The Debenhams credit card is issued on the Mastercard network so it's accepted at nearly 53 million merchants across more than 210 countries and territories.
M&S Bank Shopping Plus Credit Card
- 0% on balance transfers for 20 months
- 0% on purchases for 20 months
- No annual fee
Representative example: When you spend £1,200 at a purchase rate of 21.9% (variable) p.a., your representative rate is 21.9% APR (variable).
Pros and cons
- A year of 0% interest on balances transferred to focus on reducing your card debt
- Earn points on day-to-day spending
- Up to 500 points introductory bonus
- No annual fee
Other reward cards
Table: sorted by representative APR, promoted deals first
Approval for any credit card will depend on your status. The APR shown represents the interest rate offered to most successful applicants. Depending on your personal circumstances the APR you're offered may be higher, or you may not be offered credit at all. Fees and rates are subject to change without notice. It's always wise to check the terms of any deal before you borrow.
Looking for perks?
You’ll earn points each time you use the Debenhams credit card, but at a better rate when you use it in Debenhams. Every three months the points are converted into vouchers and sent to you along with your statement. Debenhams also regularly run introductory offers such as “welcome points”. The card also comes with an array of additional benefits.
Learn more about rewards cards
- 0% on balance transfers.
If you have an outstanding balance on another credit card, that needn’t stop you from switching to a new card issuer. With a 0% balance transfer facility, you can bring outstanding debt across to the new card and enjoy an interest rate of 0% on it for a promotional period. Remember however that there is normally a transfer fee to pay for this service, which is usually a percentage of the balance.
Learn more about 0% balance transfer cards
- 0% on selected purchases.
If you’re planning a significant expenditure and want to spread the cost, a card with 0% interest on purchases can allow you to do so without paying interest. You’ll want to make sure that your particular purchase is allowed under the terms, and make a note of when you’ll start paying interest on purchases.
Learn more about 0% purchase cards
You’re in luck! But remember perks are there to lure you in, and you’re going to want to carefully assess whether the perks will leave you better off than if you opted for competitor card. Try to work out roughly how much money you’d actually earn through the perks and reward points, and take this figure into account when you compare cards. Once you’ve taken out a reward card, try not to obsess on your running points total and end up making purchases you don’t need.
- Free delivery on your Debenhams purchases. If you make a purchase on Debenhams’ website, you’ll get standard free delivery.
- Additional cards. You can nominate up to three additional cardholders, provided they are aged over 18, are your spouse, partner or other close relative, a UK resident, and live at the same address as you.
- Online account management. You can register to use Debenhams’ online account management facility. Through this, you can make payments, check the available balance on your card, update your details and carry out a range of other tasks involved in servicing your account.
With no annual fee and a fairly generous rewards points programme, the Debenhams Mastercard offers a decent rewards-based deal, especially those who do a lot of their shopping at Debenhams. And the perks don’t stop there. You’ll also get free delivery on Debenhams purchases as well as 0% interest on balance transfer for the first 12 months (albeit with a balance transfer fee).
The Debenhams Credit Card offers a balanced range of features and incentives especially aimed shoppers. Obviously if you’re already a big fan of the brand, you’ll stand to benefit more than most.
You can make manual repayments through NewDay Ltd's app, by logging in to your online banking or over the phone (0300 220 2519). Alternatively, you may wish to set up a direct debit.
A direct debit protects you from forgetting to make a repayment and either damaging your credit score, getting hit with a penalty fee (£12) or losing any promotional rates as a result.
You can arrange a direct debit for repayments when you apply for the credit card. The table below shows the options available.
Choose from the following direct debit options for your monthly repayments:
How to apply
Sorry – NewDay Ltd is no longer accepting applications for this card. However you may wish to consider one of the alternatives listed above.
To qualify for a Debenhams credit card, you must:
- Be 18 years or over
- Be a permanent UK resident and have lived in the UK for the last 12 months (unless you’re HM Forces Personnel)
- Have a current UK bank account and a mobile phone number
- Not already have a Debenhams Card
- Have a regular income
- You must ensure that you can meet the repayments as missed payments incur a charge and could have severe consequences on your ability to obtain future credit
Why might your application not be approved?
If you meet the broad criteria outlined above, but have a history of bad debt or no credit history, you could be rejected. Also, if you have been made the subject of a CCJ you may not be accepted, and are unlikely to be given a card if you have ever declared bankruptcy.
Browse UK retail rewards cards