Avoid overdraft fees with low balance alerts and predictions.Brigit is a budgeting app designed to help you avoid costly overdraft fees. It’s most known for its free advances, but you’re only eligible if you have a paid membership and meet strict requirements.
$0 per month
Cassidy Horton is a writer for Finder, specializing in banking and investments. She has a Bachelor of Science in Public Relations and a Master of Business Administration from Georgia Southern University. Cassidy enjoys educating people about financial services, exploring the Pacific Northwest and watching endless reruns of The Office.
If you struggle with keeping your bank balance above $0, Brigit can help you avoid costly fees. Once you link your account, it analyzes your spending to predict when you’ll overdraft. Plus, it sends push notifications when your account balance is low.
But its budgeting features fall flat. It doesn’t do much else besides send a few notifications when your balance is low and offer to cover the difference with a pay advance. Unlike other apps, you can’t create or manage a budget and it doesn’t offer to negotiate fees on your behalf.
How much does it cost?Brigit has two plans to choose from:
|Plus||$9.99||Everything in the free plan, plus:|
If you choose the paid plan, your monthly membership fee is taken straight out of your linked checking account each month.
How do I open a Brigit account?
Follow these easy steps to sign up for Brigit:
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- From the official Brigit website, click Sign up free.
- Enter your email and phone number and click Text Me A Code.
- Type in your code and click Continue.
- Set up a four-digit pin and click Continue.
- Enter your first and last name and click Continue.
- Select your state and click Continue.
- Confirm that you’re eligible for an account and click Continue.
- Follow the prompts to connect your bank account and get started with Brigit.
How does Brigit work?Brigit helps you stay on top of your spending by sending low account balance alerts. It tracks how much money comes in and out of your account, how many bank fees you pay and any recurring payments you have coming up. Brigit analyzes this information to predict when your checking account will overdraft, which gives you plenty of time to adjust your spending to avoid the fee.
If you’re a Plus member, Brigit offers interest-free pay advances and access to a financial tracking feature that shows your spending and earning trends over time.Brigit connects to over 6,000 banks and credit unions.
What are the pros and cons of Brigit?
Compare these pros and cons to see if Brigit is right for you:
- Decent free version. The only difference is that the paid version comes with a pay advance and a financial tracking feature that charts your income vs. expenses over time.
- Low balance notifications. Get a push notification when your checking account balance is low.
- Financial wellness score. Brigit rates your financial wellness on a scale of 0 to 100. The higher your score, the more financially secure you are.
- Overdraft prediction. The app analyzes your spending to predict exactly how many days away you are from overdrafting on your account.
- Doesn’t support joint accounts. Due to regulations, Brigit only supports individual checking accounts.
- Missing traditional budget features. You can’t create a budget or track expenses in Brigit, and it doesn’t negotiate fees on your behalf.
- No phone support. You can only reach Brigit through email or the contact form on its website.
- Strict advance requirements. You don’t qualify for an advance unless you’re a Plus member, opened your bank account at least two months ago, make at least $1,500 a month and have direct deposits set up.
Compare top budgeting software
If you’re looking for a more robust budgeting app that can help you gain control of your finances, check out our guide to budgeting for beginners.
Is Brigit safe to use?
You set up your Brigit account using a four-digit pin and phone verification. The app uses multifactor authentication and automatic logouts. Brigit secures your information with the same 256-bit encryption banks use. It never sells or shares your personal data with third parties. If it suspects any unusual activity on your account, it will notify you.