MG3 insurance group
Find out the average cost of insurance for the MG3 based on your age and location.
The MG3 is a small hatchback sports car. It’s a stylish choice, plus it has a decent amount of standard equipment for a vehicle that is so cheap to purchase and insure. In this guide, you’ll find out how much it could cost to insure based on your age and location.
What insurance group does the MG3 fall under?
All vehicles are assigned a specific insurance group based on how expensive they should be to insure. These groups range from 1 (cheapest to insure) to 50 (most expensive). MG3 models can be found in insurance groups 4 to 8, meaning the car insurance will be on the cheap side.
However, the costs may vary slightly depending on your choice of MG3 model and what group it falls under. As an example, a 30-year-old driver in an average postcode could pay around £631 for cover on an MG3 1.5 VTi-TECH 3Time 5d that is in insurance group 8 or around £700 for an MG3 Exclusive VTI-TECH 5d that is in insurance group 8.
MG3 insurance cost by location
The table above shows the average cost of MG3 insurance based on insurance groups and driver age. However, there are many other factors that affect the cost of your car insurance premiums. One of the most significant of these factors is your home address.
To show the power of the postcode, here are some average quotes for a 30-year-old living in three different locations. The quotes are for an MG3 1.5 VTi-TECH 3Form 5d.
- Expensive: £750 (London SE1)
- Average: £631 (Newcastle NE1)
- Cheap: £439 (Galashiels TD1)
Which factors affect my MG3 insurance rate?
Along with insurance group, there are a number of key factors that have the biggest impact on your insurance premium costs:
- Engine type and capacity. In general, cars with bigger engines cost more money to insure. However, in this example, all MG3 models have a 1.5-litre engine.
- Driver location. Insurers will use your home address to determine the risk of your car being stolen or involved in an accident, based on previous claims data. For example, a 30-year-old in central London may pay £750 for insurance for an MG3 3Style+ 1.5 DOHC VTI-TECH 5d, while the same 30-year-old in Newcastle may only pay £631. This price difference occurs because motorists in London are more likely to claim on their car insurance policy.
- Driver age. The youngest drivers are the most likely to claim on their car insurance, and that’s why they pay far more for their car insurance. As an example, the average 20-year-old driver in London may pay £1,432 for the MG3 Explore VTI-TECH 5d, while the average 40-year-old Londoner will only pay £750. That’s a £682 difference based purely on the age of the driver.
Other factors that influence the cost of your insurance include:
- Your car’s safety rating score
- The model of your car
- The age of your car
- Your car’s security and any extra anti-theft precautions
- Your annual mileage
- Your driving history and activity
- Your no-claims discount
- Your marital status
- Your credit history and job
How can I save on my MG3 premiums?
When searching for car insurance, it’s worth taking the time to find the best deal for a price that’s within your budget. Thankfully, there are plenty of actions you can take to lower the cost of your premium.
- Limit your annual mileage (where possible). If you can occasionally walk or use public transport, rather than using your car, it can help to save on your premiums.
- Pay annually rather than monthly. Whilst it might be intimidating to part with a large sum of money in one go, paying annually can prevent you from having to pay interest on monthly instalments.
- Install extra safety precautions. By adding extra safety measures, you lower your chances of making a claim, and that’s why insurers are quite likely to offer you a discount when you do.
- Don’t blindly accept your renewal quote. Make sure you shop around for the best deal using price comparison websites. There are likely to be cheaper options out there from competitor companies.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Peugeot 108 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Peugeot 108 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Lexus IS200 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Lexus IS200 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Lexus CT200 insurance group
Find out how much it could cost to insure the Lexus CT200 based on your age and location.
MG ZR insurance group
Find out which insurance group the MG ZR falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Daewoo Matiz insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Daewoo Matiz falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Peugeot 3008 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Peugeot 3008 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Land Rover Freelander insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Land Rover Freelander falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Renault Twingo insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Renault Twingo falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Volvo S40 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Volvo S40 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Kia Sorento insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Kia Sorento falls under and how much it costs to insure.