USAA Military Affiliate Card review
Support a military affiliate group using this card.
- Get this card if you currently serve, or have served, in the US armed forces and want a rewards card with no annual fee.
- Pick something else if you don’t meet USAA eligibility requirements or want a card with bigger rewards.
- Apply with a good to an excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
Points as welcome offer
Up to 1x
10.9% to 25.9%
Purchase APR (variable)
|Product Name||USAA Military Affiliate Card|
|Purchase APR||10.9% to 25.9% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||0% intro for the first 12 months (then 10.9% to 25.9% variable)|
|Balance transfer fee||3%|
|Cash advance rate||10.9% to 25.9% variable|
|Cash advance fee||3% of the cash advance amount|
|Foreign transaction fee||None|
|Interest free period||Up to 25 days|
|Late payment fee||Up to $35|
|Returned payment fee||Up to $35|
|Additional cardholder fee||$0|
Steven Dashiell is a credit cards staff writer at Finder. He's worked on over 150 Finder articles to help readers embrace and maximize credit cards. Steven has nearly a decade of research and reporting experience, and has also been a reporter and editor for several healthcare newsletters.
This is a great all-around credit card for military and ex-military members as it offers reward options, an introductory APR on balance transfers and convenience checks with no annual fee.
While the rewards aren’t the highest you can find with a military card, this card’s Swiss-army-knife approach to features makes it a simple and valuable everyday option. Plus, the USAA will donate a portion of your purchases to the military organization of your choice.
This credit card is for those who serve, or have previously served, in the US armed forces. The USAA Military Affiliate Card can also help you build credit, and they offer additional perks such as rewards.
- 0% Introductory APR for 12 months.Get an intro APR on balance transfers and convenience checks that post within the first 12 months. The 10.9% to 25.9% variable regular APR will apply after that.
- Earn points.
Get 2,500 bonus points credited to your account with your first purchase. Then earn 1x point for every dollar in purchases, with no cap or expiration date on points.
- Choose an affiliate.
Get access to this card if you’re a member of one of the following organizations: Air Force (choose among 15 options), Army (15 options), Coast Guard (12 options), Marines (14 options), Navy (15 options), and Veterans’ Groups (17 options).
- No annual fee.
Don’t worry about having to pay anything to own the card.
- Variable rates.
Get as low as 10.9% variable APR Annual Percentage Rate on purchases and cash advances.
What to watch out for
You’ll need to be a current or former member of the US armed forces to use this card.
- Modest rewards.
There are military credit cards out there with higher reward potential.
USAA Military Affiliate Card Features
- Regular APR. Annual Percentage Rate for purchases, balance transfers, and cash advances, based on your creditworthiness and other factors. This APR will vary with the market, based on the Prime Rate.
- Introductory APR. For balance transfers and convenience checks. Introductory APR for . After , your APR will be , based on your creditworthiness and other factors. This APR will vary with the market, based on the Prime Rate.
- Penalty APR. None.
- Balance transfer fee. Credit worthiness.
- Cash advance fee. 3%. Fee waived when transferring funds electronically to a USAA deposit account.
- Foreign transaction fee. None.
- Late payment fee. $25 for the first return payment within prior six billing periods, otherwise $35.
- Over-the-credit-limit fee. $0.
- Reward points can be redeemed for any of the following:
- Airline Travel Rewards — toward the purchase of an airline ticket.
- Merchandise and Gift Card Rewards — for available merchandise and gift cards.
- Cash Redemption Rewards — for cash.
- Charitable Contribution Rewards — for a donation to participating charities.
- Cruise Travel Rewards — toward the purchase of a cruise ticket.
Compare no annual fee credit cards
What do I need to know before I apply?
In order to apply for the USAA Military Affiliate Card, you must be a member of the military, a veteran who was honorably discharged or an eligible family member of military personnel. You also must be:
- A US citizen or permanent resident
- At least 18 years old
Always consider your options and your financial situation before you apply for a credit card.
Required documents information
- Full name and address
- Marital status
- Contact information
- Proof of employment and income
The USAA Military Affiliate Card is a more than solid credit card choice for military members and one that happens to include a number of useful perks. Make sure you choose your favored military organization to get your donations rolling with each purchase.
Compare rewards credit cards for even more ways to earn for your spending.