REI Co-op World Elite Mastercard® review
Earn 5% back on your purchases for the great outdoors.
- Get this card if you frequently shop at REI and want to earn additional rewards to put towards your next big outdoor purchase.
- Pick something else if don’t frequently shop at REI or you don’t want to wait a year for your earned rewards
- Apply with a good credit score of 670 or higher.
Up to 5%
13.99% to 23.99%
Purchase APR (variable)
Recommended credit score
|Welcome Offer||$100 REI gift card after you make a purchase within 60 days of account opening|
|Rewards||5% back on purchases at REI, 2% back on mobile wallet purchases and 1% back everywhere else|
|Purchase APR||13.99% to 23.99% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||13.99% to 23.99% variable|
|Recommended minimum credit score||670|
Steven Dashiell is a writer at Finder specializing in all things credit cards. With more than 300 articles under his belt, he aims to help readers embrace credit cards and maximize their rewards. Steve is studying to become a Certified Educator in Personal Finance, and is a frequent face on Finder’s YouTube channel, offering the latest in credit card hacks and advice. His expertise has been featured on numerous outlets, including U.S. News & World Report, Time, CBS, Fox Business, Lifehacker, Martha Stewart Living and more.
The REI Co-op World Elite Mastercard® is a store credit card you can use to earn accelerated rewards on REI purchases. It requires no annual fee and earns 5% back on purchases at REI, 2% back on mobile wallet purchases and 1% back on all other purchases. You can also earn $100 REI gift card after you make a purchase within 60 days of account opening. The card carries an APR of 13.99% to 23.99% variable.
At 5% back, this card packs a punch if you’re a frequent REI shopper and the 2% back on mobile purchases is a rarely seen but fairly potent reward category, particularly considering store credit cards frequently lack ways to earn rewards outside of their associated stores. As a World Elite Mastercard, you’ll also enjoy an array of perks associated with the program, including various store credits, price protection, concierge service and LoungeKey airport lounge membership.
A quibble unique to the REI Co-op World Elite Mastercard® is your earned rewards are distributed with your Co-op Membership dividend at the beginning of each year. This dividend is provided to co-op members each March and is usually 10% back on eligible REI purchases made the prior year. Earnings made with your REI credit card will be added to this 10% back, so you won’t be seeing your rewards for quite some time.
Considering the card doesn’t require an annual fee though, it has plenty to offer for REI members and is well worth adding to your wallet if you’re looking to boost your rewards on your outdoor adventure expenditures.
How to apply for the REI Co-op World Elite Mastercard®
- Only REI Co-op members can apply for the REI Co-op World Elite Mastercard®, and you’ll need your Member Number to apply. You can apply for the REI Co-op World Elite Mastercard® by doing the following.
- Go to the REI Co-op World Elite Mastercard® site at www.reimastercard.com.
Click on Apply now.
- Fill out the requested information, click on the Terms and Conditions box, and click Submit.
REI Co-op World Elite Mastercard® benefits
- Earn rewards. You’ll earn 5% back on REI purchases, 2% back on mobile wallet purchases and 1% back on everything else. You’ll receive these rewards with your Rei membership dividend each March.
- Signup bonus. You’ll earn $100 REI gift card after you make a purchase within 60 days of account opening.
- No annual fee. You won’t pay an annual fee to use this credit card.
- Mastercard World Elite benefits. You’ll receive a host of perks through Mastercard World Elite, including store credits, price protection and extended warranty, trip cancellation insurance and more.
- Additional savings on REI Adventure Travel. Cardholders that book REI adventure travel using their REI and some of their dividend will have the cost of their trip reduced by 50% of the dividend amount used.
- No foreign transaction fees. You won’t pay a foreign transaction fee when making purchases with this card while abroad.
REI Co-op World Elite Mastercard® drawbacks
- No intro period. This card lacks a 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers.
- Potentially high ongoing APR. Depending on your credit score, your APR can reach as high as 23.99% variable, which is much higher than the industry average of 16%.
- Rewards paid out annually. You can’t take advantage of your earned rewards until you receive your REI members dividend each March.
Compare store credit cards
If you’re curious what other store cards on the market look like, you can select and compare up to four store credit cards using our comparison table.
REI Co-op World Elite Mastercard® customer reviews and complaints
Customer reviews of the REI credit card on reddit note that the card is solid for regular REI customers, but generally outclassed by other rewards cards in other categories.
US Bank, the provider behind the REI Co-op World Elite Mastercard®, is accredited with the Better Business Bureau and possesses an A+ rating from the organization as of June 2021. Customer reviews of the bank on Trustpilot have earned the bank a 1.3 out of 5, with several customers complaining of unclear terms and poor customer service.
Like many of the quality store cards on the market, the REI Co-op World Elite Mastercard® can prove useful for frequent shoppers of the brand who plan to turn their rewards into further REI purchases. If this doesn’t sound like you, you’ll be better served by one of the several excellent rewards cards on the market.