Motorbike breakdown cover
If you own a motorbike, find out how much breakdown cover costs to help you decide if it's worth investing in.
What is motorbike breakdown cover?
Motorbike breakdown cover typically lets you insure your motorbike, moped or scooter against the unfortunate event of it breaking down.
How does motorbike breakdown cover work?
Although policies will vary between providers offering the breakdown cover, you will generally be able to choose between two different types of policy.
A vehicle policy is specific to the insured motorbike, regardless of who is riding it. A personal policy is specific to you and allows you to ride any motorbike, or be a pillion passenger on the back of other motorbikes.
You will also have the option between:
- Standard breakdown cover. This is usually an annual policy you pay for. Based on the level of breakdown cover you choose, you will then be covered for any call-out or recovery charge.
- Insurance style: This is where you pay for the call-out or recovery of your vehicle and then claim the costs back.
Levels of motorbike breakdown cover
The features of the motorbike breakdown cover will vary between providers as well as the level of cover you choose. Generally, you can expect to see the following options:
- Local roadside assistance. If your motorbike breaks down, you’ll get roadside assistance and recovery to a local garage for any repair work that can’t be completed at the roadside.
- National roadside assistance. Regardless of where your motorbike breaks down, you can choose where you would like the motorbike towed to for repair work if the mechanic is unable to fix it at the roadside.
- Home breakdown. If you’re close to home when your motorbike breaks down or it won’t start outside of your home, you’ll get assistance with repairs.
- Onward travel. This will ensure your journey can continue even if your motorbike can’t immediately be fixed. You could get a replacement bike or tickets for public transport. In some cases, you may be covered for an overnight stay.
- European breakdown cover. This can be taken out for single European trips or as an annual policy offering cover for unlimited trips to Europe within the policy term.
Be sure to read your policy document carefully to ensure you have the right level of cover for your needs.
Make sure to familiarise yourself with any potential exclusions that could invalidate your motorbike breakdown cover. The insurer may refuse to offer cover if:
- The motorbike is not properly maintained. General maintenance of motorbikes, such as oil checks and tyre checks, are important to ensure a vehicle is safe to ride.
- The motorbike breaks down on private land. The recovery vehicle may not be able to access the land you’re stranded on.
- The motorbike breaks down after a collision. Recovery may be delayed while emergency services tend to the scene of an accident. Some policies may also exclude breakdown recovery following a collision.
How much is motorbike breakdown cover?
The cost of your motorbike breakdown cover will depend on several factors. These include:
- The type of cover you choose. Do you wish to insure your motorbike or yourself? Prices will vary between these two types.
- The level of cover you choose. Are you only likely to need local roadside assistance rather than national roadside assistance? Enhanced protection such as home breakdown cover and national roadside assistance will likely cost more than simple local roadside assistance.
- Details about the motorbike you wish to cover. Do you ride a small scooter or a powerful motorbike? The make and model, as well as the age of your two-wheeler will be considered carefully. You can generally expect the cost of cover to increase the older a motorbike is or the more expensive it was to buy.
- The number of bikes you wish to cover. If you regularly ride more than one motorbike, can you add other motorbikes to your policy?
Pros and cons of motorbike breakdown cover
- Save money
- Peace of mind
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Compare mobile phone insurance
Get a quote in seconds and save on your phone cover.
Taxi breakdown cover
Read our guide to breakdown cover for taxis and private hire vehicles to see what’s included and how much it might cost.
Business breakdown cover
Learn what business breakdown cover includes, what policies are available and how to get the best cover for your business needs.
Instant breakdown cover
Find out if you can take out immediate breakdown cover after you’ve broken down, what it includes and what other options you have.
Car insurance for over 80s
Learn about over 80s car insurance, including what’s covered, how your health affects premiums and how to get the best policy for your needs.
RAC discount codes for January 2021
Check out our latest RAC discount codes and deals and see if you can score yourself a great deal on breakdown cover today.
Life insurance for smokers
We explain the effect smoking has on life insurance claims and premiums, how to save and different ways to get cheaper cover.
Life insurance for new parents
If you are a new parent and looking for life insurance, read our comprehensive guide to find out what type of cover you need and what’s included.
Life insurance for mums
Life insurance for mums can help ease the financial burden should something happen to you. Find out what’s covered and get a quote here.
Best international money transfer services
Learn how to compare international money transfer services so you can get the best exchange rates and lowest fees.
Ask an Expert