RAC temporary car insurance review March 2021 | Finder UK

RAC temporary car insurance review

We've analysed the RAC's temporary car insurance. Will it give you the promised flexible and cost-effective protection? Here's what you need to know.


Fact checked
RAC car insurance

The temporary car insurance through the RAC gives the highest level of cover (comprehensive) as standard, and you can get it for 1 day – or even 1 hour – up to 30 days. Plus, the RAC says that an extra discount could apply for temporarily insuring a car that is already annually insured, and any claims made under a temporary policy won’t affect the annual no-claims discount.

Who is the RAC?

RAC stands for the Royal Automobile Club. The UK-based company was set up in 1897 to provide a breakdown recovery service. Over the years, it has branched out to provide other services, such as car insurance, home insurance and travel insurance.

The RAC says it aims to provide customers with affordable, quality car insurance and offers both personal and business short-term car, van and motorhome cover. RAC temporary insurance is arranged and administered by DayInsure.com Ltd.

RAC will accept almost anyone with a valid and full UK driver’s licence and can also cover customers who hold a full EU, EEA, Australian, New Zealand and South African driving licence and have done so for at least six months (or three months if aged over 25).

RAC policy features

  • Flexible insurance. You can choose cover from just 1 hour up to 30 days.
  • Comprehensive cover. The highest level of cover comes as standard. If you are responsible for causing an accident, you’ll be protected for damage to other people’s vehicles or property and for your own vehicle against accidental damage and vandalism. You’ll also have protection against any fire damage or theft of your car.
  • Instant cover. Get instant cover from the moment you purchase with the process taking around 15 minutes.

What does the RAC’s temp cover include?

Here are some of the benefits of the RAC’s temporary car insurance:

  • Legal liability
  • Loss or damage by fire, theft or vandalism
  • Accidental damage
  • New car replacement
  • Accident recovery and approved repair service
  • RAC short-term UK breakdown cover (optional)
  • Full EU cover (optional)
  • RAC short-term European breakdown cover (optional)

Compare temporary car insurance providers

Data updated regularly
Name Product Cover for Cover length Details
Temporary car and van insurance
1 hour - 28 days
Tempcover offer flexible cover from 1 hour to 28 days across a range of vehicles including cars, motorbikes and vans.
Insure Daily
Temporary car insurance
1-28 days
Insure Daily offer instant, comprehensive cover for anything between 1 and 28 days.
Safely Insured
Safely Insured
Short term & learner driver
1- 84 days
Safely Insured offer flexible cover for cars and vans from 1 to 84 days
Temporary car insurance
1 hour - 28 days
Fully comprehensive, extendable cover from 1 hour to 28 days
insurelearnerdriver car insurance
Temporary learner driver insurance
1-140 days
Temporary learner driver insurance now from 1 day to 140 days.

Short term & learner driver
1 - 6 months
Ingenie offers learner driver and black box insurance. Customers are able to build up their no claims discount when they start learning to driver.

Compare up to 4 providers

Can anyone take out RAC temporary car insurance?

Unfortunately not. To get short-term car cover, both you and the car must meet the RAC’s eligibility criteria.

You must:

  • Be aged 18-75
  • Hold a UK, EU, EEA, South African, Swiss, Australian or New Zealand driver’s licence and have had it for at least three months (or six months if you’re aged under 25)
  • Have had no more than two fault claims in the previous three years
  • Have had no more than 9 penalty points and no disqualifications in the previous 18 months
  • Have had no motoring offence relating to specified offences (in the previous three years or six months depending on the offence)
  • Have not been convicted of any criminal offence in the previous five years

The car must:

  • Be registered in Great Britain, Northern Ireland or the Isle of Man
  • Have a market value of less than £75,000
  • Have no more than eight seats including the driver’s seat
  • Not have had any cosmetic or performance-related modifications (some other modification exceptions apply)
  • Not have been imported
  • Not be used to carry goods or passengers for hire or reward
  • Not be used to carry hazardous goods
  • Not be driven at any hazardous location

What is my excess?

Your insurance excess is the amount of money you will need to pay towards a claim. Your insurer won’t pay out for a claim that costs less than this amount. A compulsory excess amount might vary depending on the age of your car and your driving experience.

A voluntary excess is on top and is normally set by you when taking out a policy. You’ll have the option of adding a voluntary excess or increasing it – which should lower your premium.

You’ll find details about any compulsory or voluntary excesses in your policy document.

What is the claims process for the RAC?

You should call the DayInsure claims line on 08000 156 166 to make a claim. This 24-hour claims line is open 7 days a week.

You will need to provide the following information:

  • Your own insurance policy details
  • Details about the incident
  • Names and contact details of everyone involved in the incident such as third parties, passengers and witnesses
  • Details about the damage or injuries sustained

It’s vital that you let your insurer know about an incident straight away, even if it’s not your fault. Failure to do this could result in a rejected claim later on.

Pros and cons for RAC temporary car insurance


  • Comprehensive cover as standard
  • The cover can begin instantly
  • Extra discount for temporarily insuring a car that’s already annually insured


  • Limited third party EU cover as standard
  • Cover for a maximum of 30 days only
  • RAC temporary car insurance cannot be used by learner drivers

Our verdict

If you’re looking for temporary car insurance, RAC offers comprehensive cover as standard but if you need protection for more than 30 days, you’ll have to look elsewhere.

Remember to shop around for short term insurance and compare any deals that match your needs.

Frequently asked questions

The offers compared on this page are chosen from a range of products we can track; we don't cover every product on the market...yet. Unless we've indicated otherwise, products are shown in no particular order or ranking. The terms "best", "top", "cheap" (and variations), aren't product ratings, although we always explain what's great about a product when we highlight it; this is subject to our terms of use. When making a big financial decision, it's wise to consider getting independent financial advice, and always consider your own financial circumstances when comparing products so you get what's right for you.
*51% of consumers could save £283.97 on their Car Insurance. The saving was calculated by comparing the cheapest price found with the average of the next five cheapest prices quoted by insurance providers on Seopa Ltd’s insurance comparison website. This is based on representative cost savings from August 2020 data. The savings you could achieve are dependent on your individual circumstances and how you selected your current insurance supplier.

More guides on Finder

  • Business gadget insurance

    Find business gadget insurance to cover all your expensive items such as mobile phones and laptops.

  • Modified motorcycle insurance

    Find out what type of insurance you need if you’ve made additions or alterations to your motorbike.

  • Compare the best business credit cards of 2021

    Saving time on expense reports and streamlining your cash flow are just a couple of the many perks you could enjoy with a business credit card. Compare interest rates and check your eligibility today.

  • Learner motorbike insurance

    Find out what motorcycle insurance for learner riders includes, what affects the cost of premiums and how you can save money.

  • Peugeot 108 insurance group

    Find out which insurance group the Peugeot 108 falls under and how much it costs to insure.

  • Multi bike insurance

    Consider your options with multi motorcycle insurance and learn about ways to save on your insurance premiums.

  • Lexus IS200 insurance group

    Find out which insurance group the Lexus IS200 falls under and how much it costs to insure.

  • Lexus CT200 insurance group

    Find out how much it could cost to insure the Lexus CT200 based on your age and location.

  • MG ZR insurance group

    Find out which insurance group the MG ZR falls under and how much it costs to insure.

  • MG3 insurance group

    Find out how much it could cost to insure the MG3 based on your age and location.

Go to site