Emperor Investments review
- Minimum deposit
|Available asset types
Now that Emperor Investments no longer serves consumers directly, compare your other robo-advisor options or consider other ways to invest.
Compare other robo-advisors
Paid non-client promotion. Finder does not invest money with providers on this page. If a brand is a referral partner, we're paid when you click or tap through to, open an account with or provide your contact information to the provider. Partnerships are not a recommendation for you to invest with any one company. Learn more about how we make money.
Finder is not an adviser or brokerage service. Information on this page is for educational purposes only and not a recommendation to invest with any one company, trade specific stocks or fund specific investments. All editorial opinions are our own.
How does Emperor Investments work?
Emperor uses advanced technology that takes your preferences and situation into consideration to select the right stocks for you:
- Portfolio management. Emperor offers a desktop dashboard and mobile-optimized website to help you easily manage your investments.
- Diversification. They’ll place your money in hand-picked stocks across different industries to diversify your portfolio.
- Products. Emperor allows you to open an individual investment account, Roth IRA, Traditional IRA or Rollover IRA.
- Resources. The FAQ and blog help you learn everything you need to know about investing with Emperor.
- Security. Emperor accounts are SIPC-insured for up to $500,000 in the event that the firm goes out of business. The company is also regulated by the SEC, meaning it must follow a strict set of rules designed to protect investor’s accounts.
How much does it cost?
Emperor strives to make investing affordable through the use of technology, which enables it to charge lower fees than a traditional financial advisor:
How do I fund my Emperor account?
To open an account with Emperor, you’ll need to link your bank account to fund your portfolio. There are two ways you can do this:
- Through a service called Plaid, which uses your bank login information.
- Manually, by entering your bank information and then confirming two small deposits and withdrawals from your account.
What are the benefits of Emperor?
Emperor’s personalized portfolios offer a handful of benefits that aim to help you grow your investment:
- Few fees. You’ll only pay an annual management fee of 0.6%.
- Higher returns. Emperor claims it has outperformed the market over the past 11 years.
- Pure equities. Your money is spread out across various equities, allowing Emperor to customize your portfolio and giving you part-ownership of the companies you invest in.
- Personalized. Emperor invests your money in stocks that are tailored to your financial goals and automatically rebalances your portfolio when necessary. Plus, it doesn’t invest in ETFs, so there are no hidden management fund fees.
- Earn passive income. Portfolios are designed to earn dividends that can be reinvested or withdrawn, allowing you to earn passive income.
- Dream team. Every quarter, Emperor uses its algorithm to analyze all US stocks, then uses filters to further narrow down the results, creating a pool of portfolio-worthy stocks.
What should I watch out for?
Emperor is a unique investment that can help you reach your financial goals, but there are a few things to be aware of:
- Online only. Emperor operates entirely online, so you won’t be able to visit a branch or speak to customer service in person.
- Slightly higher fees. Emperor has a slightly higher management fee compared to other robo-advisors. However, there are no other fees, so you may end up saving money.
- Fees are taxed. The fees you pay are not tax free.
- Limited options. Emperor only allows you to invest in equities and offers individual, Roth IRA, Traditional IRA and Rollover IRA accounts.
- Minimum opening deposit. Unlike some of its competitors, Emperor requires a minimum deposit of $500 to gain access to a portfolio.
- Limited track record. Emperor is a fairly new company, so it’s tough to get an idea of how well it performs.
How do I sign up and get started?
Emperor helps you start saving in as little as five minutes with a straightforward online application:
- Visit the Emperor website and click Get your portfolio.
- Click Get Started on the next page.
- Answer the questionnaire that includes question about your age, and how long you’d like to invest for.
- After completing the questionnaire, you’ll be told your risk level and presented with a potential portfolio. If you like what you see, click Sign up.
- Set up an account, then click Next.
- Enter the authentication code from the registration email, then click Next.
- Enter more personal information, then click Next.
- Proceed through each of the six steps to verify your identity, view investment regulations, select your account type, understand the account agreement and link your bank account.
- Once you’ve completed all steps, your account will be open and you can start investing.
To set up an Emperor portfolio, you’ll need to meet a few eligibility requirements:
- Have a valid Social Security number.
- Have a US residential address.
- Be a US citizen.
- Make an initial deposit of at least $500. You can open an account without a deposit, but you won’t gain access to a portfolio until you deposit the minimum.
During your application, you’ll need to provide the following information:
- Name, date of birth and phone number.
- Residential and mailing addresses.
- Employment information.
- Social Security number.
- Investment experience.
- Financial goals.
- Savings, assets and debts.
- Income information.
- Aversion to risk.
I’ve signed up. Now what?
After you’ve opened your account, there are a few things you can do to get the most out of it:
- Ensure your profile is up to date. Make sure your contact information and other details are up to date, especially if you’ve moved recently.
- Review your investment preferences. Go over your investment preferences every few months to make sure they align with your current and future financial situation.
- Set up investment goals. After logging into your account, you can set up individual financial goals with adjustable timelines and the ability to add recurring deposits.
How to contact Emperor customer service
Emperor customer service is available from Monday to Friday between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET, and you can get in touch by phone or email:
- Phone: 855-588-7577
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Emperor is a fairly new investment company that helps you reach your goals using a personalized portfolio of pure equities. It uses advanced technology to invest your money in companies and stocks that meet its strict standards, so you’ll own part of each company and receive dividends that are reinvested to grow your portfolio faster.
But if you’re looking to invest with a company with a long history or physical branches, you might want to compare your options to find a robo-advisor that better suits your needs.
Frequently asked questions
Emperor Investments is not currently available on Finder
Have you considered SoFi Invest®?
- No-cost financial planning and automated investing
- $0 commission on stocks, ETFs and options
- Get up to $1,000 in stock when you fund a new account within 30 days
Ask a question using your email below.Ask a question
You are about to post a question on finder.com:
- Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
- finder.com is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
- We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
- Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked