Green Flag aims to offer affordable breakdown cover and says it will beat the RAC and The AA on price. There’s a wide range of policies available, plus a discount if you don’t request a call-out. Here’s what else you need to know.
What types of policies are on offer?
Here are the five policies, in order of affordability – cheapest first.
- Rescue. With this policy, you’re eligible for roadside repair. If the vehicle can’t be repaired, you’ll be towed to the nearest garage.
- Rescue Plus. You’ll get all the benefits of a Rescue policy, plus you’ll also be eligible for repair at your home.
- Recovery. You’ll get all the benefits of the Rescue policy, plus you’re eligible to be transported to any location in the UK.
- Recovery Plus. You’ll get everything in the Recovery policy, plus you’re eligible for a hire car, overnight accommodation or alternative transport if you need it.
- Euro Plus. You’ll get all the benefits of the policies above throughout the whole of Europe.
You can choose to cover one or two cars or choose to buy personal cover. With personal cover, you’ll be protected no matter what car you’re driving, provided it’s less than 16 years old.
If you like, you can add up to three members of your household onto a family cover policy. If you drive in Europe, you can purchase annual European cover or cover for a one-off trip to Europe.
If you break down, call 0800 400 600 or use the Green Flag app for assistance.
Green Flag has attracted more than 11,000 reviews on Trustpilot. In January 2021, its average rating was 4.4 out of 5. In our 2021 breakdown customer satisfaction survey, many customers highlighted the low price of its cover. “Half the price of AA and RAC,” said one respondent. “Affordable and well priced,” said another. Several commented on fast response times, but a few had encountered a long wait.
Pros and cons
- Five policies to choose from
- Cover available for drivers as well as cars
- You’ll get a “no call-out discount” when you renew your policy after a year without requesting a call-out
- Green Flag guarantees to beat the price of the RAC and The AA
- Green Flag has a smaller fleet of breakdown cover vans than some competitors.
- Green Flag has a longer average response time compared to some competitors.
Green Flag offers comprehensive breakdown cover policies, and it’s likely your Green Flag quote will be cheaper than many competitors’ deals. It’s definitely a provider worth considering.
Get started by visiting Green Flag’s website and sign up for a policy. If you have read this review and decided that Green Flag breakdown cover is not for you, you can also compare other breakdown cover policies on the market.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Interest inequality: Major UK banks lag behind global savings rates
Finder collaborated with the smart money app, Plum, to compare how easy access savings rates around the world compared with the local base rate.
How to buy OpenAI shares when it goes public
Everything we know about the OpenAI IPO, plus information on how to buy shares.
7 simple ways to boost your savings
Many households in the UK are struggling to save, so Finder’s experts have put together these tips to help you boost your savings.
Autumn Statement 2023: What it means for you
Finder’s experts explain the impact of the changes your finances.
How to open a business bank account in the UK
Discover how to open a business bank account in the UK, from the documents you’ll need to whether you’re eligible for a business bank account, we’ve got it covered.
Global savings: Comparing interest rates across countries
We looked at how global savings interest rates fared against the UK base rate in 10 countries around the world.
Your survival guide to the Black Friday sales 2023
Learn Finder’s 7 tips for how to play the sales and win. Plus, our video reveals the discounts we expect to see from top brands this year.
How to invest in mutual funds
Looking to diversify your investment portfolio? Mutual funds could be a good addition. Here’s how they work.
Financial stress and mental health statistics UK
7 in 10 Brits (70%) have experienced financial stress, so we look at the latest statistics to see the impact money has on our mental health.