Motion Auto car insurance review
Drive your way to savings with telematics, no driving test required.
finder.com's rating: 4.5 / 5
- Get a quote if you’re curious about savings or don’t qualify with similar companies.
- Pick something else if you value customer reviews.
- Drivers dedicated to improving their driving skills could get the best rates.
New car protection
|New car protection||No|
|Pay schedule||12 months|
|Claims methods||online, phone|
- Instant coverage
- No test drive required
- Customized premiums
- Safe driving lowers future rates
- Bare website information
- Driver tracking isn’t for everyone
- No 24/7 customer service
- Few customer ratings
|Anti-theft device discount||No|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||No|
|Safety device discount||No|
|Special employment discount||No|
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for nearly five years, after earning an English education degree. Her insurance know-how has been featured on CarInsurance.com. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
Motion Auto uses highly pinpointed technology to bring you the lowest rates based on your driving habits and location. Unlike other telematics-based companies, you’ll most likely get coverage even if you need to improve your safe driving skills as you go.
But understand that you’ll be one of the first to test out this company since its credibility isn’t backed with customer reviews or business ratings. It’s understandable if you prefer a more experienced insurer or want to compare quotes from multiple car insurers.
What insurance coverage does Motion Auto offer?
Motion Auto helps you meet state requirements and then some, especially with its high liability coverage. Coverage included:
- Bodily injury liability. Pay for others’ medical bills with maximums as high as $500,000 total per accident.
- Property damage liability. Shoulder responsibility for damage you caused to other cars and property.
- Collision. Restore your car when you’re at fault for accident damage.
- Comprehensive. Cover car repairs after noncollision events like storms, theft or vandalism.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist. Don’t strain your finances for damage caused by an underinsured driver.
- Medical payments. Coverage for accident-related medical bills.
- Loan/lease payoff. Pay off your loan or lease if your car value is worth less than your payoff amount after a total loss.
What extra benefits and add-ons does Motion Auto offer?
On top of a lower premium for your safe driving, the company helps you squeeze extra coverage and benefits for your bucks, including:
- Accident forgiveness. You won’t see your premium jump for your first accident after a long accident-free run.
- Diminishing deductibles. Watch your deductibles decrease as you continue to drive safely.
- Driver assistance. Find savings if your vehicle has added safety features, including driver assistance technology.
- Safe driver. See your premium drop as you improve your driving safety skills.
- Roadside assistance. Get roadside services like battery jumpstarts or changing a flat tire, plus access a tow truck through the app.
- Rental car. Get reimbursed for your rental if your car is in the shop for covered repairs.
- Custom parts. Protect the improvements you made to your car after purchase, like a customized upholstery or radio system.
How does Motion Auto insurance work?
Motion Auto policies are built around telematics, which tracks your driving habits to determine your premium.
But unlike other telematics insurers, you can sign up without a test drive. If you don’t want a test drive, the company will determine your premium based on standard factors like your driving record and location, then update for the next term based on your driving. Motion Auto uses other rating factors in your premium, but at a lesser extent than your driving habits.
Your insurance rate is more flexible with Motion Auto as well. The app tracks your driving over time, not just during a test drive, and is designed to help you improve your driving. If your driving improves, you should see a lower rate.
Pros and cons of Motion Auto car insurance
- Instant coverage. Get coverage as soon as you finalize your application.
- Highly customized premiums. Motion Auto partners with a location services company to track your habits and precise road conditions for a personalized premium.
- No test drive required. Motion Auto gives you a chance to improve safety and drive down rates.
- Safe driving lowers rates. As you drive more safely, you’ll see your premium go down.
- Bare website information. The company doesn’t detail coverage information or list insurance partners.
- Driver tracking. You might not want a company tracking your location and habits, no matter the level of security.
- No 24/7 service. You can leave a message anytime, but customer service hours are 4 am to 12 midnight PT.
- Few customer ratings. The startup doesn’t have a BBB rating and almost no reviews online or on its app.
How to apply for Motion Auto car insurance
The company claims you can get coverage in as little as two minutes. Use the app to apply in a few steps:
- Download the Motion Auto app and create your 12-digit password.
- Take a photo of your driver’s license to retrieve personal information.
- Enter other driver and vehicle details.
- Choose your coverage plan, finalize payment and start your policy.
How do I make a claim with Motion Auto?
You might find this insurer’s app-based claims convenient, or file by phone or email.
- App. Find the claims section in the app and follow the prompts.
- Phone. Call a customer representative at 480-795-4752.
- Email. Report your accident at email@example.com.
What info do I need to apply?
Get coverage by filling in these key details on your application:
- Marital status
- Drivers license details
- Vehicle license plate number or VIN
- Additional driver details
- Payment information
Alternatives to Motion Auto
Frequently asked questions about Motion Auto
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you. We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.