Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Geico car insurance claims
Geico makes the claims process easy with online tools and a highly rated app.
Whether you’re at fault or not, getting into a car accident can be stressful. Geico’s claims process aims to take the hassle out of the aftermath.
Geico has high claims satisfaction with its quick and easy app, helping you file claims online 27/7. And if you take advantage of the Auto Repair Xpress program, you’ll get a lifetime guarantee on repairs.
How do I file a car insurance claim with Geico?
As a major insurer, Geico has a team of adjusters and customer service representatives around the country. The claims department is open 24/7, and there are three ways to file a claim. Once you’ve reported your claim, you can use the online claims center to search for repair shops, schedule an inspection and access the forms you need, like a medical release form.
- Phone. Call 800-841-3000.
- Website. Go to the online Claims Center and file a claim in roughly five minutes.
- App. The Geico mobile app has a handy Easy Estimate feature that guides you to snap and tag a series of photos from different angles so Geico gets a better idea of your claim.
What information do I need to make a claim with Geico?
To file and resolve your claim quickly, the app has a handy checklist to help you with your claim. Once you contact Geico, provide it with the following details:
- Personal information, including your name, phone number and address.
- Date, time and location of the accident or incident.
- Description of the accident or incident.
- Description of damage.
- Names, phone numbers and addresses of all drivers, passengers and witnesses.
- Company name, policy number and phone number for other insurance companies.
- Photos of the accident scene and all vehicles involved.
- Police report number and officer name, if emergency services responded.
What happens when I make a claim with Geico?
- File your claim. You’ll then receive a unique claim number. You can also monitor your claim by logging into the Geico Claims Express portal with your name and claim number. You’ll usually hear from a Geico adjuster within one business day.
- Assess damages. If your car is safe to drive, Geico schedules a time for you to bring it to a repair facility, where an adjuster answers any questions, evaluates the damage and writes up an estimate. The inspection usually takes 30 minutes, and if you have rental reimbursement coverage, the adjuster sets you up with a rental car. If your car isn’t safe to drive, a Geico rep will meet you at the location where your car has been towed.
- Collect information. Geico’s liability examiner may contact the other drivers, passengers and witnesses for their account of the accident or incident, and request police reports.
- Repair your car. Once Geico approves the estimate, take your car to the repair shop of your choice or one of Geico’s network of preferred shops, called the Auto Repair Xpress program. Your adjuster facilitates the repair process directly with the shop and keeps you updated on your car’s repair status.
- Pick up your car. When your car has been fixed, you can collect it from the shop and return your rental car at the same time.
- Settle your claim. Depending on the damage, Geico pays the repair shop directly or sends your payment directly to your bank account or debit card or with a check in the mail. For straightforward claims, the insurer pays damages up to your policy limits, minus any deductibles.
- Check your next insurance bill. Filing a claim won’t necessarily affect your premium. If Geico decides to raise your rates, you’ll receive notice 30 days before renewal. You can qualify for Geico accident forgiveness if you’re accident free for five years, except in California, Connecticut or Massachusetts.
What about Geico’s mechanical breakdown coverage?
If you purchased mechanical breakdown coverage for your new car, you can file a claim the same way you’d make any claim. The difference with this coverage is that Geico covers repairs to all mechanical parts of the car excluding issues caused by improper maintenance and wear and tear.
You’ll pay a $250 deductible directly to the repair shop for each mechanical problem. For example, if both your brakes and air conditioner need to be fixed, you’ll pay $500. If the repair shop is unable to find any mechanical failures, Geico won’t pay for the diagnostic or inspection fees.
My claim with Geico was denied. What can I do next?
Contact Geico’s customer service team first to find a solution. If you’re still not satisfied with the way your complaint was handled, you can engage a lawyer or contact your state insurance department to investigate the issue.
Thanks to its easy-to-use online tools and speedy responses to claims, Geico has a high claims satisfaction. The company is aware of its tech-savvy audience, and aims to make the claims process as convenient and seamless as possible. It’s also financially strong, which reassures customers that it has the financial resources to pay out claims.
To get the coverage you need for the best price, be sure to compare car insurance providers.
Frequently asked questions about Geico claims
More guides on Finder
What cars are made in America?
Check out the top 50 American car models, and find out what makes them American.
2020 shakes up the car insurance industry in a good way
A company you’ve never heard of just made it to the top for customer satisfaction. Here’s who did what to better serve their customers.
Car insurance for drivers 25 to 40 years old
Take advantage of the lowest minimum coverage rates by earning all the discounts you can.
How much will I get from disability insurance?
Disability insurance typically pays out between 40% and 80% of your income, but will depend on the type of policy you have.
People are still dying after more than 6 years of Takata recalls – are you at risk?
Know your rights if your car has defective Takata air bags, and learn how to find your car’s manufacturer recalls.
Heacock Classic car insurance review November 2020
Insure your classic car or race car at agreed value with Heacock Classic, but you’ll have to look elsewhere if you have recent claims or major violations.
Doggo pet insurance review Nov 2020
With round-the-clock support, customer experience and policy perks are this company’s claim to fame.
Driving without car insurance
Since driving uninsured comes with steep penalties, look at your coverage options or consider alternatives.
Say car insurance review Nov 2020
Offers a transparent look at your premiums and rewards renewal with a better insurance score.
Compare bus conversion insurance
Find and qualify for the right type of policy when living in a skoolie.
Ask an Expert