Al Rayan Bank is a Sharia-compliant lender. This means its mortgages charge rent instead of interest. Here’s what you need to know.
Al Rayan Bank follows Sharia law, which forbids companies from charging interest. This means its mortgages work a little differently from most.
Its version of a repayment mortgage works similarly to a shared ownership agreement. You’ll buy a percentage of your property with your mortgage deposit, while the rest will be owned by the bank. Your monthly payment increases your share in the property, but also includes a rental payment for the bank’s share of the property. At the end of the mortgage term you will own the property outright.
The bank’s version of an interest-only mortgage involves an agreement to make these rental payments for the length of the term, with an option to buy the bank’s share of the property outright afterwards.
Al Rayan Bank’s mortgages have no early repayment charges.
London and Country Mortgage Experts
- Compare 80 mortgage deals
- Fee FREE mortgage advice
- Personal customer service from start to finish
- Open 7 days a week
What types of mortgage does Al Rayan Bank provide?
- Home Purchase Plan (fixed rate). This is the bank’s version of a repayment mortgage. You can be eligible for this deal with a deposit as small as 5% of the property value. These deals are available with a fixed “rental rate” for either two or three years. After this period, the rate will revert to the Al Rayan Bank Variable Rental Rate, which is fixed to a specific percentage above the Bank of England base rate. These products have a one-off administration fee attached.
- Home Purchase Plan (discounted rate). With this mortgage type, the “rental rate” is fixed at a specific percentage below the Al Rayan Bank Variable Rental Rate. It will revert back to this rate after two years.
- Buy-to-let Purchase Plan. The lender offers both versions of its Home Purchase Plan to landlords purchasing a buy-to-let property. To be eligible, you must raise a deposit worth at least 25% of the property value. This deal comes with a product fee worth 1% of the amount borrowed.
- Refinancing. If you’re looking to switch from a traditional non-Sharia mortgage, Al Rayan Bank will waive your administration fee and valuation fee. It also offers cashback of up to £300 on its refinancing mortgages.
How do I contact Al Rayan Bank?
You can discuss your queries about Al Rayan mortgages by visiting a local branch, filling out the contact form on its website or calling 0800 4083 093. Phone lines are open on weekdays from 9am to 7pm or Saturdays between 9am and 1pm.
How do I apply for an Al Rayan Bank mortgage?
You can apply for an Al Rayan Bank mortgage by visiting one of its branches, calling 0808 231 3363 or filling out its online application form.
In all circumstances, you’ll need your personal details and detailed information about your income and outgoings to hand.
To be considered for an Al Rayan Bank mortgage, you must:
- Be aged 21 or over
- Be a UK resident or a UK national living abroad
- Secure the loan against a property valued at least £80,000
Mortgage loans can be between £30,000 and £1,500,000 depending on your circumstances. Mortgage terms can range between 7 and 32 years.