Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own. Advertiser Disclosure
US Bank wire transfers review
Take advantage of secure, convenient and easy transfers to just about anywhere in the world.
U.S. Bank offers secure, no-fuss international wire transfers for sending money all over the world. Or transfer online through Western Union for bank deposit or cash pickup.
What types of transfers can you carry out with US Bank?
You can choose from three transfer types with US Bank:
- Wire transfers. Make direct wire transfers online using the US Bank app or website.
- Bank-to-bank. Western Union can also be used to make bank transfers online.
- Cash. Transfers can be picked up in cash at US Bank and Western Union locations.
Transfers can be sent online, from your mobile device, or at your nearest US bank branch. You can deposit funds directly into your recipient’s bank account or make them available for pickup at Western Union’s global network of more than 500,000 agent locations.
US Bank also offers secure and convenient international wire transfers, which can be a very handy tool for businesses that need to make and receive international payments.
How much does it cost to transfer money with US Bank?
The fees that apply to wire transfers with US Bank can vary greatly depending on how much you are sending and the speed of the transfer service you select.
The fee structure for international wire transfers through US Bank is fairly straightforward, but likely more costly than non-wire options:
- Personal incoming. $25
- Personal outgoing. $50
- Business incoming. $15
- Business outgoing. $70
With this in mind, the best thing to do is to review any fees that will apply to your transaction before you actually commit to sending your funds. This is simple to do and is an included step in the transfer process.
How are US Bank’s exchange rates?
Western Union sets the exchange rates when you send money online from your US Bank account using Western Union. This electronic payments provider updates its exchange rates regularly to keep pace with fluctuating market rates, so it’s a good idea to compare the rates offered by Western Union with those offered by banks and other money transfer providers.
If you’re sending a wire transfer, US Bank aims to offer the best rates possible to its customers in line with changes in market conditions. Exchange rates are updated daily and are an important consideration whenever you send funds overseas.
See how other services compare to US Bank
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Available currencies and countries
More than 140 currencies are available thanks to the partnership US Bank has with Western Union. Here’s a sampling of what you can send:
- AUD – Australian dollars
- CAD – Canadian dollars
- CHF – Swiss francs
- EUR – Euros
- GBP – Great British pounds
- JPY – Japanese yen
- THB – Thai baht
- USD – US dollars
However, there are certain locations where you will not be able to send funds, such as Iran, Iraq, Cuba and North Korea.
Pros and cons of using US Bank
- Send money anywhere. Thanks to US Bank’s partnership with Western Union the funds you send can be collected from more than 500,000 Western Union agent locations all over the world.
- Fast processing. Your funds are typically available to your recipient on either the same or the next day.
- Easy. Transfers are easy to set up and can even be sent from your mobile device for added convenience.
- Fees apply. You’ll need to be prepared to pay a transfer fee when sending money overseas with US Bank. These can be reviewed before finalizing your transfer.
- Must have US Bank account. Signing up for an account with US Bank to make an international transfer may be a bit much for some customers. This is doubly so for those interested in benefiting from the Western Union partnership, as accounts must be open for a year to use it.
How do I send money through US Bank?
You’ll first need a checking or savings account with US Bank to start a transfer. In order to use the Western Union online service, you’ll need to have been a customer for at least one year.
Funds can be sent directly from your US Bank account in the following ways:
- From your computer by logging into US Bank Online Banking, going to ‘Transfers & Payments’, and then selecting ‘Send Money to a Person’. Western Union will be listed as one of your options.
- From your mobile device by logging into Mobile Banking, going to ‘Pay & Transfer’ and selecting ‘Send or Receive Money’. You can then select Western Union as your option.
- You can also visit any US Bank branch if you wish to send cash.
The money you send can either be deposited straight into your recipient’s bank account or picked up from any of Western Union’s 500,000+ agent locations around the world.
International wire transfers offer a convenient option for businesses that need to send funds overseas. There are several options available when it comes to lodging business wire transfers, so contact US Bank for more details.
Does Zelle work with US Bank?
Yes. You can transfer money domestically through Zelle, a peer-to-peer payment platform, by using US Bank’s mobile app or website. To transfer money to other Zelle accounts online or using the mobile app:
- Click on Send Money.
- Select Send Money with Zelle.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to choose who you want to send it to and how much you’d like to send.
- Look for a confirmation notification after your transfer goes through.
Are there any transfer limits?
Western Union money transfers through US Bank allow you to send up to $500 per transaction or per day, with a monthly limit of $1,000. With more than 500,000 agent locations around the world, Western Union’s global network means you can send your money almost anywhere. In fact, it has locations in more than 200 countries and territories worldwide.
Looking to send more? Compare these services to US Bank for sending money overseas.
What is US Bank?
Established in 1863, US Bank is a leading financial institution in the United States and around the world. With 18.5 million customers and more than 60,000 employees it offers a diverse range of products and services to look after the financial needs of personal and business customers.
Headquartered in Minneapolis, Minnesota, US Bank specializes in four core lines of business:
- Consumer and small business banking.
- Wholesale banking and commercial real estate.
- Wealth management and securities services.
- Payment services.
US Bank reviews and complaints
U.S. Bank has a TrustPilot score of 1.5 out of 5 as of October 13, 2020. The score sets US Bank at the rank of “bad.”
Since US Bank partners with Western Union for money transfer services, it would be remiss to exclude its ratings. 88% of the reviews for Western Union are “excellent” or “great” on TrustPilot, and it holds a score of 8.7 out of 10.
If you ever need help with a transfer US Bank offers a handy online customer help center with answers to a range of frequently asked questions and also provides phone assistance if you need further help. You can also contact Western Union directly if you have a question regarding a particular transaction.
To get in touch with US Bank customer service call 800-872-2657 or your local branch.
US Bank SWIFT/BIC information
|Bank name||SWIFT/BIC||Bank address||Recipient’s name||Recipient’s account number|
|US Bank||USBKUS44IMT||800 Nicollet Mall BC-MN-H20I 55402||Beneficiary’s name as it appears on the bank statement||Complete bank account number|
If you’re an existing account holder and looking for a fast and easy way to send money to friends and family overseas, consider the international money transfer options available from US Bank. But compare its fees and rates against a range of products on the market before deciding which is the best match for your financial needs.
Frequently asked questions
Ask an Expert