Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to activate a Mastercard credit card
Most card providers offer similar activation procedures.
Updated . What changed?
How you activate your Mastercard credit card ultimately depends on your card’s provider. Most providers let you activate your card online, by phone or through their mobile app, with most activation methods taking just minutes. Here’s the most common ways of activating
How to activate your Mastercard credit card online
Online card activation is often the fastest way to start using your card, but you’ll first need an online account with your provider. If you don’t yet have one, enroll by providing personal information such as your Social Security number and date of birth, then:
- Log in to your card provider online account.
- Find your new credit card under Accounts.
- Enter your credit card information, such as your card number, expiration date and CVV/CVC.
- You may need to verify your ID with information like your date of birth and Social Security number.
How to activate your Mastercard credit card by phone
Card activation by phone is another widely used method.
- Call the number on the back of your card.
- Request to activate your card.
- Provide your Mastercard credit card’s information.
- You may be required to provide personal information as well.
How to activate your Mastercard credit card with a mobile app
Most large card providers let you activate your card with their mobile app.
- Download the card provider’s app from the App Store or Google Play.
- Log in with your online account username and password.
- Look for your card under Accounts.
- Follow the prompts.
Now that you’ve activated your card, it’s time to start using it. Here are a few good places to start:
- Check out your card benefits and features. Log in to your provider account to re-review your card’s rates and fees, as well as the card’s bonus perks and features. These features are often quite valuable and can help you make the most of your new card. Mastercards tend to feature a variety of unique benefits as well.
- Start earning rewards. Depending on the type of Mastercard you have, you’ll want to make sure you use your card when buying purchases that earn you extra cash back or points. What type of reward you get and any limitations depends on your provider and type of card. These details are also listed on your provider account.
- Redeem your points. After you’ve done some spending, you can start looking at your redemption options. Cashback cards can only redeem on statement credits typically, but cards that earn points or miles often have more options. You can check out our guide for more information on how to best spend your points.
You can activate all Mastercard credit cards the same way you would activate any other card — by phone, online or through a company’s mobile app if available. If you end up looking for a top-rated secondary credit card to compliment your newly activated Mastercard, remember to compare your options.
More guides on Finder
If you’re looking for a broker comparable to Vanguard, check out these five contenders.
5 key TD Ameritrade competitors
Thinking of switching from TD Ameritrade? Here are 5 apps like TD Ameritrade that offer valuable benefits.
5 best overwater bungalows in Thailand
Our picks of the best overwater stays in the Land of Smiles from budget-friendly to luxurious.
How to buy Reserve Rights Token (RSR)
This guide will show you step-by-step instructions on how to buy the Reserve Rights (RSR) token as well as a list of exchanges you can trade it on.
How to buy Curve DAO Token (CRV)
This guide will show you step-by-step instructions on how to buy the Curve (CRV) token as well as a list of exchanges you can trade it on.
Apps like Acorns
Acorns alternatives offer lower fees and more investment options. Learn more.
These are the comfiest sweats I’ve worn — and they’re from a sustainable children’s brand
Hanna Andersson’s Organic Cotton Long John is comfortable and available in family sizes. Here’s what I thought of the fit, and details on sustainability.
Where to buy protective masks for wildfire smoke
Find in-stock face masks for wildires, smoke and dust, see our top picks and read tips for using respirator smoke masks.
Bitcoin price recovers but the bloodbath may not be over
The Chairman of Dubai’s IBC Group has pledged a whopping $4.8 billion into Bitcoin, as Microstrategy purchases another $1 billion of BTC.
How to buy Maker (MKR)
This guide will show you step-by-step instructions on how to buy the Maker (MKR) token as well as a list of exchanges you can trade it on.
Ask an Expert