Harpenden Building Society mortgage review
Harpenden Building Society offers discount mortgages via a range of brokers and intermediaries. Discover whether these deals are right for you.
These mortgages are offered in repayment, interest-only or “part and part” formats. The lender is happy to consider self-employed applicants, contractors or those buying unusually structured properties. It will consider your eligibility for its products on a case-by-case basis, without conducting a traditional credit check.
What types of mortgage does Harpenden Building Society provide?
- Discount mortgages. This is the core product on offer. The mortgage rate will be fixed at a specific percentage below the lender’s standard variable rate for either two or three years. You’ll be automatically switched to the standard variable rate after this initial period. The maximum loan-to-value for a repayment mortgage is 80%.
- Guarantor mortgages. Harpenden Building Society will allow first-time buyers to add a guarantor to their discount mortgage application. This will improve their chances of being approved for this mortgage.
- Later life mortgages. This variant of the product has no upper age limit for applicants. The maximum loan-to-value is 70%.
- Buy to let mortgages. The lender also offers its discount mortgages for landlords hoping to purchase buy-to-let properties.
- Remortgages. These deals are available to those looking for a remortgage, as well as those buying a new property.
- Interest-only mortgages. An interest-only mortgage or “part and part” mortgage is available with the same terms. The maximum loan-to-value ratio is 75%.
London and Country Mortgage Experts
L&C is a specialist broker offering mortgage comparison & free advice.
- Compare over 80 mortgage lenders
- Fee FREE mortgage advice
- Personal customer service from start to finish
- Open 7 days a week
How do I contact Harpenden Building Society?
For mortgage enquiries, call 01582 463133. Alternatively, you can visit one of its six branches in and around Hertfordshire.
How do I apply for a Harpenden Building Society mortgage?
You can only apply for a Harpenden Building Society mortgage via a broker or intermediary. The lender suggests this decision is part of its continued commitment to responsible lending.
Indeed, this means you’ll only be recommended a Harpenden Building Society mortgage if your broker or intermediary believes it’s the most suitable deal on its books.
If you’re happy to apply for a Harpenden Building Society mortgage, your broker will pass on your application to the lender.
A decision on your eligibility will typically be made within 48 hours. Harpenden Building Society doesn’t make affordability decisions based on traditional credit checks. Instead, it makes its own decisions on a case-by-case basis.
What information do I need to provide?
Employees need to provide their most recent P60 and three most recent monthly payslips. Self-employed applicants need to provide at least three years of annual accounts.
Your last three monthly statements for your current account(s), your two most recent statements for your credit card(s) plus details of existing loans and savings products.
To be considered for a Harpdenden Building Society mortgage, you must:
- Be aged 18 or over.
- No older than 75
- Secure the loan against a property in England or Wales.
- Have suffered no CCJs over £500, bankruptcies or IVAs in the last three years.
Mortgage loans can be between £75,000 and £3,500,000 depending on your circumstances. The maximum mortgage term is 35 years.
Find a mortgage using a broker to compare the market
Frequently asked questions