Green Dot 5% Cash Back Visa Debit Card review
Earn rewards — but only up to a low maximum each year.
- Get this card if you want to earn rewards on your spending and have a mobile app to manage your money.
- Choose another card if you plan on making cash deposits or using it abroad.
Rhys Subitch is a writer and editor at finder.com who tackles topics across the site. With half a decade of experience researching, editing and writing for a Fortune 500 company, university and several independent publications, Rhys brings readers the most up-to-date and curated info on all things finance.
TheGreen Dot 5% Cash Back Visa Debit Card is best for those looking to earn rewards on their everyday spending. Its solid reward rate makes it an appealing option when paired with its mobile app and instant domestic money transfer feature.
But be cautious of fees that can eat into your hard-earned cash and rewards.
What you’ll like
Cash back and a convenient app set Green Dot’s 5% Cash Back Visa apart from the competition, but they’re not the only benefits on offer. Its features include:
- 5% cash back. As the name implies, you’ll earn 5% cash back on eligible purchases made with the card. Your rewards get capped at $100 per year.
- No credit check required. Sign up for an account without worrying about being denied for credit reasons or taking a hit to your score.
- No overdraft or bounced check fees. Going into the red won’t come with a fee, but you’ll still need to cover the negative balance.
- Mobile money management. Download the app to register or get a new card, check your balances or transfer money to anyone in the US.
- Direct deposit is free. Funds added to your account via direct deposit come without a service fee. You could also be eligible to receive your pay up to two days early.
- Purchase fee is waived when you sign up online. Get the card through the website or mobile app to avoid the initial purchase cost.
- Instant mobile payments. According to Green Dot, money sent to friends and family within the US transfers instantly.
- Paper checks available. For an additional fee, you can request paper checks once you’ve registered your card.
- Secondary cardholders available. You can add a secondary cardholder and receive a personalized card for them.
What to watch out for
No prepaid card is perfect, and Green Dot has its flaws, too. Be aware of the following before you sign up:
- Unavoidable $9.95 monthly fee. You’ll be charged a maintenance fee of $9.95 to keep your account open. That means even earning the max amount of rewards in a year won’t fully offset the maintenance cost.
- A number of regular fees. It’ll cost you to deposit checks or order checks of your own, reload your card in-store and withdraw money from an ATM or teller.
- Withdrawal limits. You’re limited to $500 each day in withdrawals.
- Reward cap. You’ll only be able to earn up to $100 in rewards each card year.
- Rewards can only be redeemed once a year. You have to wait for your card year to be up in order to redeem any rewards you’ve earned.
- Jetsetters beware. Every international purchase comes with a fee equal to 3% of the transaction.
If you’re looking for a debit card you can use internationally, you’ll want to keep looking. As always, compare your options when choosing a debit card.
Green Dot 5% Cash Back Visa Debit Card fees
Green Dot provides the following fee schedule on its website, but you may incur more depending on your card usage:
|Initial purchase||Up to $1.95 in store; $0 online|
|Cash deposit with a retail partner||Up to $4.95|
|ATM balance inquiry||$0.50|
|Foreign transactions||3% of the transaction|
Compare with other prepaid cards
While Green Dot is a widely-known name in the prepaid card space, it’s by no means the only option. Check out these other providers to make sure you’re getting the best card for your wallet.
How do I get the Green Dot 5% Cash Back Visa Debit Card?
The Green Dot 5% Cash Back Visa Debit Card is available online and in stores. To sign up online and skip the purchase fee, follow these steps:
- Go to the Green Dot website.
- Click Our products, then 5% cash back card.
- Scroll down and select Open an account.
- Enter your personal information, select a PIN and agree to the terms and conditions. Then click Send my card.
How long will it take to get my card?
It will take about five to seven business days after your information is verified and account approved to receive your personalized card when you sign up online.
Have the following ready before you order your card online.
- Full name, residential address and mobile phone number
- Date of birth and Social Security number
- Possibly a state or federal ID, such as a driver’s license or passport if further verification is needed
To register your Green Dot 5% Cash Back Visa Debit Card, you must:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have a Social Security number
You can load funds in several ways, including:
- Direct deposit. Load money to your card for free with direct deposit.
- Bank transfer. Send money directly from an external bank to your card for free.
- Moneypak. Load between $20 and $500 for a flat $5.95 fee using Moneypak.
- Cash. Retail partners can accept cash deposits for a fee.
- Check. Deposit checks using the mobile app for a fee.
I got the card. Now what?
Your Green Dot 5% Cash Back Visa Debit Card has several features you can take advantage of to help offset its monthly cost.
- Sign up for direct deposit. Get the information for your account from the Green Dot site or mobile app by signing in to your account, then hand it over to your payroll team and enjoy free deposits.
- Max out your cash back. Use your card for qualifying transactions to get as much of the $100 reward as you can. Doing so will help offset the monthly maintenance fee.
- Redeem your rewards. Once a card year is up, you’ll have a year to redeem your rewards.
- Contact customer service. Get your questions answered by calling the number on the back of your card or 866-795-7597 to chat with customer service. You can also send Green Dot a message over Twitter @greendotcards.