MoneyGram international money transfers review
Send fast money transfers to over 190 countries with MoneyGram.
- Good for sending money almost anywhere in the world instantly and if your recipient doesn’t have a bank account.
- Be wary of high fees and poor exchange rates.
Min. Transfer Amount
Max. Transfer Amount
Within an hour
|Product Name||MoneyGram International Money Transfers|
|Min. Transfer Amount||GBP 1|
|Max. Transfer Amount||GBP 7,600|
|Transfer Methods||Online, Agent, Cash Transfer|
|Transfer Options||One off payments|
Minimum transfer time
|Within an hour|
|Customer Service||Phone, Chat, Email, Branch|
|Available Currencies||AED, AFN, ANG, AOA, AUD, BAM, BDT, BGN, BHD, BIF, BMD, BND, BSD, BTN, BWP, BZD, CAD, CHF, CLP, CNY, COP, CVE, CZK, DJF, DKK, DOP, DZD, ERN, EUR, FJD, GBP, GIP, GMD, GNF, GTQ, GYD, HKD, HNL, HRK, HTG, HUF, IDR, INR, IQD, ISK, JMD, JOD, JPY, KES, KMF, KWD, KYD, LKR, LSL, MAD, MGA, MKD, MNT, MOP, MRO, MUR, MVR, MWK, MXN, MYR, MZN, NAD, NGN, NOK, NPR, NZD, OMR, PGK, PHP, PKR, PLN, QAR, RON, RSD, RWF, SAR, SBD, SCR, SEK, SGD, SLL, STD, SZL, THB, TMT, TND, TOP, TRY, TTD, TZS, UGX, USD, UZS, VEF, VND, VUV, WST, XAF, XCD, XOF, XPF, YER, ZAR, ZMW|
|Online Transfer Fee||3.00%|
|Exchange Rate Updates||Real time|
- Cash transfers
- Convenient locations
- Almost instant
- Low minimum transfer
- Many currencies
- High fees
- Low daily maximum limit
What's in this guide?
- MoneyGram exchange rates and fees
- Available currencies
- What types of transfers can you make with MoneyGram?
- How long does a transfer with MoneyGram take?
- What payment methods does MoneyGram accept?
- Is MoneyGram safe to use?
- How to register for an account
- How do I make an international money transfer with MoneyGram?
- What is MoneyGram?
- In a nutshell
- How does MoneyGram compare to other providers?
- Compare money transfer services
- Frequently asked questions
MoneyGram exchange rates and fees
Calculate how much sending money overseas would cost with MoneyGram by using our tool below. You can also check out the real-time exchange rate that MoneyGram offers and see if there are any additional fees.
MoneyGram aims to deliver money almost anywhere in the world, in almost any currency you need. This means that there are over 95 currencies you can choose to send to.
Popular currencies include:
- USD United States dollar
- EUR Euro
- CAD Canadian dollar
- NZD New Zealand dollar
- CNY Chinese yuan
- JPY Japanese yen
- HKD Hong Kong dollar
- IDR Indian rupee
What types of transfers can you make with MoneyGram?
- Bank transfer. You can send money to a recipient’s bank account. This is often one of the cheapest options.
- Cash pick-up. You can send money for a recipient to pick-up at a MoneyGram agent location. This can be one of the fastest ways, but will be subject to the agent’s business hours.
- Home delivery. In some locations, MoneyGram delivers your money right to your recipient’s door.
- Mobile wallet. MoneyGram can deliver funds to mobile wallets like M-Pesa in select countries.
How long does a transfer with MoneyGram take?
How long a transfer takes depends on what kind of transfer you’re sending. Cash pick-ups and mobile wallet payments will often be available in just a few minutes. Sending money to a bank account will usually take longer, especially if you’re sending money over a weekend.
If you want a fast transfer you can opt for a cash pick-up, but if you’d prefer a cheaper payment a bank transfer is more suitable.
What payment methods does MoneyGram accept?
MoneyGram accepts the following payment methods:
- Cash. You can pay with cash by going to a MoneyGram agent location.
- Bank transfer. You can pay directly from your bank account online.
- Credit and debit card. Card is accepted both online and in person, but it may cost extra. You should also be wary of cash advance fees and interest rates on card payments for money transfers.
Transfers typically take
Within an hour
Is MoneyGram safe to use?
- Security and regulation: MoneyGram is government regulated and holds its customers’ funds separate from the company’s own.
- Established: 1940
- Reviews: Bear in mind that Trustpilot gives MoneyGram a score of 1.5* out of 5, based on over 65 reviews.
Although MoneyGram describes itself as “safe and secure”, you should never send money to someone you don’t know. You can read more about common money transfer scams in our guide.
How does MoneyGram make money?
MoneyGram makes money by charging fees for its money transfer services, as well as by taking a margin on international exchange rates.
This margin is the difference between the mid-market exchange rate and the rate that MoneyGram gives its customers.
The mid-market rate is the official exchange rate at any given time, showing how much two currencies are worth relative to each other. MoneyGram and most other money transfer services will give customers slightly less than a currency is worth and take the remainder for themselves. This is the margin.
How to register for an account
You don’t need to register an account with MoneyGram to send money in person at an agency, but you will if you want to send money online.
To create an account:
How do I make an international money transfer with MoneyGram?
What is MoneyGram?
MoneyGram is the world’s second-largest money transfer service, as well as one of the oldest. In its earliest incarnation, MoneyGram was founded in 1940 as Travelers Express. It wasn’t known as MoneyGram until 1988.
Between those years, it was acquired by The Greyhound Corporation, and at different times it went through mergers and was spun-off as a separate company.
It took a hard hit in the financial crisis between 2007 and 2009, experiencing a 96% drop in share price and downsizing around the world, but has grown again since then.
In a nutshell
- Instant transfers available. MoneyGram can let you send money to most places in the world in just a few minutes.
- Able to pay with cash or card. You can pay by cash or card in person at a branch and you won’t need to sign up for an account or wait for verification like you would with other online services.
- Variety of delivery options. You can send money to your recipient’s bank account, mobile wallet or door, or to a cash pick-up location.
- Currency and country range. MoneyGram agents can be found all over the world – it has one of the widest reaches.
- Low maximums. MoneyGram generally isn’t suitable for larger transfers.
- Expensive. MoneyGram will generally have higher fees and poorer rates than other money transfer services.
How does MoneyGram compare to other providers?
Browse the table below to see how MoneyGram compares to other providers. You can use the built-in calculator to see how much your transfer might cost.