Green Dot 5% Cash Back Visa Debit Card review
Earn rewards — but only up to a low maximum each year.
- Get this card if you want to earn cash back on your spending and have a mobile app to manage your money.
- Choose another card if you plan on making cash deposits or using it abroad.
Monthly maintenance fee
Rhys Subitch is a writer and editor at Finder who tackles topics across the site. With half a decade of experience researching, editing and writing for a Fortune 500 company, university and several independent publications, Rhys brings readers the most up-to-date and curated info on all things finance.
The Green Dot 5% Cash Back Visa Debit Card is best for those looking to earn rewards on their everyday spending. Its solid reward rate makes it an appealing option when paired with its mobile app and instant domestic money transfer feature.
But it can only be purchased in-store and you should be cautious of fees that can eat into your hard-earned cash and rewards.
How much does Green Dot 5% Cash Back Visa Debit Card cost?
Green Dot provides the following fee schedule and limits on its website, but you may incur more depending on your card usage:
|Fees & limits||Cost|
|Initial purchase||Up to $1.95|
|Cash deposit with a retail partner||Up to $4.95|
|ATM balance inquiry||$0.50|
|Foreign transactions||3% of the transaction|
|Maximum card balance limit||$10,000|
|Daily purchase limit||$3,000|
|Daily ATM withdrawal limit||$500|
|Daily teller withdrawal limit||$1,500|
|Daily cash deposit limit||$2,999|
If you’re looking for a debit card you can use internationally, you’ll want to keep looking. As always, compare your options when choosing a debit card.
How do I open a Green Dot 5% Cash Back Visa Debit Card account?
The Green Dot 5% Cash Back Visa Debit Card is only available in store at these participating retailers:
- ACE Cash Express
- CVS Pharmacy
- Dollar General
- Family Dollar
- Rite Aid
Once you’ve bought your card in-store, register it online using these steps:
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- From the Green Dot website, click Register a New Card in Hand.
- Type in your card’s 16-digit number, expiration date and CVV and click Next.
- Follow the steps to enter your personal information and verify your identity.
Have the following information ready when you go to register your card online:
- Full name, residential address and mobile phone number
- Date of birth and Social Security number
- Possibly a state or federal ID, such as a driver’s license or passport if further verification is needed
To register your Green Dot 5% Cash Back Visa Debit Card, you must:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have a Social Security number
You can load your Green Dot cash back card in several ways, including:
- Direct deposit. Load money to your card for free with direct deposit.
- Bank transfer. Send money directly from an external bank to your card for free.
- Moneypak. Load between $20 and $500 for a flat $5.95 fee using Moneypak.
- Cash. Retail partners can accept cash deposits for a fee.
- Check. Deposit checks using the mobile app for a fee.
What you’ll like about Green Dot’s Cash Back prepaid card
As with most prepaid cards, the Green Dot 5% Cash Back Visa card has no credit check and a convenient app that lets you instantly transfer funds to friends and family within the US. But it also has quite a few benefits that set it apart from the competition:
- 5% cash back. As the name implies, you’ll earn 5% cash back on eligible purchases made with the card. Your rewards get capped at $100 per year.
- No overdraft or bounced check fees. Going into the red won’t come with a fee, but you’ll still need to cover the negative balance.
- Direct deposit is free. Funds added to your account via direct deposit come without a service fee. You could also be eligible to receive your pay up to two days early.
- Paper checks available. You can request paper checks once you’ve registered your card. But it’ll run you $5.95 for a pack of 12 checks.
- Secondary cardholders available. You can add a secondary cardholder and receive a personalized card for them.
What to watch out for
No prepaid card is perfect, and Green Dot has its flaws, too. Be aware of the following before you sign up:
- Can’t purchase online. You must visit a retail location to get the Green Dot 5% Cash Back Visa card.
- Unavoidable $9.95 monthly fee. You’ll be charged a maintenance fee of $9.95 to keep your account open. That means even earning the max amount of rewards in a year won’t fully offset the maintenance cost.
- A number of regular fees. It’ll cost you to deposit checks or order checks of your own, reload your card in-store and withdraw money from an ATM or teller. Plus, every international purchase comes with a 3% foreign transaction fee.
- Reward cap. Your earnings are capped at $100 a year, and you can only cash them in on your card’s anniversary.
Compare with other prepaid cards
While Green Dot is a widely-known name in the prepaid card space, it’s by no means the only option. Check out these other providers to make sure you’re getting the best card for your wallet.
I got the Green Dot cash back card. Now what?
Your Green Dot 5% Cash Back Visa Debit Card has several features you can take advantage of to help offset its monthly cost.
- Sign up for direct deposit. Get the information for your account from the Green Dot site or mobile app by signing in to your account, then hand it over to your payroll team and enjoy free deposits.
- Max out your cash back. Use your card for qualifying transactions to get as much of the $100 reward as you can. Doing so will help offset the monthly maintenance fee.
- Redeem your rewards. Once a card year is up, you’ll have a year to redeem your rewards.
- Contact customer service. Get your questions answered by calling the number on the back of your card or 866-795-7597 to chat with customer service. You can also send Green Dot a message over Twitter @greendotcards.