RBS Select current account review
If you’re on the lookout for a new current account, find out whether the RBS Select account could work for you.
|Account name||Select Account|
|Provider||Royal Bank of Scotland|
|ATM withdrawal limit||£300|
|Card type||Cash / Debit|
|Minimum eligibility age||18 Years|
|Mininum operating balance||£0.01|
|Minimum opening balance||£0.01|
|Current account switch guarantee|
The Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) was established in Edinburgh in 1727. It is a major retail and commercial bank with branches throughout Scotland and a few dotted across cities in England and Wales. It is one of the banking subsidiaries of NatWest Group which includes NatWest and Ulster Bank.
This review looks at the RBS Select current account in detail.
What is the RBS Select current account?
The RBS Select current account is an everyday bank account that does not charge a monthly maintenance fee. An arranged overdraft is available on the account if you need one.
The account can be managed online, via the app, over the phone or in branch and can be opened as a joint or sole account.
How does it work?
The key features of the RBS Select current account are outlined below:
- No monthly fee. There is no monthly maintenance fee to pay for this account.
- Multiple ways to pay. Choose to use Apple Pay or Google Pay or your contactless debit card.
- Arranged overdraft available. Interest is charged at 39.49% EAR.
- Access to the mobile banking app. Giving you personalised insights into your spending and letting you set and track budgets. It also offers account aggregation so you can see all your balances and transactions with other banks in one place, lets you pay in cheques and enables you to view your credit score for free.
- Round Ups feature. When you pay with your debit card or contactless device, the amount will be rounded up to the nearest pound and the difference transferred to your RBS savings account (app is required).
Who is it for?
The RBS Select account could be suitable for anyone looking for a basic, everyday bank account. To be eligible, you must be aged 18 or over and a UK resident.
What are the benefits?
One of the main benefits of the RBS Select account is that there is no fee to pay. You’ll also get access to the RBS mobile banking app that can help you to keep on top of your finances and set and track budgets, as well as keep an eye on your credit score.
How to apply
You can open the RBS Select account completely online. You’ll need to provide:
- A few details about yourself, including your name, address history and job
- ID such as a UK passport, UK or EU/EEA driving licence or an EU/EEA national ID card
- You may need to provide proof of address.
Is it safe?
Yes, RBS is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and the PRA. Eligible deposits will be protected by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS) up to £85,000 per person or up to £170,000 for joint accounts.
Pros and cons of the RBS Select account
- No monthly fee
- Access to app to help you manage your finances
- FSCS protection
- Limited account features
- Interest charged on overdrafts
- No interest paid on balances
The RBS Select current account could be right for you if you’re after a straightforward bank account that does not charge a monthly maintenance fee and can be managed via an app to help you stay on top of your finances.
However, keep in mind that the app can be used with other RBS current accounts, so it’s worth comparing what else is on offer before making your decision. If managing your account via an app is particularly important to you, you might prefer to look at challenger brands such as Starling Bank.