- $0 per month
The company partners with Ecosia, a nonprofit search engine that plants trees. For every $60 you spend with your wooden Treecard debit card, one tree will get planted. The company also earmarks 80% of its profits to fund reforestation projects managed by Ecosia.
But the perks don’t stop there. This account is 100% free to use and you can track your spending and environmental impact directly in the mobile app.
But it currently has a multi-step signup process, and it doesn't support cash deposits or remote check deposits.
Wooden debit card
Every purchase reforests the planet
Dedicated customer service
Requires additional signup steps
Must load funds
Card replacement fee
How do I open a Treecard account?
Follow these steps to get your Treecard:
- Visit the Treecard website.
- Click Get the Card to initiate the sign up process. Click Start.
- Enter your email address, phone number and first name.
- Type what country you live in and how you heard about Treecard.
- Answer a few questions about your potential card activity.
After you signup, you’ll receive an email invitation to order your Treecard within 24 to 48 hours.
Open a Treecard account when you meet these requirements:
- At least 18 years old
- Full-time US resident
Required informationTreecard will ask for this information when you sign up:
- Full name
- Date of birth
- Residential address
- Social Security number
What are the benefits of a Treecard account?Treecard is FDIC insured and comes with a mobile app where you can freeze your debit card, set up spending notifications, split bills with friends and more. It offers these unique perks:
- Wooden debit card. Each account comes with a Treecard debit card that’s made out of sustainably sourced FSC cherry wood. The plastic inside of the card is made from recycled bottles.
- Every purchase reforests the planet. The company plants one tree for every $60 you spend with your Treecard. Plus, the company donates 80% of its profits to reforestation.
- Zero fees. The company makes money from merchant interchange fees instead of consumer fees, which means it’s completely free for you to use.
- Consumption tracking. Monitor your spending and track how many trees you’ve helped plant straight from the Treecard mobile app.
- Dedicated customer service. Treecard account holders have 24/7 account support by email and phone.
What should I look out for?Treecard is a breath of fresh air in the banking space, but there are still a few potential things to watch out for:
- Requires additional signup steps. The initial card application only gets you an email invitation to sign up. You’ll need to follow the instructions to finish the signup process.
- Must load funds. While your Treecard is linked to your bank account, you’ll need to manually add money to your account. You can also set up autoload deposits to trigger a transfer once your balance drops under a set amount or you can schedule recurring deposits.
- Card replacement fee. The only fee that you’ll pay is for a new card if yours is lost, damaged or stolen.
If you’re looking for an eco-friendly account you can open today, check out these socially responsible banks.
Treecard‘s ATM network and feesTreecard is a Mastercard debit card you can use to withdraw cash from your balance, but the company doesn’t have its own network of ATMs. While Treecard doesn’t charge a fee to withdraw cash, the ATM operator might.
Compare Treecard with other accounts
Use this table to see how Treecard compares to other accounts:
How do I deposit or withdraw my money?Treecard doesn’t support cash deposits, wire transfers and remote check deposits. But you can access funds using these methods:
- Direct deposit
- ACH transfer from another account
- Debit card purchases
- ACH transfer to another account
- Mobile wallets
Frequently asked questions
Checking account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top checking accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: monthly fees, the ease at which monthly fees can be waived, the breadth of ATM access, ATM and overdraft fees, and customer service.
Treecard is not currently available on Finder
Have you considered SoFi Checking and Savings?
Earn up to 4.60% APY on savings by meeting deposit requirements, and 0.50% APY on checking balances. Members without deposit requirements will earn 0.50% APY on both savings and checking balances. Turn on automatic savings or use the Roundups feature to help you reach your savings goals faster. Get up to $2M of additional FDIC insurance through a network of participating banks.
- 0.50% APY on checking balance
- Up to 4.60% APY on savings
- $0 account or overdraft fees
- Get a $300 bonus with direct deposits of $5,000 or more
Ask a question using your email below.Ask a question
You are about to post a question on finder.com:
- Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
- finder.com is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
- We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
- Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked