We’ve analysed The AA’s temporary car insurance. The company says it can arrange instant cover for up to 28 days that won’t put a no-claims bonus at risk. We’ve highlighted the features and benefits.
You may know The AA for its breakdown cover but did you know it offers short-term car cover which can be tailored to suit a range of requirements? Our review tells you the key features.
Compare temporary car insurance providers
Who is The AA?
The Automobile Association or “The AA”, as it’s widely known, is the UK’s largest motoring organisation. It’s been around since 1905, when its duties were to alert motorists in London to road dangers through signs, and to attend car breakdowns. In 1967 it branched out into insurance and now covers cars, vans, caravans and motorbikes, as a broker.
While the AA’s annual car insurance is 5-star Defaqto-rated, it has partnered with Tempcover for temporary cover. Tempcover also offers temporary motorbike, van and home insurance.
The AA’s policy features
- Flexible insurance. You can choose cover from just one hour up to 28 days.
- Comprehensive cover. The highest level of cover comes as standard. If you are responsible for causing an accident, you’ll be protected for damage to other people’s vehicles or property and for your own vehicle against accidental damage and vandalism. You’ll also have protection against any fire damage or theft of your car.
- Unaffected annual no-claims discount. A claim made on a temporary policy won’t affect any annual no-claims discount built up.
- Instant cover. Get instant cover from the moment you purchase.
What does The AA’s temporary cover include?
Here are some of the benefits of The AA’s temporary car insurance:
- Accidental damage
- Fire and theft damage
- Third party EU cover
- Legal liability
- Comprehensive EU cover (optional)
- UK Roadside breakdown cover (optional)
- Gadget cover (optional)
- Personal accident cover up to £20,000 (optional)
- Alloys, scratch, dent and tyre cover (optional)
- Excess reimbursement cover (optional)
Can anyone take out The AA’s temporary car insurance?
Unfortunately not. To get short-term car cover, both you and the car must meet The AA’s eligibility criteria:
- Be aged between 18 -75
- Have held either a current and full UK driver’s licence for a minimum of six months (European Union driver’s licence for at least 12 months) or a provisional driving licence
- Have been resident in the UK for 12 months or more
The car must:
- Be registered in Great Britain, Northern Ireland or the Isle of Man
- Have a market value of less than £65,000
- Have no more than eight seats including the driver’s seat
- Be right-hand drive
- Not be modified (except for modifications designed to aid disabled drivers)
- Not be used to carry goods or passengers for hire or reward
What is my excess?
Your insurance excess is the amount of money you have agreed to pay towards a claim. Your insurer won’t pay out for a claim that costs less than your excess. A compulsory excess amount might vary depending on the age of your motorbike and your riding experience.
A voluntary excess is on top and is normally set by you when taking out a policy. You’ll have the option of adding or increasing a voluntary excess – which should lower your premium.
You’ll find details about any compulsory or voluntary excesses in your policy document.
What is the claims process for The AA’s temporary car insurance?
As The AA acts as introducer to Tempcover Ltd for its temporary car insurance, you will need to refer to your actual policy document to verify who your insurer is and then find the insurer’s respective claims line details.
Keep your policy details, personal contact details and information relating to the incident to hand when making your claim.
It’s vital that you let your insurer know about an incident as soon as possible, even if it’s not your fault. Failure to do this could result in a rejected claim later on.
Pros and cons for The AA
- Comprehensive cover as standard
- The cover can begin instantly
- Making a claim won’t affect a no-claims discount built up on an annual policy
- Cover can be enhanced with extra protection
- No discount available for buying temporary cover online
- Limited third party EU cover as standard
- Cover for a maximum of 28 days only
- Can only pay upfront