Find the best way to send money to Russia
Learn how to send money to Russia from the UK in our step-by-step guide.
Looking for the best way to send money from the United Kingdom to family, friends or businesses in Russia (or even to your own overseas bank account)?
Unfortunately, Finder doesn't have any providers that can help you send money to Russia from the United Kingdom. Transferring money to countries like Russia is challenging but potentially services such as Western Union and WorldRemit are worth exploring.
Best ways to send money to Russia from the UKThe best way to send money to Russia depends on your payment method, how you want your money to be received and how fast you need it to arrive.
- Online money transfer provider. When buying pounds or Russian rubles money transfer specialists typically offer better rates and cheaper fees than a local bank.
Cheapest way to send money to Russia
When you're hunting down the cheapest ways to send money to Russia, it's more important to look at the overall cost of your transfer. This has a couple of elements:
- Transfer fees. While still cheaper than your British bank, some money transfer services charge either a fixed or percentage-based fee for making your transfer.
- Exchange rates. Another way money transfer providers make money is to add a margin to the mid-market GBP/RUB exchange rate.
Some providers may charge the mid-market rate but add fees on top. Others may have very low fees but apply a markup on the exchange rate. This means it is important to compare exactly how many Russian rubles your recipient will end up with.
Safest way to send money to Russia
The safest way to get your money to Russia is to use a provider registered with the United Kingdom's industry regulator, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). All of the companies we've compared in our table are overseen by a local regulator and comply with the relevant laws and regulations in both the United Kingdom and Russia.
A great way to dive deeper is by reading our extended reviews of each transfer service and researching first-hand customer feedback on Trustpilot and similar platforms.
Large money transfers to Russia
If you need to make a sizable money transfer to Russia, consider using a provider such as to benefit from its expertise in handling larger transfer amounts.Using a large transfer specialist can have the following advantages:
- Tax guidance. Large transfers to Russia may have tax implications for you or your recipient. A transfer specialist can help get you up to speed on HMRC's latest advice.
- Foreign exchange (forex) tools. Advanced tools such as forward contracts, limit orders and stop-loss orders can help you lock in the RUB exchange rate you want.
- Account manager. Some money transfer providers assign a personal account manager who can help and advise you on your transfer needs.
- Phone service. If you want to talk your transfer through with someone, some providers can give you support over the phone.
How to send money to Russia from the UK
To send money to Russia, you'll need the necessary documentation, your recipient's details and a way to pay.
- Compare your options.
Use our table to find a money transfer provider that sends funds to Russia. One may be better for cash pickups while another may suit a bank transfer. Once you've found the best one for your requirements, click "Go to site".
- Create an account.
You'll need to give your name, address, contact details, proof of ID and method of payment.
- Provide your recipient's details.
Enter your recipient's name and contact information. If you're sending straight to their Russian bank account, you'll need the account number, SWIFT or IBAN plus their bank branch's address.
- Enter your transfer amount.
Check you're happy with the fees, exchange rates and transfer speed, then enter the amount you wish to send. Double-check the total Russian rubles your recipient gets.
- Complete your transfer.
Send your money transfer to Russia. Keep your transaction reference number safe so you can track your transfer. Your recipient may need it too.
Example: Anastasia sends money to Russia
Anastasia is working in the United Kingdom as a film producer and she stays in regular contact with her elderly parents back home in Russia. Her parents need some funds to help pay off a mortgage, so Anastasia plans to send them £2,000 from the United Kingdom.
She decides to compare a bank and a money transfer specialist to see which one can save the most money on her transaction.
|Money transfer company
|1 GBP = 114.55 RUB
|1 GBP = 116.07 RUB
|Bank account deposit
|Bank account deposit
|2 - 5 working days
The money transfer company enables Anastasia to send an extra ₽3,888.22, which is transferred straight to her parents' Sberbank account.
How to choose the best money transfer companies to send money to Russia
Although we currently have any active deals to help you transfer money to Russia from the United Kingdom, below we cover the most features to consider when researching providers.
- Exchange rates. Banks and transfer services use the mid-market rate to trade with one another. It is the best rate you can get. However, not all money transfer providers offer you this mid-market rate so compare the RUB you're offered to the mid-market rate and look for the smallest difference.
- Transfer fees. Are you being charged a flat fee or a percentage of your transfer amount? For example, a provider offering to transfer your money to Russia for a flat or low fee might work out better if you plan to send a large amount.
- Transfer type. Does your recipient have a Russian bank account or is cash or cell phone top-up a better option? Each transfer type will have different fees. For example, instant cash pickups tend to be more expensive than bank transfers.
- Transfer speed. If you need your transfer to arrive quickly, you can pay for an express delivery. Some companies offer instant cash pickups but may charge more. If you're not in a rush, online money transfer services offer the best value and get your money to Russia faster and cheaper than banks.
- Transfer limits. Find out how much you can send with each service.
- Discounts. Some providers may offer you a free transfer simply for signing up. Others may offer a discount if you transfer more than a specific amount of Russian rubles.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Find the best way to send money to Barbados
Want to send GBP to Barbados? We will help you pick the best international money transfer service and explain fees and exchange rates.
Find the best way to send money to Chile
Transferring CHL is easy with our comprehensive guide to the best ways to send money from the UK to Chile.
Find the best way to send money to Bangladesh
Want to send GBP to Bangladesh? We will help you pick the best international money transfer service and explain fees and exchange rates.
Find the best way to send money to Pakistan
Want to send GBP to Pakistan? We will help you pick the best international money transfer service and explain fees and exchange rates.
Find the best way to send money to Germany
Sending money to Germany from the UK? Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
Find the best way to send money to Egypt
Looking for the best way to send money from the UK to Egypt? Services, rates, and fees compared.
Find the best way to send money to Nigeria
Transferring NGA is easy with our comprehensive guide to the best ways to send money from the UK to Nigeria.
Find the best way to send money to Mexico
Looking for the best way to send money from the UK to Mexico? Services, rates, and fees compared.
Find the best way to send money to France
Need to transfer GBP to FRA? Learn how to pick the right service to send your money to France.
Find the best way to send money to China
Transferring CHN is easy with our comprehensive guide to the best ways to send money from the UK to China.