Send money quickly and securely to all four corners of the globe with MoneyGram international money transfers
If you ever need to send money overseas, MoneyGram is the second-largest provider of international money transfers in the world. With a huge global network of more than 350,000 agent locations, MoneyGram international money transfers makes it possible to transfer funds to more than 200 countries and territories around the world.
Save money on your personal or business international money transfer today. Fill in the form and you’ll be contacted by a foreign exchange expert to have an obligation-free discussion about your options.
With over 17 years of foreign exchange expertise and over $100 billion transferred, OFX can help with all your currency exchange needs, including:
- Buying property abroad
- Regular overseas payments
- Risk management
What is MoneyGram?
MoneyGram’s history can be traced back to 1940 when the Minneapolis of Travelers Express Co. Inc. was founded. This was a company that specialized in money orders and electronic payments. In 1998, Travelers Express’s parent company, Viad Corp, purchased Denver-based MoneyGram Payment Systems, Inc. to form MoneyGram.
Now an individual, publicly traded entity, MoneyGram is the world’s second-largest money transfer company, boasting $1.45 billion in annual revenue. With an excess of 350,000 agent locations in more than 200 countries and territories around the world, MoneyGram is pursuing an aggressive expansion program to ensure continued growth and success.
As well as transfers placed through its worldwide agents, MoneyGram also offers a range of online, mobile, account deposit and ATM transfer options.
MoneyGram vs. TransferWise
Compare MoneyGram to other global brands
You can calculate exactly how much it will cost to send a MoneyGram international wire transfer with their simple online Cost Estimator tool (valid for agent location fees only, not for send
How can you send money overseas with MoneyGram?
MoneyGram offers a range of options for you to send money overseas, including:
- Sending money from an agent location. Simply find your closest MoneyGram agent and present your recipient’s information (as it appears on their ID) along with your own valid government-issued ID and the money you want to send. You will need to fill out a simple money transfer form and contact your recipient prior to sending the funds. You must pay cash at an agent location. Once you pay the agent the full amount you are sending along with the fees, your money will be on its way!
- Sending money online. Visit the MoneyGram website and provide basic details about your recipient, your recipient’s location and how much you wish to transfer. You can then pay for the transaction with a credit card, debit card or directly from your bank account. You will need to provide some basic details to verify your identity before making the transfer. There is no need to sign up for an account to send funds.
- More options. MoneyGram is offering new ways of sending money to your friends and loved ones. You are now able to send money directly to someone’s bank account (in select countries only), to a mobile wallet and to an inmate (within the US only). For all of these options, you can send the money easily at an agent location with cash, or send it online with a credit or debit card.
Pros and cons of using MoneyGram
- Global network. As the second largest money transfer provider in the world, MoneyGram has more than 350,000 agent locations around the globe.
- Transfer options. Choose from a range of sending, receiving and financing options to suit your needs.
- Secure and reliable. MoneyGram is a trusted name in the international money transfer business and offers fast and secure transactions.
- Fast. With same day service available at many locations (subject to local holidays and other circumstances), your money can arrive at its destination in as little as 10 minutes. Note that cash is available to recipients sooner than if you send it to their bank account, which can take a day.
- Maximum online transfer amount. The maximum amount you can transfer online is $2,999, which could be a drawback if you need to wire more money.
- Fees. As with most services, MoneyGram international money transfers do incur a fee. Fees can be higher when you use a credit or debit card to pay. For example, if you wish to send $2,999 from a US agent location to a friend in Australia picking up the money at an agent location, your transfer fee will be $92
- Currency exchange. When sending MoneyGram international money transfers from the US, you typically must send the money in US dollars and do not have the option of sending it in a foreign currency. Depending on the recipient’s country, they can pick it up in US dollars or local currency. Local exchange rates may vary.
What other products does MoneyGram offer?
MoneyGram international money transfers aren’t the only service MoneyGram can help you with. MoneyGram’s extensive network and constantly updated offerings make it a great choice for many other financial transactions.
- Money orders. MoneyGram money orders allow you to pay bills or send money and are available from thousands of agent locations.
- Top-up mobile phones. This service allows you to send mobile phone top-ups to more than 350 mobile carriers in over 100 countries.
- Prepaid cards. MoneyGram lets you load cash onto more than 100 well-known prepaid cards for a small fee.
- MoneyGram Plus. MoneyGram now offers a mobile app so you can check the status and receive notifications of all your MoneyGram transactions. You can even send money via your MoneyGram Plus account.
- Send directly to someone’s bank account or mobile wallet. You are now able to send money directly to someone’s bank account (in select countries only) or to their mobile wallet
- Send money to an inmate. You can now send money to an inmate located in the US.
- Pay bills. You are now able to pay bills online or in person through MoneyGram. You can even make child support and healthcare payments with MoneyGram. To pay a bill, you just need to provide the biller name, account number and a credit or debit card if paying online, or cash if paying in person. To make a child support payment, you must provide the State Agency name or MoneyGram code, the Case ID number and cause, Docket number or Participant ID. To make a healthcare payment, you need to provide your account number, and the company name or MoneyGram receive code.
MoneyGram’s wealth of transfer options and its huge global network make it an effective solution for international money transfers. Just make sure to compare its services and fees with other providers before you commit to a transaction, as this is the best way to ensure you get value for money.
Money transfer locations near me
Frequently asked questions about MoneyGram international money transfers
Do I need to create an account to transfer funds online with MoneyGram?
No. MoneyGram allows you to use its online transfer service as a guest if you do not wish to sign up for an account.
What’s the maximum amount I can send online?
The maximum amount MoneyGram allows you to transfer online to most countries is USD$2,999. You can send more in person, but remember you must pay the full amount plus fees in cash if you send money at an agent location.
How long does it take for the funds to arrive if I’m sending to a bank account?
This varies depending on where you are sending your money, time differences, systems availability, and local laws. For example, deposits into Mexican accounts are regularly completed in as little as one hour, while deposits to Indian accounts typically take up to three hours to complete and deposits to most countries in Europe arrive in your recipient’s bank account the next day.
How long until cash is available for recipient to pick up at an agent location?
If you choose the cash pickup option for your transfer, the money is typically available to your recipient for collection within minutes.
What payment methods are available when sending money from an agent location?
In most cases, you will have to use cash to pay for these transactions. If you are sending money online, you have more options – you can pay with credit or debit card, or pay directly from your bank account. Remember that paying with credit or debit card can incur higher fees.
How can I find an agent location?
Simply use the ‘Find a Location’ feature on the MoneyGram website to find your closest location.
What information do I need to supply when collecting money from an agent location?
You will need to supply a valid, government-issued photo ID and a transaction reference number.