Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Golden 1 Credit Union banking products: Savings, Checking, and CDs
This credit union offers checking and savings accounts with no monthly fees to California residents.
Am I eligible?
You’ll need to open a Regular Savings account with a $1 deposit and meet one of the following requirements to become a Golden 1 member:
- Live or work in California
- Relative or domestic partner of a current Golden 1 member
- Member of a Select Employee Group
What banking products does Golden 1 Credit Union offer?
How does Golden 1 Credit Union compare to other banks and services?Golden 1 Credit Union was founded in 1933 and is headquartered in Sacramento, California. It’s open to consumers in California and has over 70 branches sprinkled throughout the state. Although it’s quite small compared to other credit unions, it manages nearly $13 billion in assets and has one million members.
- Many free accounts. You won’t pay monthly fees on any account except for the Premium Checking account.
- CO-OP ATM network. Golden 1 is part of the CO-OP ATM network, which gives members free access to over 30,000 ATMs nationwide.
- Free incoming wire transfers. You won’t pay a dime for incoming domestic and international wire transfers.
- Other fees. Golden 1 charges $29.50 for overdrafts, $2 for non-network ATMs, $25 for stop payment orders and $10 if you visit a branch for a debit card replacement.
- Low APYs. The Premium Checking account earns interest, but the rate is only 0.10% and you must maintain a $1,000 minimum daily balance to qualify.
- No business accounts. Unlike other credit unions, Golden 1 doesn’t offer any business checking account options.
- Dividend payouts. Members with interest-bearing accounts earn monthly dividends.
- No monthly fees. The only savings account that has an associated monthly fee is the Money Market Savings account.
- Specialized accounts. Golden 1 offers Christmas savings accounts, Youth Savings accounts for kids and FlexSavings accounts for those who want to save for financial goals automatically.
- Subpar APYs. Besides its Coverdell Education Savings account, most Golden 1 products earn a low 0.1% APY.
- Minimum balance requirements. You need to keep at least $100 in some accounts to earn interest.
- Withdrawal limits. If you make more than six outgoing transactions a month, Golden 1 reserves the right to close your savings account. But this policy could be temporarily suspended due to the coronavirus. Check with Golden 1.
- No monthly fees. You won’t pay anything to open or maintain a Golden 1 CD.
- Flexible terms. Lock your money away in a Golden 1 CD for as short as three months or as long as five years.
- Penalty-free interest withdrawals. Although you can’t touch your initial deposit until maturity, you can request to have your dividends sent to another account at any time.
- High opening deposit. You’ll need to have at least $1,000 on hand to open a CD with Golden 1.
- Early withdrawal penalty. Golden 1 charges a penalty fee equal to 90 to 365 days’ interest depending on the length of your CD term if you need to access your funds early.
- Only one CD type. This credit union doesn’t offer any no-penalty or special CDs of any kind.
- Convenient customer service. Representatives are available by phone and email weekly, and you can visit a local branch during business hours.
- Financial tools. Golden 1 offers free tools to help you develop and manage a budget, organize transactions and track spending.
- Compatible with Quicken, Mint and Buxfer. Its online banking software integrates with Quicken, Mint and Buxfer, so you can link them up and manage all your financial accounts in one place.
- No business products. Golden 1 doesn’t offer any checking or savings account options for businesses.
- Small service area. Golden 1 doesn’t service states outside of California.
- No live chat. While most credit unions have a live chat function on their websites, Golden 1 doesn’t. If you want to chat without visiting a branch, you’ll have to call or email someone.
Compare Golden 1 Credit Union to the competition
Golden 1 Credit Union customer service
There are several ways to chat with Golden 1 customer support:
- Call 877-465-3361 or 916-732-2900 weekdays from 7:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. PT and weekends from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. PT
- Email email@example.com
- Visit a local branch
- Send mail to:
Golden 1 Credit UnionPO Box 15966
Sacramento, CA 95852-0966
Golden 1 offers a comprehensive range of free checking and savings accounts to California residents. And while it pays dividends monthly, rates are low at 0.20% for most accounts.
If you’re looking for a free account with stronger yields, explore your options until you find a financial institution that’s right for you.
Frequently asked questions
Read more on this topic
How to open a business bank account Opening a business bank account is easier than you think. Explore our guide on how to do it.
What is zero-based budgeting? Dave Ramsey swears by this budgeting method, but can it really help you avoid overspending?
How to get cheaper rent Use these tips to lower your current rent — or save up for a new place if your landlord won’t budge.
Second stimulus check: Will I qualify? A second wave of stimulus checks could be making their way to US taxpayers.
Best banks and credit unions in Texas Explore our top five picks for best banks in the Lone Star State.
Best banks and credit unions in New York Check out the five best places to store your money in the Empire State.
Stimulus check: How much you'll get and when 7 tips on smart ways you can think about using your stimulus check. Description on our main page that summarizes what the article is about.
Best banks and credit unions in California We’ve rounded up the best five places to store your money as a California resident.
What is an ACH transfer? What to expect when you transfer money to a bank account through an ACH transfer
Aspiration banking products: Savings, Checking, and CDs Aspiration Bank gives you control over your monthly fees with 1% APY on savings.