An online and in-store lender with reasonable turnaround time.
finder.com’s rating: 3.6 / 5.0
OneMain Financial has been helping people with loan solutions since 1912. With a large network of branches, it provides personalized loan solutions and one-on-one local services. Although you won’t have access to the largest loan amounts out there, you’ll be able to get your loan quickly — saving you time.
|Product Name||OneMain Financial Personal and Auto Loans|
|Min. Loan Amount||$1,500|
|Max. Loan Amount||$30,000|
|APR||16.05 to 35.99%|
|Interest Rate Type||Fixed|
|Minimum Loan Term||2 years|
|Maximum Loan Term||5 years|
|Requirements||Loan approval and actual loan terms depend on your ability to meet OneMain’s standard credit criteria (including credit history, income, and debts) and if applicable, the ability to provide collateral. Collateral offered must meet OneMain’s criteria.|
What makes OneMain Financial unique?
OneMain Financial hasn’t forgotten its roots in traditional banking experience. It offers loans along with financial education to help you plan for the future, and it accepts applicants who may not have the best credit.
Unlike many other providers, OneMain Financial allows you to receive your loan as a prepaid card or as a direct deposit into your bank account. The loan process isn’t completely online. If you’re preapproved, you’ll be able to meet with someone face-to-face to discuss your loan and finalize your application — which can be nice, but may be inconvenient for busy borrowers.
What types of loans does OneMain Financial offer?
OneMain Financial offers unsecured and secured personal loans that can be used for a variety of purposes, including debt consolidation, home repairs, travel costs and unexpected bills. It works with a “no surprise” approach. Your interest rate, payment and loan term will all be fixed.
Loan decisions are made after OneMain Financial reviews your application. Acceptance or denial is based on your financial situation, credit score and ability to pay back the loan. Depending on your state of residence, you may be able to get a loan between $1,500 and $30,000. Higher loan amounts may be available to highly qualified applicants who can provide collateral.
Some states have minimum loan amount restrictions. Residents of California must borrow at least $3,000. If you’re a resident of Georgia and not a current customer, you must borrow at least $3,100.
Benefits of OneMain Financial personal loans
- Fast turnaround. If approved before noon on a business day, you could receive your funds the same day. A OneMain loan specialist can provide additional information about funding options and funds availability.
- Secured loans available. You have the option to apply for a secured loan with collateral, which may result in a larger loan amount.
- Poor credit applicants considered. If you have a poor credit score, you can still apply for a loan. OneMain Financial doesn’t have a hard minimum credit score requirement.
- Seven-day satisfaction commitment guarantee. If you change your mind about a loan with OneMain Financial, you have seven days to cancel. Return all loan proceeds and sign a cancellation agreement within seven calendar days from the date of the loan.
- Multiple branches. OneMain Financial has nearly 1,700 branch locations in 44 states.
*Annual percentage rate (APR) of 18.49% represents APR for top 10% of loans booked in January 2017 through March 2017. Maximum APR is 35.99%, subject to state restrictions. APRs are generally higher on loans not secured by a vehicle. Active duty military, their spouse or dependents covered under the Military Lending Act may not pledge any vehicle as collateral for a loan.
What to watch out for
- Loan purpose restrictions. Like many lenders, OneMain Financial doesn’t allow its loans to be used for postsecondary education or business-related expenses.
- Stiff penalties for late payments. If you miss or make a late payment on a loan, you could pay high late fees. If you continue to miss payments and default on a secured loan, you risk losing your collateral.
- State availability. OneMain Financial doesn’t operate in the following states: Alaska, Arkansas, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington D.C. If you live in one of those states, you’ll have to look elsewhere for a loan.
- Must complete process at a branch. If you’re looking for a loan that’s completely online, you’ll want to opt for another lender. Even if you apply online, OneMain Financial requires borrowers to visit a branch to get funding.
- Full coverage insurance required for collateral. If you take out a secured loan, OneMain Financial requires you to have full coverage on the vehicle you use as collateral.
Compare OneMain Financial to other top loan providers
What does the Internet have to say about OneMain Financial?
OneMain Financial is accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and has an A+ rating based on factors like business practices and advertising. It has and over 1,200 reviews as of April 2019, 80% of which are positive. It also scores a 9.3 out of 10 on Trustpilot, based on over 8,000 reviews.
Positive notes include the excellent customer service offered by the employees at individual locations and the quick turnaround for approval. Negative notes include the borrower not understanding the full information about a loan before signing, problems with OneMain Financial releasing vehicle titles after the loan has been paid and problems with credit reports not being immediately updated after customers paid off the loan.
Is OneMain Financial legit?
Am I eligible?
To apply for a personal loan at OneMain Financial, you’ll need to meet the following requirements:
- Established credit history
- US citizen or permanent resident
- Meet your state’s minimum age requirement
How do I apply?
You can apply by visiting a OneMain Financial branch or by filling out its online application. Either way, be prepared to provide a few important pieces of information:
- Your full name and contact information
- Proof of a government-issued ID, like a driver’s license or passport
- Your Social Security number and date of birth
- The loan amount and what you intend to use it for
- Your employment status and income
I got the OneMain Financial personal loan. Now what?
It’s time to start thinking about repaying your loan. You can make a payment online, at a branch, by mail and by phone. You can also set up autopay — just be sure to check that your payment has gone through each month. If you’re unable to make a payment, you should reach out to OneMain Financial as soon as possible to discuss your situation.
If you need to change your payment due date, you can request one by sending an email or letter to your local branch. When you’re ready to pay off your loan, you can request a payoff amount. Until then, there are no prepayment penalties, so you can pay as much as you’re able to reduce the amount you owe on your loan.
OneMain Financial can be a good fit for people who have a credit score of 600+ but may have dings on their credit report from other factors. Before making a final decision regarding a loan, make sure to look at all of your options and read the fine print and browse your other personal loan options so you know you’re making a positive financial decision. And if it isn’t the right choice for you, consider other lenders like OneMain Financial.
Frequently asked questions
Personal loan ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top personal loan providers and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: rates and fees, customer reviews, loan amounts, loan processing and borrower experience.