We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
What is a seven-year fixed rate personal loan?
This type of personal loan has a term length of seven years and comes with a set-in-place interest rate. Because the interest rate is fixed, your monthly payments will remain the same throughout the entirety of the term — making budgeting for payments simpler.
Two important options to consider
Any loan establishment fees or monthly fees will be added onto your payments. And voila, at the end of the seven years with on-time payments, your debt will be repaid.
You have the option of either taking out a secured or unsecured loan. While you can generally use both types of loans however you please, there are a few key differences between the two.
- Secured loans
A secured loan includes an asset in order to be approved for a loan or get a better interest rate. Be careful though, if you default on the loan you’ll be forfeiting that asset you used as collateral.
- Unsecured loans
There’s no collateral involved, but you will likely need good credit to land an unsecured personal loan with a competitive interest rate. The lender can’t take your personal property if you default on this type of loan, but your credit will suffer.
Seven-year loan term: Pros and cons
- Payments for a long term loan are typically lower.
- Budgeting for payments will be simple as your payments will remain the same for seven years.
- A range of different financing options are available.
- You’ll end up paying more in interest with a longer loan term.
- You may be charged a fee for early or additional repayments.
4 questions to ask when comparing offers
As this loan will be with you for seven years, it’s important to compare your options and find the right one. Here are some points to keep in mind:
- What interest rate applies? Compare similar loans to see how competitive the interest rate is.
- How much will you be charged in fees? Check for origination fees, monthly fees, annual fees and any other fees you may be charged. If you want the option of paying back your loan early, check to see if you can do so without being subject to a prepayment penalty.
- Can I use the loan for what I want to? If you want to buy a car, is the vehicle eligible? If you want to consolidate debt, can you bring all of your credit accounts over? Check all aspects of the loan before applying.
- How can you access and manage your account? Since you’ll have this loan for seven years, it’s important to ensure you can manage your account effectively. Check if there is a mobile app or online account tools.
What is a seven-year fixed rate loan going to cost?
A personal loan is large responsibility, and if it’s not handled properly it could make the road to your financial future a bumpy one. When going forward with a loan, make sure that you’ll be able to make all of your payments in a timely fashion.
Here are few different loan amounts with different interest rates to give you an idea of what your monthly payment would be.
Compare more personal loan options
What can I use a fixed rate personal loan for?
Fixed rate loans are suitable for a range of purposes including:
- Debt consolidation. Use your new loan that has a lower fixed interest rate to pay off any outstanding debts from a credit card or personal loan with high interest.
- Home improvements. Add updates to your home that could increase its value or just make it a nicer place to live, and give yourself seven years to repay what you borrow.
- New or used vehicles. This not only includes cars, but also motorcycles, boats and even jet skis or RVs. Some lenders may have restrictions on using a loan for older vehicles.
- Vacations. If you’re planning on taking a trip you can take out a loan to pay for flights, hotel rooms or anything else you need.
- Weddings. Weddings can be expensive, but a personal loan can give you the extra funds needed for the ideal wedding.
- Other expenses. Realistically, you can use a personal loan for almost anything you’d like. However, remember that a financial product like a loan should always be used responsibly. It’s a good idea not to borrow money if you’re unsure you’ll be able to repay it.
Frequently asked questions
What shorter, fixed-rate terms are available?
Consider applying for a fixed rate personal loan in any one-year increment between one and seven years.
How do I know if I'm eligible for a fixed-rate personal loan?
Depending on the lender you apply with, confirm your eligibility before submitting your application. However, you’ll generally need to have good credit, be over the age of 18 and a permanent US resident or citizen.
How do I apply?
If you’ve found a loan you want to apply for and you meet the eligibility requirements, select Go to Site to submit your application directly with the lender.
More guides on Finder
4 times applying for a loan online makes sense
Online loans mean fast access to cash, especially if you don’t qualify with a traditional lender.
Revolut personal loans review: A quick-turnaround personal loan for Revolut customers.
Quick turnaround loans up to $30,000 — but they’re not available in the US just yet.
Bankrate personal loans review: Compare multiple lenders in one place.
Bankrate lets you quickly compare different personal loan options in one place.
BHG Money personal loans review: An option for high loan amounts.
Bankers Healthcare Group isn’t just for licensed healthcare workers. Compare large loans up to $200,000 with this legit online lender.
Best debt consolidation loans of September 2023
Compare 11 lenders to find one that’s a good fit for your needs.
Uplift travel loans review
Travel now and pay later with this unique lender that offers financing for flights, hotels, vacation packages and more.
Best no origination fee personal loans of 2023
Compare top lenders that offer personal loans with no fees for borrowers with good to excellent credit.
Fora Financial business loans review
Get funding of up to $500,000 with the benefit of early repayment discounts for qualifying borrowers.
PayPal Working Capital business loans review
Get financing for your e-business for a flat fee instead of interest, only if you have a PayPal account with consistent sales. No credit check required.
Swift Capital business advance review
Find out what Swift Capital can offer your business, with advances from $5,000 to $500K and short repayment periods that come with weekly repayment.
Ask an Expert