Smart Forfour insurance group
Compare car insurance costs for your Smart Forfour based on your age and location.
The Smart Forfour is a small and quirky, 4-door, 4-passenger vehicle. It doesn’t have a lot of power, but it’s a fun and affordable drive. In this guide, you’ll discover how much you could expect to pay to insure a Smart Forfour based on your age and location.
What insurance group does the Smart Forfour fall under?
Every car you see on the road is assigned a specific insurance group before being available for sale. These groups range from group 1 (cheapest) to group 50 (most expensive). These help insurers determine a reasonable cost of your premium. Smart Forfour models are found in insurance groups 1 to 11, meaning they’re among the cheapest cars to insure. There could be a significant difference depending on your choice of model though. As an example, a 30-year-old driver in an average postcode could pay around £556 for cover on a Smart Forfour Pure 71hp 5d that is in insurance group 1 or around £711 for a Smart Forfour 0.9 Turbo Edition 1 5d that is in insurance group 9. This shows the impact on premium pricing when one car is in a much higher insurance group.
Smart Forfour insurance cost by location
Among the aspects that impact the cost of your car insurance premium, one of the most significant is your location.
To highlight the potential impact of your home address, here are some average quotes for a 30-year-old living in 3 different locations. The quotes are for a Smart Forfour 0.9 Turbo Passion 5d Auto.
- Expensive: £836 (London SE1)
- Average: £700 (Newcastle NE1)
- Cheap: £505 (Galashiels TD1)
Which factors affect my Smart Forfour insurance rate?
Along with insurance group, there are many other key factors that affect your insurance premium cost:
- Engine type and capacity. Cars with larger engines typically cost more to insure. For example, it may cost £715 for insurance for a Smart Forfour 1.0 Edition 1 5d, while you may pay £836 for a Smart Forfour 0.9 Turbo Proxy Premium Night Sky 5d Auto. So, that’s an extra £121 per year for a more powerful engine.
- Driver location. As we’ve explored, insurers use your home address to determine the likelihood of you making a claim, based on historical data. This affects the cost of your premium. For example, a 30-year-old in central London may pay £678 for insurance for a Smart Forfour 1.0 Proxy 5d, while the same 30-year-old in Newcastle may only pay £582. That’s an extra £96 per year that the average 30-year-old would pay in London compared to Newcastle.
- Driver age. The youngest drivers will pay the most for car insurance because they are the most likely to make a claim. As an example, the average 20-year-old driver in London may pay £1,454 for the Smart Forfour 0.9 Turbo Passion 5d, while the average 40-year-old Londoner will only pay £762. That’s almost double that the 20-year-old driver would pay in this scenario.
Other factors that influence the cost of your insurance include:
- The model and age of your car
- Your car’s safety rating score
- Your car’s safety rating features
- Your car’s anti-theft precautions
- Your annual mileage
- Your driving history and activity
- Your no-claim discount
- Your marital status
- Your credit history and job
How can I save on my Smart Forfour premium?
Car insurance is relatively cheap for this vehicle, but why not take advantage of these moves to lower your premium even further?
- Limit your annual mileage (where possible). Declare a lower annual mileage and you’ll be determined as a lower risk by your insurer. So, consider whether you can occasionally walk or use public transport, rather than using your car.
- Pay annually rather than monthly. Pay annually in a lump sum and you’ll avoid the possibility of being charged interest on monthly payments.
- Install extra safety precautions. Any installations that make your car safer are likely to lower your premium.
- Shop around for the best deal using price comparison websites. Insurers rarely offer their best deals to existing customers. So, you’re usually better off finding a better deal by switching to a competitor each year.
Facts about the Smart Forfour
- The Smart Forfour was introduced to the world in the 2004.
- The vehicle includes folding seats that can be used as tables. Smart calls this the “lounge system”.
- In an episode of Top Gear, James May and Richard Hammond attempted to stay in the car for 24 hours to test its comfort.
The Smart Forfour is a cheap car, which is cheap to run and insure. Sure, there are better entry-level vehicles out there, but this car does provide good value for money.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
How to renew your car insurance
We explain how car insurance renewal works, and how to keep your annual renewal premiums as low as possible.
Compulsory vs voluntary excess
We explain the different types of car insurance excess, and how adjusting your voluntary excess can affect your premium.
Cat S insurance
Learn how to find insurance for your Cat S write-off, average cost and whether you can keep your category S car.
Finder Insurance Customer Satisfaction Awards 2020
Looking for insurance or thinking of changing providers? Here’s what customers had to say about some of the UK’s top insurers.
How to save by adding kids to parent’s car insurance
Learn more about how parents’ can save their children money on car insurance by putting them as a named driver.
International car insurance
Our guide to international car insurance. Find out how to get covered and what documents you’ll need for your trip.
UK car insurance statistics: Average cost and number of claims
We unpack all the latest UK car insurance statistics, including the average cost and the number of claims made per year.
Car insurance exclusions
Find out what car insurance won’t cover so you can avoid any nasty surprises at claim time.
High-risk car insurance
Find out how to get car insurance as a high-risk driver and what options are available. Steps to reduce your premium as a high-risk driver.
Get agreed value car insurance quotes online
Find out how agreed value car insurance works and if it’s the right option for you.