Motion Auto car insurance review
Get instant protection, track and boost your driving skills to lower rates. But low app ratings.
finder.com's rating: 4.5 / 5
- Get a quote if you’re curious about telematics or don’t qualify with similar companies.
- Pick something else if you value high customer ratings.
- Drivers dedicated to improving their driving get the best rates.
New car protection
|States served||Arizona, Tennessee, Utah, Wisconsin|
|New car protection||No|
|Pay schedule||12 months|
|Claims methods||online, phone|
- Instant coverage
- No test drive required
- Customized premiums
- Safe driving lowers future rates
- Bare website information
- Driver tracking isn’t for everyone
- No 24/7 customer service
- Few customer ratings
|Anti-theft device discount||No|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||No|
|Safety device discount||No|
|Special employment discount||No|
Sarah George is an insurance writer at Finder who’s penned over 400 articles, unraveling complicated topics about car, home and life insurance. Her insurance know-how has been featured in online publications, including Breeze, CBS, CNET and Reviews.com, as well as Finder’s YouTube channel. Sarah is working to become a Certified Educator in Personal Finance (CEPF).
Motion Auto uses highly pinpointed technology to bring you the lowest rates based on your driving habits and location. Unlike other telematics-based companies, you’ll most likely qualify even if you need to improve your driving skills as you go.
Other telematics companies require you to pass a test drive before they approve your policy — but Motion Auto lets you choose whether or not to take its test drive.
Motion Auto also offers a well-rounded list of coverage to meet your needs on the road. However, the company sees below-average ratings from customers in the Google Play and Apple Stores. Keep in mind that it’s common for customers to leave reviews only when they’ve had a bad experience.
But if you’re looking for a more experienced insurance company or are curious about rates, compare other companies that offer telematics car insurance to find the best fit.
How to get a free quote for Motion Auto car insurance
The company claims you can get coverage in as little as two minutes. Use the app to apply in a few steps.
- Download the Motion Auto app and create your 12-digit password.
- Take a photo of your driver’s license to retrieve personal information.
- Enter other driver and vehicle details.
- Choose your coverage plan, finalize payment and start your policy.
What info do I need to apply?
You can buy car insurance after filling in these key details on your application.
- Marital status
- Drivers license details
- Vehicle license plate number or VIN
- Additional driver details
- Payment information
How does Motion Auto insurance work?
Motion Auto policies are built around telematics, which tracks your driving habits to determine your premium.
But unlike other telematics insurers, you can sign up without a test drive.
If you don’t want a test drive, the company will determine your premium based on standard factors like your driving record and location, then update for the next term based on your driving.
Motion Auto uses other rating factors in your premium, but at a lesser extent than your driving habits.
Your insurance rate is more flexible with Motion Auto as well. The app tracks your driving over time, not just during a test drive, and is designed to help you improve your driving.
If your driving improves, you should see a lower rate.
What benefits and add-ons does Motion Auto offer?
On top of a lower premium for your safe driving, Motion Auto helps you squeeze out extra benefits for your bucks.
- Accident forgiveness. You won’t see your premium jump for your first accident after a long accident-free run.
- Diminishing deductibles. Watch your deductibles decrease as you continue to drive safely.
- Driver assistance. Find savings if your vehicle has added safety features, including driver assistance technology.
- Safe driver. See your premium drop as you improve your driving safety skills.
- Roadside assistance. Get roadside services like battery jumpstarts or changing a flat tire, plus access a tow truck through the app.
- Rental car. Get reimbursed for your rental if your car is in the shop for covered repairs.
- Custom parts. Protect the improvements you made to your car after purchase, like a customized upholstery or radio system.
Motion Auto car insurance reviews and complaints
Motion Auto is accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and holds an A+ BBB rating, showing that it handles customer complaints quickly and scores well on other factors rated by the BBB like the company’s transparency. Motion Auto only has one customer review on the BBB — the customer had a poor experience waiting for a rep to help with canceling the policy.
As for its Apple Store reviews, about 20 customers rate Motion Auto with 1.7 out of 5 stars. Google Play Store customers rate the company with 2.8 out of 5 stars, based on nearly 60 reviews. Customers complain about the app not letting them log in, while some say that customer service is hard to reach and that they’d prefer a 24/7 service line.
However, it’s common to see negative reviews with insurance companies, and many happy customers won’t leave a review about their experience. Outside of these ratings, you won’t find many other reviews or ratings online. We checked these ratings in 2021.
Our star ratings for Motion Auto, explained
Finder’s car insurance experts rate Motion Auto above average because of its potential for low prices if you’re a safe driver, its solid list of coverage and its high BBB rating.
|AM Best financial rating||NR|
|Customer reviews verified as of||28 June 2021|
Alternatives to Motion Auto
See how the coverage and features from other companies compare to Motion Auto. When you find a company that you’re interested in, tap Get quotes to see your customized rate.
What insurance coverage does Motion Auto offer?
Motion Auto helps you meet state requirements and then some, especially with its high liability coverage. Your coverage options include:
- Bodily injury liability. Pay for others’ medical bills with maximums as high as $500,000 total per accident.
- Property damage liability. Shoulder responsibility for damage you caused to other cars and property.
- Collision. Restore your car when you’re at fault for accident damage.
- Comprehensive. Cover car repairs after noncollision events like storms, theft or vandalism.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist. Don’t strain your finances for damage caused by an underinsured driver.
- Medical payments. Coverage for accident-related medical bills.
- Loan/lease payoff. Pay off your loan or lease if your car value is worth less than your payoff amount after a total loss.
Pros and cons of Motion Auto car insurance
Motion Auto’s telematics car insurance policy stands out because you can buy insurance within minutes without needing a test drive. Unfortunately, you won’t know much about its customer service ahead of time due to few customer ratings online.
- Instant coverage. You can start your car insurance coverage as soon as you finalize your application.
- No test drive required. Motion Auto gives you a chance to improve your safety skills and drive down rates, rather than denying coverage after a test drive like some telematics companies.
- Designed to improve your driving. As you drive more safely, you’ll see your premium go down.
- File claims in app. Get the convenience of reporting an accident from your phone. That way you can file the claim as soon as possible, even while you’re on the go.
- No 24/7 general customer service. Customer service hours are 9 am to 5 pm MST, although you can get roadside assistance any time of the day or night.
- Low app ratings. While its BBB rating is strong, customers rate the company below average on app stores for its customer service availability and login troubles.
- Bare website information. The company doesn’t detail coverage information or list insurance partners.
How to file a claim with Motion Auto
You might find this company’s app-based claims convenient, or you can file by phone or email.
- App. Find the claims section in the app and follow the prompts.
- Phone. Call a customer representative at 480-795-4752.
- Email. Report your accident at email@example.com.
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you. We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.