Compare quotes from these providers before you send money to the United States.
Compare Money Transfer Services
Save money on your personal or business international money transfer today. Fill in the form and you’ll be contacted by a foreign exchange expert to have an obligation-free discussion about your options.
With over 17 years of foreign exchange expertise and over $100 billion transferred, OFX can help with all your currency exchange needs, including:
- Buying property abroad
- Regular overseas payments
- Risk management
- If the provider quotes a different rate to the one above please let us know
Bank versus money transfer company
It’s possible to send money directly from your bank account, but as always, it pays to shop around. Companies like TorFX, MoneyGram and Western Union can offer a better deal than the banks. There are some exceptions. For example, HSBC offer free international transfers between HSBC accounts in the UK and the USA.
|Exchange rate||1 GBP = 1.368130 USD||1 GBP = 1.4253|
|Amount received for £1,000 (in USD)||$1,368.10 USD||$1,425.30 USD|
|Transfer time||4 – 6 business days||10 minutes|
|Transfer options||Bank account deposit||Cash collection|
|Difference of||+ $57.2USD|
*This information is provided when you request the transfer from the online banking facility.
How do I compare transfer companies when transferring money to the United States?
Look at the net transfer amount when you compare quotes to send money to the United States. Most providers let you get a obligation free quote so you can shop around to find yourself the best deal. Also consider how you can pay and whether you can contact the provider if you have questions about sending money overseas.
- Exchange rates. What rate does the international money transfer provider offer when exchanging Pounds Sterling to United States Dollars.
- Fees. What upfront fees must you pay to send money to the United States. Some companies offer fee-free transfers only to include a higher exchange rate margin.
- Transfer methods. How can you pay for your money transfer. Some providers let you pay cash in person while others only accept card payments.
- Pickup options. How can the recipient collect the funds once the transfer has been paid for and processed.
- Transfer time. This largely depends on how you pay for the money transfer to the U.S, different transfer methods have different processing times.
- Minimum transfers. What’s the minimum amount you can send to North America. International money transfer fees can make one company more cost effective than another when you send a small amount of money.
- Bank partners. Providers like Citibank and HSBC offer free international transfers between accounts in the UK and the United States. Lloyds Bank also offer free international transfers to some customers.
- Service and support. What is the company’s refund policy and does the provider have a UK based customer support team.
How do I send money to the United States from the UK?
You can easily send money to the United States from your UK bank account or you can use the services of a specialist international money transfer provider. Dedicated foreign exchange providers are made up of popular brands such as Western Union and MoneyGram.
- Bank transfers. Send money directly from your bank account using your financial institution’s online banking platform or initiate a transfer within a branch. International financial institutions such as HSBC and Citibank can offer free transfers between international accounts.
- Foreign exchange providers.
- Western Union,
- WorldFirst, and
These companies can offer cash collection at hundreds of thousands of agents across the globe as well as direct deposits to a bank account. Pounds Sterling and United States Dollars are a major currency pair and transfers between these two currencies are offered by almost all foreign exchange providers.
How do I receive money from the United States in the UK?
Different international money transfer service offer different funds collection options.
- Bank transfers. The funds must be sent to a bank account in the United Kingdom. You’ll need your bank account number, sort code, IBAN and BIC.
- Foreign exchange providers. Western Union, Travelex and MoneyGram have a large number of international agents, funds can be collected at cash from thousands of agents in the UK. PayPal transfers require both the sender and receiver to have an active PayPal account.
Emergency cash transfers to the U.K
Some international transfer companies can make funds available to collect in just minutes. You have these options for sending emergency cash to the United States.
- Cash pickup using a international money transfer service. Pay using cash at some international money transfer companies and the funds can be made available to collect in the United States in just minutes.
- Emergency cash. Card scheme providers such as Visa, MasterCard and American Express can issue emergency cash. Request cash over the phone and it can be available to collect in under an hour.
- Travel insurance. Some international travel insurance policies include an emergency cash benefit for some events.
Cash pickup locations in the United States / Western Union / MoneyGram branches in the United States
Western Union and MoneyGram have hundreds and thousands of places to collect cash. You can see below the type of business that act as a Western Union or MoneyGram agent. Although transfers using Western Union and MoneyGram are anonymous, they are also secure. The recipient must show identification to collect cash and the agent may also ask for the reference number too.
- Travelex Currency
30 Vesey St New York, NY 10007-2914
Open Monday to Sunday 7.00AM to 9.00PM.
- Manhattan Chinatown Pharmacy
156 Canal St, New York, NY 10013
Open Monday to Sunday 9.00AM to 7.30PM.
- Continental Currency
400 S Broadway, Los Angeles, CA 90013
Open Monday to Friday 8.00AM to 8.00PM / Saturday 8.00AM to 7.00PM / Sunday 9.00AM to 5.00PM
- Sam’s Corner Liquor
2001 W 6th Street, Los Angeles, CA 90057
Open Monday to Sunday 6.00AM to 8.00PM.
125 S Clark ST A-3 Chicago, IL 60603
Open Monday to Sunday 12.00AM to 11.59PM
570 W Monroe Street, Chicago, IL 60661-3618
Open Monday to Sunday 12.00AM to 11.59PM.
- G & H Liquors and & Grocery
201 Jones Street, San francisco, CA 94102-2608
Monday to Sunday 7.00AM to 11.00PM.
- SF Union Post
5432 Geary Blvd. San Francisco, CA 94121
Open Monday to Sunday 7.00AM to 10.00PM
Tips for picking up cash in the United States
Common money-sense is required any time you handle large amounts of money. Gov.uk states to take sensible precautions to protect against petty crime in the United States. Exercise the same amount of caution as at home.
What are the steps to send money to the United States?
The process to send money to the U.S may vary depending on the company or service you choose to use. Most providers require you to create an account, which means you’ll need access to your email.
The following information is also required.
- Sender information. Name, date of birth, address and email. Card details are also required if you’re paying with a Visa or a MasterCard.
- Receiver information. Name and country.
- Reference code. An extra security measure, this is a special short message or unique code generated at the time of transfer. The recipient quotes this information when they’re collecting the cash.
After accepting a quote and paying for a transfer, a reference code is usually issued by the provider so you can track the status of your international money transfer.