Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Explore Golden 1 Credit Unions suite of bank accounts
This credit union offers checking and savings accounts with no monthly fees to California residents.
Am I eligible?
You’ll need to open a Regular Savings account with a $1 deposit and meet one of the following requirements to become a Golden 1 member:
- Live or work in California
- Relative or domestic partner of a current Golden 1 member
- Member of a Select Employee Group
What banking products does Golden 1 Credit Union offer?
Why should I open an account at Golden 1 Credit Union?
Golden 1 has a sprinkling of benefits that make it stand out from the pack:
- Many free accounts. Only two accounts have monthly maintenance fees — the Premium Checking and Money Market Savings accounts.
- Dividend payouts. Members with interest-bearing accounts earn monthly dividends.
- CO-OP ATM network. Golden 1 is part of the CO-OP ATM network, which gives members free access to over 30,000 ATMs nationwide.
- Free incoming wire transfers. You won’t pay a dime for incoming domestic and international wire transfers.
What should I look out for?
While Golden 1 has its perks, you should watch out for these potential drawbacks:
- No business products. Golden 1 doesn’t offer any checking or savings account options for businesses.
- Small service area. Golden 1 doesn’t service states outside of California.
- Subpar APYs. Besides its Coverdell Education Savings account, most Golden 1 products earn a low 0.20% APY.
Compare with leading bank accounts
Golden 1 Credit Union customer service
There are several ways to chat with Golden 1 customer support:
- Call 877-465-3361 or 916-732-2900 weekdays from 7:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. PT and weekends from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. PT
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Visit a local branch
- Send mail to:
- Golden 1 Credit UnionPO Box 15966
Sacramento, CA 95852-0966
Golden 1 offers a comprehensive range of free checking and savings accounts to California residents. And while it pays dividends monthly, rates are low at 0.20% for most accounts.
If you’re looking for a free account with stronger yields, explore your options until you find a financial institution that’s right for you.
Frequently asked questions
Read more on this topic
Explore Aspiration's suite of accounts Aspiration Bank gives you control over your monthly fees with 1% APY on savings.
Explore Community First Credit Union’s suite of bank accounts Community First Credit Union offers big-bank account features to a limited Northeast Florida membership.
Compare CD vs. savings account Compare pros, cons, interest rates, features, fees and more.
Compare CD vs. bond Explore the differences between CDs and bonds to learn which is right for you.
Explore Mutual of Omaha Bank’s suite of accounts Full line of banking and investing options, but limited physical locations
Explore Commerce Bank’s suite of bank accounts Explore this regional bank’s pros, cons and account options.
Explore Alaska USA Federal Credit Union’s suite of bank accounts Offers 24/7 customer support and a suite of accounts to four states.
Explore KeyBank’s suite of bank accounts This regional bank offers 20+ checking and savings accounts in 15 states.
Explore America First Credit Union’s suite of bank accounts Offers high APYs and plenty of variety, but it only services five states.
Explore Delta Community Credit Union’s suite of bank accounts Features free accounts and 24/7 phone support for metro Atlanta and Delta employees.