Ria money transfer review
Secure transfers to more than 160 countries, but a £4,999 daily limit means it’s not an option for large transfers.
- Good for sending money to a wide variety of countries and for paying through bank transfer, card or cash at an agent.
- Be wary of high fees if you pay by card. Not so great for sending larger amounts.
Minimum Transfer Amount
|Minimum Transfer Amount||£1|
|Pay By||Credit card, Debit card|
|Receiving Options||Cash pickup location, Bank account, Mobile wallet, Home delivery|
|Customer Service||Phone, Email|
|Available Currencies||AED, ALL, AMD, ARS, AUD, BAM, BBD, BDT, BGN, BHD, BIF, BOB, BYN, CAD, CDF, CHF, CLP, CNY, COP, CRC, DJF, DKK, DOP, DZD, EGP, ERN, ETB, EUR, FJD, GBP, GEL, GHS, GMD, GNF, GTQ, GYD, HNL, HRK, HTG, HUF, IDR, ILS, INR, JMD, JOD, JPY, KES, KGS, KHR, KMF, KZT, LAK, LBP, LKR, LRD, MAD, MDL, MMK, MNT, MRU, MXN, MYR, MZN, NGN, NIO, NOK, NPR, NZD, OMR, PEN, PHP, PKR, PLN, PYG, QAR, RON, RSD, RUB, RWF, SCR, SEK, SLL, SRD, THB, TJS, TND, TOP, TRY, TTD, TZS, UAH, UGX, USD, UYU, UZS, VES, VND, VUV, XAF, XCD, XOF, YER, ZMW|
|Bank Account Required?||No|
|Personal Account Manager?||No|
Zak Killermann is a writer at Finder who’s been specializing in cryptocurrencies and blockchain technology for four years — covering everything from ICO booms, crypto winters, memecoins and more. He’s mined and minted cryptocurrencies, and remembers the days when DOGE was just for fun. Zak’s focus is in breaking down technical concepts (like yellow papers) for the average folk to digest on their morning commute. Before diving into all things crypto, Zak contributed to Finder’s money transfers vertical.
Ria is a convenient option for those looking to send money worldwide as a bank transfer or cash pickup. It limits daily transfers to £4,999, but agent locations in over 160 countries make it one of the largest providers in the industry. Apart from this, Ria doesn’t stand out from the crowd.
Considering Ria doesn’t use the mid-market rate for transfers, expect to see weaker exchange rates than those offered by many international competitors. And although Ria won’t always be your cheapest option, it’s one of few options that supports economically small countries worldwide, such as Tonga and Mauritania.
By default, we are always referring to Ria online transfers unless otherwise noted. When specifically discussing Ria agent locations, we mean the physical, in-person locations found around the world. Keep in mind that Ria money transfer agent locations can set their own limits, transfer destinations and fee schedule, all of which may not align with what you see online.
Why should I consider Ria money transfer?
- Fast transfers. It can take as little as 15 minutes for the money to be ready for cash pickup. This option can get money quickly to a loved one in an emergency, but check the hours of operation for the location you’re sending to work for your recipient.
- Multiple payment options. Pay with a debit card, credit card or bank account for online transfers. Or pay with cash at a Ria agent location. Because different payment methods attract different fees, weigh the benefits of each for the best deal.
- Diverse delivery options. Send money to a bank account, for pick up at an agent location or, in some markets, for home or work delivery.
- Worldwide transfer network. With a network of more than 447,000 agent locations in over 160 countries, Ria is the third-largest provider of international money transfers worldwide.
- Bank-beating rates. Using Ria to transfer money internationally is not only often faster than your bank, but lower fees means more money for your recipient.
What to be aware of with Ria money transfer
- Maximum daily limits. You can send a maximum of £4,999 in one day, and £4,999 in any month – lower than many digital competitors. Ria agent location limits may impose further limitations.
- High fees for card payments. Fees vary depending on your transaction, but credit cards typically attract the highest fees. And agent locations fees may differ from what you see online.
- No hedging options. Unlike some of its competitors, Ria does not offer forward contracts, limit orders or any of the other tools you’ll find to lock in strong rates on future transfers. Hedging tools can help you save money when used appropriately to lock in an exchange rate for future transfers.
- Inconsistent markups. Exchange rates with Ria vary depending on the country you’re sending to – anywhere from 0.25% to 3.5% on top of the mid-market rate.
Ria money transfer exchange rates and fees explained
Ria’s fees vary between online and agent locations. But for online transfers, fees depend on:
- Location. Fees depend on where you’re sending from and where you’re sending to.
- Amount. Different fees are charged based on how much you’re sending.
- Payment. Paying by bank is typically the cheapest option, while paying by credit card tends to come with the highest fees.
- Delivery. To send cash, fees are generally higher, while receiving money to a bank account can be less expensive.
Unlike many competitors, Ria offers the same exchange rate no matter how much you send.
Sending £500 from the UK to Europe
As of 28 February 2021, it will cost you £8 to send £500 to Europe, regardless of whether you transfer for cash pickup or for transfer directly to the recipient’s bank account.
