Get a signup bonus of 15,000 miles — enough for three off-peak tickets — and more with everyday spending.
- Get this card if you fly Spirit Airlines and are looking for off-peak reward travel.
- Pick something else if you want flexibility in travel dates or are looking for more airline partners.
- Good to excellent credit score of 690 to 850 recommended.
|Product Name||Spirit Airlines World Mastercard®|
|Annual Fee||$0 annual fee for the first year ($59 thereafter)|
|APR (Annual Percentage Rate) for Purchases||14.74% to 24.74% variable|
|Balance Transfer Fee||3% or $10 (whichever is greater)|
|Cash Advance Rate||17.74% to 26.74% fixed|
|Cash Advance Fee||$10 or 5% of the cash advance amount, whichever is greater|
|Foreign Transaction Fee||3% of the transaction amount|
|Interest Free Period||Up to 25 days|
|Late Payment Fee||$38|
|Returned Payment Fee||$27|
|Additional Cardholder Fee||$0|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Welcome Bonus||Earn 15,000 miles after your first purchase|
|Reward Value per Dollar||miles|
|Rewards Points Expiry||Never|
Offered by Bank of America, the Spirit Airlines World Mastercard® can quickly help you rack up miles for redemption on future travel online with no blackout dates. With $0 annual fee for 12 months, you’ll earn bonus miles after your first purchase and bonus miles on your card anniversary when you spend $10,000 annually. You’ll also get double the miles for every $1 you spend on everyday purchases and preferred boarding and domestic priority check-in, where available.
The Spirit Airlines World Mastercard® comes with a $0 annual fee for your first year and a generous signup bonus of 15,000 miles earned after your first purchase. If you spend at least $10,000 annually, you’ll get 5,000 bonus miles on your card’s anniversary. All everyday purchases earn x miles and with automatic enrollment in FREE SPIRIT Dining Rewards, you’ll earn 5x miles by dining with participating restaurants.
The one major drawback is that miles must be redeemed online directly with Spirit Airlines — an airline known for penny pinching both on the aircraft and off. Redemption levels start at a low 5,000 miles for round-trip reward tickets, but you’re still on the hook for up to $45 in baggage fees, even as a cardholder.
Still, if you frequently fly the low-cost Spirit Airlines — through it’s main Fort Lauderdale hub or to its flights throughout the US, Caribbean, Mexico, Latin America and South America — you may be able to make even the $59 annual fee that applies in your second year worth it.
If you’re looking to redeem your rewards for a wider range of airlines, look into other airline cards that may also come with no foreign transaction fees while traveling — something this card does not offer.
Spirit Airlines World Mastercard® vs. other Bank of America travel cards
|Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® Card||Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card||Spirit Airlines World Mastercard®|
|Signup bonus||30,000||20,000 points||15,000 miles|
|Earning potential||1x miles for Alaska Airlines and Virgin America purchases, 3x miles for all other purchases||1.5x points on all purchases||x miles on everyday purchases|
|Redeeming rewards||Redeem miles through Alaska Airlines, Virgin America or the global partner network||Redeem points for statement credit or flights, hotels, vacation packages, cruises, rental cars or baggage fees||Redeem awards online with Spirit|
|Foreign transaction fee||$0||$0||$0|
You’ll earn rewards no matter which Bank of America travel card you select. What varies is how much you pay in fees, the number of miles or points you’ll earn and how you can redeem them when you’ve enough to cash in.
- Annual fee. The Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card is a no-fee card, while the Spirit Airlines World Mastercard® and Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® Card come with annual fees.
- Verdict. Consider getting the Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card if you don’t want to pay an annual fee.
- Signup bonus. All three cards offer signup bonuses of 15,000 to 30,000 miles if you meet basic spend requirements. But the Spirit Airlines World Mastercard® offers and additional 5,000 miles on your anniversary date if you spend at least $10,000 a year.
- Verdict. The 15,000 bonus miles that come with the Spirit Airlines World Mastercard® might not sound like much when compared with the other two cards, but cardholders can earn additional bonus miles each year.
- Mile earnings. You’ll earn varied flat miles-per-dollar rewards for all purchases made using these cards. The Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® Card offers 1x miles for purchases made with Alaska Airlines and Virgin America.
- Verdict. If you frequently fly Alaska or Virgin America, the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® Card could help you rack up more rewards.
Get 15,000 bonus miles after you use your card for the first time — that’s enough miles for up to three off-peak tickets with Spirit Airlines.
Anniversary miles bonus.
Spend $10,000 with your card in a year, and you’ll earn 5,000 bonus miles on the anniversary of your signup date.
FREE SPIRIT Dining Rewards.
You’re automatically enrolled in this free program that gives you 5x miles when you dine at participating restaurants.
Earn unlimited miles.
Get x miles on everyday purchases with this card with no cap on your earning potential.
Easy online redemption.
Redeem your miles through Spirit.com for airfare, hotel rooms, car rentals or cruises. No blackout dates apply on award tickets.
You’ll also like…
Receive domestic priority check-in and preferred boarding where available.
$0 intro fee.
Pay nothing to use the card in your first year and $59 thereafter.
Security and protection.
This chip-enabled card comes with $0 liability guarantee for fraudulent transactions. You can also sign up for email or text security alerts.
What to watch out for
Annual fee in your second year.
Although $59 isn’t much to pay for a travel card, the card serves no purpose if you don’t use it to earn and redeem rewards with Spirit Airlines.
Potentially high penalties.
Late payments can cost you up to $38 along with a penalty APR that stays at up to 29.99% indefinitely.
Redeem miles with Spirit Airlines only.
All miles must be redeemed through Spirit’s website and partners that do not include other airlines.
Miles expire quickly with no activity.
If there’s no activity on your account for a short three months or more, your miles will expire.
Consider other cards if…
You don’t fly with Spirit Airlines.
If you fly other airlines more often, consider a more flexible rewards card.
You want cash back.
Unlike other rewards cards that offer cash back, the Spirit Airlines card does not.
Compare other Bank of America credit cards
What to know before you apply
You can apply for the Spirit Airline World Mastercard if you’re:
- At least 18 years old.
- A US resident.
Always consider your options and your financial situation before you apply for a credit card.
What credit score do I need?
Your chances of approval for the Spirit Airline World Mastercard increase with a good to excellent credit score of 690 or higher.
How to apply for the Spirit Airlines World Mastercard®
- On the Spirit Airlines World Mastercard® website, click Apply Now.
- Complete the application with your personal and financial information and click Review your information.
- Confirm that your information is correct and submit your application.
How long will it take to be approved?
You’ll find out about your application’s conditional approval almost as soon as you submit it online.
I got the card. Now what?
- Make payments. Register with Bank of America online to make payments toward your account balance at any time.
- Avoid interest. After each billing cycle, the bank gives you at least 25 grace days to pay off your outstanding balance. Purchases start attracting interest only after this period.
- Avoid fees. Late and returned payment fees can serve as considerable setbacks. Cash advances and balance transfers also come with fees.
- Customer service. BofA’s automated assistant Ask Jenn provides live help or call customer support at 800-732-9194. Connect with BofA on Facebook or on Twitter @BankofAmerica.
If you enjoy flying with the low-cost Spirit Airlines, the Spirit Airlines World Mastercard® could help you accumulate miles toward flights and more. If you’re looking for flexibility in redeeming your rewards, consider another travel card.