Tempcover temporary car insurance review
We've analysed the temporary car insurance from Tempcover, one of the UK's largest short-term insurance brokers. Here's what makes these policies different.
Find out the key elements of the temporary car insurance from Tempcover. Its short-term car cover is comprehensive as standard and can be taken out for a period of 1 hour up to 28 days. Tempcover says that any claim made won’t affect a no-claims bonus on an annual policy. Our review highlights what you need to know about this award-winning broker.
Compare temporary car insurance providers
Who is Tempcover?
Since being established in 2006, Tempcover has grown to become one of the UK’s biggest short-term insurance brokers.
Tempcover has partnered with many well-known insurance companies such as The AA to offer customers temporary car cover.
Tempcover also offers temporary motorbike, van and home insurance amongst others.
Tempcover’s policy features
- Flexible insurance. You can choose cover from just 1 hour up to 28 days.
- Comprehensive cover. The highest level of cover comes as standard. If you are responsible for causing an accident, you’ll be protected for damage to other people’s vehicles or property and for your own vehicle against accidental damage and vandalism. You’ll also have protection against any fire damage or theft of your car.
- Unaffected annual no-claims discount. A claim made on a temporary policy won’t affect any annual no-claims discount built up.
- Instant cover. Get instant cover from the moment you purchase.
What does Tempcover’s temporary cover include?
Here are some of the benefits of Tempcover’s temporary car insurance:
- Accidental damage
- Fire and theft damage
- Third party EU cover
- Legal liability
- Comprehensive EU cover (optional)
- UK roadside breakdown cover (optional)
- Gadget cover (optional)
- Personal accident cover up to £20,000 (optional)
- Alloys, scratch, dent and tyre cover (optional)
- Excess reimbursement cover (optional)
Beyond the cover benefits above, any other benefits to your insurance policy will vary depending on the insurer that is able to provide the cover.
Check your policy details carefully to ensure you have the right cover for your needs.
Can anyone take out Tempcover’s temporary car insurance?
Unfortunately not. To get short-term car cover, both you and the car must meet Tempcover’s eligibility criteria:
- Be aged 18 – 78.
- Have held either a provisional or a current full UK driver’s licence for a minimum of 6 months (European Union driver’s licence for at least 12 months).
- Have been resident in the UK for 12 months or more.
- Have no more than 7 points on your driver’s licence in the last 3 years.
- Have no more than 2 fault claims in the previous 3 years.
- Have no criminal convictions.
The car must:
- Be registered in Great Britain, Northern Ireland or the Isle of Man.
- Have a market value of less than £65,000.
- Have no more than 8 seats including the driver’s seat.
- Be right-hand drive.
- Not be modified (except for modifications designed to help disabled drivers).
- Not be used to carry goods or passengers for hire or reward.
What is my excess?
Your insurance excess is the amount of money you have agreed to pay towards a claim. Your insurer won’t pay out for a claim that costs less than your excess. A compulsory excess amount might vary depending on the age of your vehicle and your driving experience.
A voluntary excess is on top and is normally set by you when taking out a policy. You’ll have the option of adding or increasing a voluntary excess – which should lower your premium.
You’ll find details about any compulsory or voluntary excesses in your policy document.
What is the claims process for Tempcover’s temporary car insurance?
As Tempcover works with a panel of seven insurers for its car insurance, you will need to refer to your actual policy document to verify who your insurer is and then find the insurer’s respective claims line details.
Keep your policy details, personal contact details and information relating to the incident to hand when making your claim.
It’s vital that you let your insurer know about an incident as soon as possible, even if it’s not your fault. Failure to do this could result in a rejected claim later on.
Pros and cons for Tempcover
- Comprehensive cover as standard.
- The cover can begin instantly.
- Making a claim won’t affect a no-claims discount built up on an annual policy.
- Cover can be enhanced with extra protection.
- No discount available for buying temporary cover online.
- Limited third party EU cover as standard.
- Cover for a maximum of 28 days only.
- Can only pay upfront.
Frequently asked questions
Read more on this topic
Suzuki Jimny insurance group and cost
Find out how much it might cost to insure a Suzuki Jimny based on the specific model version, the driver’s age and their location.
Temporary car insurance for non-UK residents
Find out how you can get temporary car insurance as a non-UK resident and your cover options available.
Temporary business car insurance
Temporary business car insurance can be a great choice for your finances if you sometimes need to mix business with pleasure when you drive.
Car insurance group 7
Find out how much it might cost to insure a car in insurance group 7.
Classes of use: How they affect the cost of your car insurance
Find out what classes of use means in car insurance and how to choose the right one based on your individual circumstances.
Vauxhall Adam insurance group and cost
Find out the car insurance costs for a Vauxhall Adam based on the specific model version, the driver’s age and their location.
Suzuki Alto insurance group and cost
Find out the average cost of insurance in the UK for a Suzuki Alto based on the driver’s age and their location.
Car insurance group 8
Find out the list of cars in insurance group 8 and how much it might cost to insure them.
Car insurance group 10
Find out which cars are listed in insurance group 10 and how much it might cost to insure them.
Car insurance group 9
Find out the list of cars in insurance group 9 and how much it might cost to insure them.