When we checked, Ria’s margin markup for GBP to EUR was 1.5%.
Sending £500 from the UK to Australia
As of 28 February 2021, it will cost you £8 to send £500 to Australia, regardless of whether you transfer for cash pickup or for transfer directly to the recipient’s bank account.
When we checked, Ria’s margin markup for GBP to AUD was 1.7%.
Sending £500 from the UK to India
As of 28 February 2021, the cheapest option to send £500 to India is by paying with a credit or debit card to a bank which costs £1.50 in fees.
When we checked, Ria’s margin markup for GBP to INR was 0.3%.
How long does a Ria money transfer take?
Turnaround depends on how quickly you need your money delivered and how much you want to pay.
Fastest option – as little as 15 minutes
Pay for your transfer with a credit or debit card. When using a credit or debit card, you’ll typically pay more in fees, but your money arrives in as little as 15 minutes. Your credit card might charge you an additional cash advance fee, further increasing the cost of your total transfer.
Cheapest option – up to 4 business days
Using a bank account to pay for your transfer is typically the cheapest way to send money, but it’s nearly always the slowest. For your first transfer through Ria, you may have to verify your account, which can take four or more business days. After verification, your delivery can take an additional four business days.
Where can I send a Ria money transfer?
Ria offices are available in:
- New Zealand
- Puerto Rico
- United Kingdom
- United States
Online transfers are available to residents sending from:
- United Kingdom
- United States
Ria money transfer reviews
Ria is rated an “Excellent” 4.3 out of 5 on Trustpilot, based on 5,754 customer reviews (as of 28 February 2021).
Most online complaints we saw target the customer service and wait times on the phone. Other complaints discussed the fees charged at Ria agent locations that differ from prices quoted online. Ria lists this possibility on its website, but you can easily miss this note while getting a price quote. You can find answers to other questions in Ria’s extensive FAQ section, or contact the company by email, phone or social media.
How does Ria money transfer keep my money safe?
Ria Money Transfer has been in operation since 1987 and is a global company that serves millions of customers. It partners with large brands like Walmart, and it uses many security features to keep your data and money safe:
- Identity verification. Suspicious activity such as logging in from various IP addresses and sending money to many diverse locations may trigger flags to help protect your account.
- 24/7 security experts. A security team works around the clock to monitor transactions for suspicious activity.
- Only storing the necessary data. Ria doesn’t store credit or debit card information on its servers, which means your card information can’t be stolen if Ria is hacked.
How do I send money through Ria?
Six steps to sending money online:
- Specify how much you’d like to send and where you’d like to transfer your funds to.
- Select whether you’ll pay for your transfer by debit card, credit card or bank account.
- Confirm the transaction summary that details the exchange rate and fees that apply to your transfer.
- Enter your recipient’s full name, email address and phone number.
- Select how you’d like your money delivered: bank deposit, cash pickup or courier delivery, if available in your recipient’s country.
- Transfer your funds around the world.
What’s needed to transfer cash online through Ria
To transfer cash online through Ria, you’ll need:
- A Ria account. Create a free account as you’re setting up your transaction for an online transfer.
- Valid payment. Ria accepts payment by bank account, debit card and credit card.
- Valid ID. A government-issued ID may be required while creating your account or sending a transfer at a Ria agent location.
- Recipient’s name and contact information. The name on the transfer must match their government-issued ID.
- Recipient’s bank account information. If you’re transferring money to their bank account, you’ll need both their account and routing numbers.
- Your contact and banking information. That includes the account or card number and security information for the account you’re transferring from.
How to track a Ria money transfer
Go to the Ria tracking page to confirm the progress of your transfer. Here you’ll enter your order number, PIN or reference number. You’ll also enter the sender’s date of birth and the recipient’s country. You can track online and at Ria agent location money transfers this way.
Ria’s tracking number is 12 digits and is called the Order Pin.
Does Ria have a mobile app?
- Send again. Repeat a previous transfer by selecting it from your activity list in the app.
- Log in using biometrics. Both face and fingerprint recognition can be used to log in.
- Share order details. Sending key order information like the tracking PIN number to your recipient can be done with just a few taps.
- Find an agent location. Use the in-app map to find agent locations based on your GPS or around the world.
|Reviews accurate as of 28 February 2021|
|Google Play Store||3.6 out of 5 – based on 4,558 customer reviews|
|Apple App Store||4 out of 5 – based on 1,478 customer reviews|
Ria is a straightforward option to send money all over the world. It offers clear fees, decently low markups on the mid-market rate and secure transfers to its customers. Digital competitors like XE and OFX often offer lower fees and stronger rates, but those specialists may not offer cash pickup at more than 447,000 locations.
Frequently asked questions
What are Ria’s customer service hours?
Does Ria offer refer-a-friend promotions?
Why is my Ria account locked?
Why is Ria reviewing my transfer?
What are my rights when cancelling a transfer?
How long will a refund take if I cancel my transaction?
How does Ria compare to other services?
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.