Connexus Credit Union home equity review
- State availability
- Not available in: AK, HI, MD, TX
Connexus Credit Union offers a variety of options for tapping into your home’s equity. You can choose your loan’s term and can qualify for a discount on your closing costs. But if in-person banking is important to you, this lender only has a handful of branches located in four states.
|Loan products offered
|Home equity loan, HELOC, Second lien ARM
|3.49% APR to 15.9% APR
|HELOC: 15-year draw, 15-year repayment
Loan: 5 to 20 years
|Not available in: AK, HI, MD, TX
Pros and cons of Connexus Credit Union
- Closing costs discount available. You can save $600 on your closing costs on home equity loans of $40,000 or more. Enter the promotion code EQUITY when you apply.
- Flexible terms and options. With four home equity products to choose from and the ability to set your own loan term, you should be able to find a product that works for you.
- Limited branch locations. Connexus is part of a co-op that gives you access to ATMs and services at shared branches, but actual Connexus branches are limited to four states: Minnesota, New Hampshire, Ohio and Wisconsin.
- Products not available nationwide. Connexus doesn’t offer its home equity products to customers in Alaska, Hawaii, Maryland or Texas.
What types of fees does Connexus Credit Union charge?
You won’t pay an annual fee on your HELOC with Connexus, and the lender doesn’t require home appraisals for their equity products, which can save you some money. If you qualify, you can get up to $600 off your closing costs, which Connexus estimates can range from $175 to $2,000.
Connexus Credit Union requirements
This lender isn’t very forthright about specific requirements but indicates that approval is mostly based on your credit score and credit history. Your interest rate is also affected by your credit score as well as the amount of equity in your home, the size of the loan or line of credit you want, and how long you need to pay it back.
You’ll need to gather the following information to apply:
- Drivers license
- Social Security number
- Employment and income information
- Information on your coborrower, if applicable
- Property information, including your insurance, tax and association fees
- Mortgage information
How to apply for a home equity loan with Connexus Credit Union
Whether you want a loan or line of credit, use the following steps to start your application:
- Go to the Home Equity page of the Connexus website and select Apply Now.
- Choose the product you want to apply for and answer questions about your property. Choose Continue.
- Upload an image of your driver’s license to autofill or manually enter your personal information, including income and employment information. Select Continue.
- Review your application details and hit I Agree to allow Connexus to run your credit report.
What types of home equity products does Connexus Credit Union offer?
Connexus offers four options to use your home’s equity.
- Home equity loan. This fixed-rate option allows you to borrow up to 90% of your home’s equity and choose your repayment term from five to 20 years.
- Home equity line of credit (HELOC). Draw money as you need it for up to 15 years and then repay the money over the next 15 years. Your payments throughout the draw and repayment periods are equivalent to 1.5% of the amount you borrowed.
- Interest-only HELOC. This option is similar to the HELOC, only you make interest-only payments through the draw period and only start paying on principle once the repayment period begins.
- 5/1 adjustable-rate 2nd lien. This is an adjustable-rate second mortgage with a fixed rate for the first five years and a variable rate for the rest of the loan that adjusts annually.
Other mortgage products offered by Connexus Credit Union
This lender also offers the following mortgage loans:
- Conventional loans
- Refinance loans
How Connexus Credit Union’s home equity products compare to other lenders
Connexus offers more home equity loans than most banks, with a standard HELOC and interest-only HELOC, as well as an adjustable-rate second mortgage and fixed-rate home equity loan.
This lender offers one discount on closing costs. By using the EQUITY promotional code, you can get up to $600 off on loans of $40,000 or more, which is applied as a lender credit during closing.
Compare interest rates for home equity loans, HELOCs and cash-out refinancing
Use our tool to get personalized estimated rates from top lenders based on your location and financial details. Select whether you’re looking for a Home Equity Loan, HELOC or Cash-Out Refinance.
If you selected a home equity loan or HELOC, enter your ZIP code, credit score and information about your current home to see your personalized rates.
In the Cash-Out Refinance tab, select Refinance and enter your ZIP code, credit score and other property details to see what you might qualify for.
Connexus Credit Union reviews and complaints
Connexus doesn’t have many customer reviews online. The lender isn’t accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB), but as of July 2022, it has an A+ rating for answering 26 customer complaints in the last three years. The credit union has earned 1.73 out of 5 stars from only 11 reviews.
Trustpilot only has four reviews on file for Connexus, where it earns a 3.5-star TrustScore.
Most customer complaints are about poor customer service and fees, though one review complained of an unauthorized hard credit check.
Connexus Credit Union offers flexible terms and a nice selection of options to borrowers looking to tap into their home’s equity. With no annual fees and discounts on your closing costs, this could be a good fit, but only if you live within the area it serves.
Ask a question using your email below.Ask a question
You are about to post a question on finder.com:
- Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
- finder.com is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
- We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
- Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked