Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
How to activate a Mastercard credit card
Most card providers offer similar activation procedures.
Before using your Mastercard, you’re going to have to activate it. Most providers let you activate your card online, by phone or through their mobile app.
How to activate your Mastercard credit card online
Online card activation is often the fastest way to start using your card, but you’ll first need an online account with your provider. If you don’t yet have one, enroll by providing personal information such as your Social Security number and date of birth, then:
- Log in to your card provider online account.
- Find your new credit card under Accounts.
- Enter your credit card information, such as your card number, expiration date and CVV/CVC.
- You may need to verify your ID with information like your date of birth and Social Security number.
How to activate your Mastercard credit card by phone
Card activation by phone is another widely used method.
- Call the number on the back of your card.
- Request to activate your card.
- Provide your Mastercard credit card’s information.
- You may be required to provide personal information as well.
How to activate your Mastercard credit card with a mobile app
Most large card providers let you activate your card with their mobile app.
- Download the card provider’s app from the App Store or Google Play.
- Log in with your online account username and password.
- Look for your card under Accounts.
- Follow the prompts.
Compare Mastercard credit cards
Now that you’ve activated your card, you can start using it. Later down the line, you may need a higher credit line or features that your current card lacks. Pairing credit cards can help you maximize your rewards.
For example, if you now earn flat rewards on all purchases — or if you don’t earn rewards at all — consider applying for a card that has the best rewards on groceries, gas or any other category where you spend most.
You can activate all Mastercard credit cards the same way you would activate any other card — by phone, online or through a company’s mobile app if available. If you end up looking for a top-rated secondary credit card to compliment your newly activated Mastercard, remember to compare your options.
Frequently asked questions
Ask an Expert