such as storm damage or theft.
If you use your kit car in competitive racing, you’ll need to get additional racing insurance to cover you when you race.
How to insure your car while you build it
You can also get coverage while you’re building your kit car. This is known as vehicle under construction insurance and can protect you from damage and theft while you’re working on your car. Some policies may also cover damage to parts and tools.
Another option is temporary car insurance, if you’ll only be driving the car occasionally as a test drive or during car parades.
How much is kit car insuranace?
The cost of your kit car insurance will be determined by the level of coverage you need, your age, location and driving history as well as the estimated value of your kit car and the risk it poses to an insurer.
As kit cars are rare and often unique, insurance prices can vary significantly. You’ll need to get specialized insurance, which may be labeled rare car insurance or classic car insurance, which may cost more than regular car insurance.
How to save on kit car insurance
To get the best deal on your policy:
- Choose a higher deductible. You can reduce the size of your premiums by choosing a higher deductible, which is the amount you have to pay when you make a claim.
- Get the right type of coverage. If you’ll only be driving your kit car occasionally, it may be worth considering getting just liability coverage or even temporary car insurance.
- Improve your security. You can cut the cost of insurance by storing your kit car in a secure location and fitting it with cameras and alarms.
- Check for discounts. You may be able to save money on insurance by bundling your kit car insurance with other policies or looking into the insurance discounts you qualify for.
- Choose the right sum insured amount. If your kit car is destroyed or written off, you’ll want to make sure you’re covered for the entire cost of replacing your vehicle.
- Check with kit car clubs. Some kit car clubs may offer insurance discounts or deals to members. If you’re part of a club, you may also be able to ask other members where to find the best kit car insurance.
- Compare your options. Because kit cars require specialized insurance, there’s often a big difference in price between insurers. Always compare a range of providers and policies to ensure you get the best insurance for the cheapest price.
Compare kit car insurance
Putting a kit car together can be a rewarding project, but it isn’t over when the last piece goes on. You’ll need to title, register and insure your car before you can drive it. To get the best deal, compare car insurers and get quotes from several companies.
Frequently asked questions about kit car insurance
More guides on Finder
Lemonade car insurance review for 2021
Safe drivers and electric car owners could see cheap rates, but its claims process isn’t perfect.
How much does umbrella insurance cost?
Get a low-cost policy for liability expenses that exceed your car or home insurance coverage.
Best umbrella insurance
Receive extra liability coverage with an umbrella policy from these top insurers, though they may require you to have car insurance through them.
Most dangerous roads in the USA
Do you drive on one of the 30 most dangerous interstates, highways and state routes?
Guardian vision insurance review May 2021
Get a generous allowance to put towards contact lenses or frames with this plan.
How to start a cleaning business
From making a business plan and getting insurance to marketing and setting your prices — here’s how to start your own cleaning business.
Guardian dental insurance review 2021
This insurer has four dental plans to choose from — compare costs and features now.
You can now pay for car insurance in Bitcoin – here’s how
You can pay for car insurance in Bitcoin, even if your insurer doesn’t accept it yet.
Lemonade life insurance review
This fintech just branched out into low-cost life insurance — but its lineup is limited.
Compare life insurance wellness programs
Get an incentive to meet your existing health and fitness goals with a discounted premium.