Home start breakdown cover

Few things are as frustrating as not being able to start your car when you have places to be. Find out all about home start breakdown cover.

The AA Roadside & Home logo
Breakdown cover from just £6
8/10 cars fixed at roadside
Unlimited callouts
5 star Defaqto rated
Go to site

What is home start breakdown cover?

If you have home start breakdown cover, then you can get a mechanic to come take a look at your car if it breaks down or fails to start in your driveway or just outside your home.

This type of breakdown cover can be taken out as a standalone policy, or as part of a more comprehensive breakdown cover policy that can also include things like roadside assistance, national recovery and onward travel.

What does home start breakdown cover include?

This will vary by provider.

Typically, home start breakdown cover will have the following options:

  • Cover in case your car breaks down or won’t start directly outside your home.
  • Some policies might include someone coming out to help you if you break down away from your home but within a certain distance.
  • Some policies might include having your car towed to a local garage. More comprehensive policies can also include the option to have your car towed to any address of your choice within the UK.

Always check the details of your policy and make sure you know exactly what’s included to avoid being left out of pocket.

Note that certain elements, like how many times in the year you can call someone out to help you and what type of repairs you’re covered for can also vary by provider and level of cover you take out.

When can home start breakdown cover be useful?

Home start breakdown cover is mostly useful in case you get in your car to go somewhere and find that it won’t start, especially if you drive to work.

That said, breakdown policies that include cover away from home and the option to have your car towed to a garage (whether local or further afield) can be extremely helpful under any circumstances, as even new and well maintained cars might sometimes break down at the side of the road. This can be frustrating, costly and even dangerous, so having the option to call a professional for help is a relief.

What doesn’t it cover?

Depending on the provider and policy level you choose, your cover might not include the following:

  • Cover in case your car breaks down away from your home (some will include this up to a certain distance).
  • Having your car towed to anywhere other than a local garage.
  • Cover for alternative modes of transport for you to continue your journey.

Can I get home start breakdown cover without taking out a policy?

If you break down without insurance, one option you have is to call Green Flag, which offers a breakdown service, on 0800 400 600. Another option is to call the AA, which offers instant cover, on 0800 88 77 66. Note that these options will likely involve paying an emergency call-out fee.

If you have a local garage you often use, one of its mechanics might be able to come over to your property and look at the issue. They might charge more for this than regular repairs when the car is brought to them, but it can be a cheaper option than paying emergency call-out fees.

Frequently asked questions

The offers compared on this page are chosen from a range of products we can track; we don't cover every product on the market...yet. Unless we've indicated otherwise, products are shown in no particular order or ranking. The terms "best", "top", "cheap" (and variations), aren't product ratings, although we always explain what's great about a product when we highlight it; this is subject to our terms of use. When making a big financial decision, it's wise to consider getting independent financial advice, and always consider your own financial circumstances when comparing products so you get what's right for you. Most of the data in Finder's comparison tables has the source: Moneyfacts Group PLC. In other cases, Finder has sourced data directly from providers.

Written by

Ronny Lavie

Ronny Lavie was a deputy editor at Finder, specialising in insurance content. She has almost a decade of experience writing about financial topics, including five months spent as the interim managing editor for the Fintech Times newspaper. Ronny has a Master of Arts in Creative Writing from London Middlesex University. See full profile

More guides on Finder

Go to site