The Co-operative Bank was founded as the Loans and Deposit department of CWS in 1872 and today offers a wide range of mortgages, loans, accounts and credit cards to its customers. If you’re in the market for a mortgage, The Co-operative Bank offers products to suit first-time buyers, people who are moving home, and borrowers looking to re-mortgage to find a better deal.
Since 2018, the lender has only offered new mortgages through its intermediary mortgage brand, Platform.
What types of mortgages can I get with the Co-operative Bank?
- Fixed rate Your interest rate will remained locked for a set amount of time.
- Remortgages You can switch from your existing mortgage provider by applying for one of Platform’s remortgage products.
- Variable rate Your interest rate will shift up and down based on various economic conditions
- Tracker The interest rate will fluctuate in line with the Bank of England base rate.
- Buy to let This mortgage allows you to borrow money to buy an additional property and let it out.
With these mortgages, you’ll have a cash bonus paid into your bank account following the confirmation of your mortgage.
- Shared ownership With a shared ownership mortgage, you can buy a percentage of the property and pay rent on the remainder. You can then apply to buy additional percentages of the property as and when you can afford it.
How to apply
Mortgage through the Co-operative Bank brand are no longer available to new customers as it has become an intermediary-only brand. However, new customers can apply for a mortgage through the Platform brand, which is owned by The Co-operative Bank. Platform offer a wide range of mortgages, including two, three and five year fixed rate mortgages and two year tracker mortgages. If a mortgage from Platform piques your interest, you’ll need to use a mortgage adviser to get one.
What information do I need to provide?
You’ll be asked to provide proof of identity, proof of address, recent bank statements, plus your last three monthly payslips or your last two SA302 forms if self-employed. Proof of deposit may also be required.
You’ll need to be at least 18 years old when applying and no older than 75 when your mortgage term is due to end.
Platform will lend a maximum of 4.85 times your annual income. Applicants with unsatisfied CCJs, major criminal convictions or IVAs within the last six years will be declined.
Frequently asked questions
Ask an Expert