Compare Bank of Scotland credit cards for January 2020
Scotland’s oldest bank, Bank of Scotland, offers a range of credit cards incorporating 0% deals on balance transfers, purchases or both.
Bank of Scotland has been helping generations of Scots look after their money since 1695. Today it has almost 300 branches across the country, serving over 2.8 million customers. Its credit cards are part of the Mastercard network, so they are accepted in more than 35 million locations worldwide.
Bank of Scotland’s range
Types of credit cards offered by Bank of Scotland
Bank of Scotland offers a range of credit cards to suit different needs.
Balance transfer card
Make the most of a zero rate of interest for an initial promotional period by transferring existing debts from cards with higher interest rates. Bank of Scotland offers a range of balance transfer cards to suit your circumstances. Take advantage of a card which also offers an interest-free promotional period for purchases, or opt for one that charges a low or no fee for balance transfers.
Bank of Scotland’s purchase cards offer low or zero interest for a specified period on purchases made using the card. If you’re planning a significant expenditure on a new card, then comparing 0% purchase cards would be a smart place to start.
Low rate card
With the lowest ongoing interest rate of all the Bank of Scotland cards, the low rate credit card could suit you if you pay off the minimum or part of your balance each month. This card comes with no promotional period for zero interest on balance transfers or purchases.
What benefits can I get with a Bank of Scotland credit card?
- Soft searching. Use the online eligibility tool to find out if you will be accepted for a Bank of Scotland credit card without affecting your credit score.
- Quick decision. Find out if your application is successful within five minutes.
- Global usage. The Bank of Scotland credit cards are part of the Mastercard networks, so they are accepted at more than 35 million locations worldwide.
- Contactless payments. All the Bank of Scotland credit cards are enabled for contactless payments up to £30.
- Enhanced security. Have peace of mind when shopping online with Mastercard SecureCode.
- Online account management. See your balance and make a payment at any time, and from anywhere.
Applying for a Bank of Scotland Bank credit card
You can use Bank of Scotland’s card selector tool on the website to help you find the right card for you. It lets you:
Once you’re ready to apply, you’ll need to fill out the simple online application form. To do so you will need your:
If approved, you’ll be formally offered the card. However it’s important to look closely at the offer, since some applicants will be offered a different rate to the advertised APR. Provided you’re happy to accept the offer, your new card will arrive within seven working days and your PIN will arrive within five working days.
To be eligible for a Bank of Scotland credit card, you must:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Be resident in the UK.
- Have a regular income.
- Not currently be declared bankrupt, have any County Court Judgements or be subject to an Individual Voluntary Agreement.
- Not have already applied for a card with Bank of Scotland and been declined in the previous 30 days.
Why might you not be approved?
If you meet the eligibility requirements but have a history of bad debt or no credit history at all, you may be rejected. If you are in an IVA, have had a CCJ or are currently bankrupt, you will not be accepted for a card.
Frequently asked questions
Ask an Expert