Our Life Covered life insurance review
Designed by women, for women, this broker pairs you with the best policy for your needs.
finder.com's rating: 4 / 5
- Get a quote if… You’re looking to buy or learn more about term life insurance.
- Choose a different provider if… You’re looking for a permanent policy
18 to 80
$50,000 to $2,000,000
Depends on policy and provider
Medical Exam Required
|Free quote||Online, Phone|
|Monthly cost||As low as $13 per month*|
|Policies||Term life insurance|
|Term lengths||10, 15, 20, 25 or 30 years|
|Riders||No info available|
|Medical exam required||Depends on policy and provider|
|Available states||Contact carrier|
|Issue age||Not listed|
Rhys Subitch is a writer and editor at Finder who tackles topics across the site. With half a decade of experience researching, editing and writing for a Fortune 500 company, university and several independent publications, Rhys brings readers the most up-to-date and curated info on all things finance.
Our Life Covered connects women with reputable providers for term policies. The site is a wealth of information on life insurance, which may be helpful for those who are purchasing a policy for the first time.
However, it only pulls quotes from three providers, and doesn’t support whole or universal life insurance at this time. To broaden your options, compare life insurance companies.
What types of life insurance coverage does Our Life Covered offer?
Our Life Covered is a broker that specializes in helping women to find term life insurance. Terms range from 10 to 30 years, with coverage up to $2 million.
It currently works with three top-rated insurers: Mutual of Omaha, Protective and SBLI..
What riders can I add to my policy?
Each of the insurers Our Life Covered works with offers its own set of riders that you could choose from. These are the most common riders:
- Accelerated death benefit. Get an early payout of a predetermined amount if you’re diagnosed with a terminal illness that has a life expectancy of less than one year.
- Accidental death benefit. If you die from an accident an additional amount is paid out to your beneficiaries
- Children’s level term. Children under your care who are financially dependent on you can get coverage, typically up until they’re married or turn 23.
- Disability income. Total disability results in a payout over a series of months until your coverage runs out.
- Waiver of premium. Another type of protection if you become totally disabled. This waives your premiums until you’re deemed fit to work full time again, but continues your coverage as normal.
How much does Our Life Covered cost?
Your premiums will depend on a number of factors, including your age, gender, state of residence, health history, if you use tobacco and more. The length of your policy and amount of coverage, as well as any riders, will also play a role in determining how much you pay per month.
According to the Our Life Covered website as of June 2019, a 30-year-old female who doesn’t smoke and lives in Washington state can get quoted for a 10-year policy with $150,000 in coverage for $9.23 per month. This considers the best possible underwriting criteria though, and your approval and rates can differ from the quote.
How do I get a low rate?
Underwriting criteria varies among insurers, but some factors are universally considered. Typically anything that affects your odds of passing away also affects your insurance premiums. These are the top five factors that can lower your premium:
- Not smoking or using alcohol
- A clean bill of health
- Applying when younger
- Safe driving habits
- Not participating in high-risk jobs or hobbies
Pros and cons of Our Life Covered life insurance
- Interactive quotes. Quotes can be adjusted by duration or coverage, or you can name your own price.
- Online guidance. Free guides are available before you even sign up. They include information about buying life insurance as a mom, calculating how much you need and mistakes to avoid.
- Solid customer service. Customer service is available online via chat and email, and over the phone. Plus, you’ll get the lifetime support of an insurance agent from Our Life Covered.
- Partners with highly rated carriers. The three insurers the broker works with are big-name, financially strong carriers.
- No permanent policies. Quotes for whole and universal life insurance aren’t available.
- Compares quotes from three insurers. Many other brokers partner with five or more insurers.
I’m a man. Can I use this broker to shop for life insurance?
If you’re a fella looking for life insurance, you can still use Our Life Covered to get a quote — however, this service isn’t designed for you. The company is built around helping women through the life insurance purchasing process.
Guides on the website are tailored to the needs of ladies, and men may not find it as beneficial. Women also get access to a Facebook community that revolves around supporting each other and talking about insurance options — again, not a benefit that caters to men.
Compare other life insurance companies
If you’re looking for more options to compare, take a look at these other providers.
Our Life Covered life insurance reviews and complaints
You won’t find much in the way of online customer reviews for Our Life Covered. The Better Business Bureau rates it an A+, but there are no reviews or complaints logged to date.
Similarly, Trustpilot only offers three reviews — all from 2017. One is a 5 out of 5-star review that’s labeled as a test, one doesn’t seem related to the service and the third is a 1 out of 5-star review that’s since been addressed by Our Life Covered.
How does Our Life Covered protect my data?
Any information that’s collected by Our Life Covered through its website is done via Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption to keep it safe during transmission. Personal information is also kept safe by Our Life Covered through confidentiality training for its employees, and by its adherence to a policy against releasing customer information that isn’t public.
Information that is shared is only done so with relevant parties, such as service providers, insurance companies, reissuers and wholesalers.
How do I sign up for Our Life Covered life insurance?
These are the steps to get an online quote:
- Go to the Our Life Covered website.
- Enter your ZIP code and select Get a quote.
- Provide the requested information and click See rate.
- Adjust the details to fit your needs and select Apply now.
I’ve signed up. What happens next?
Once you’ve signed up and applied, you’ll likely need to complete a health exam as part of the insurer’s underwriting process. The exam is free, and you’ll have access to your application status and your blood profile online via your Our Life Covered account.
According to the Our Life Covered website, you could get covered in minutes. Even before you’re covered, you’ll have access to an insurance agent to help guide you through any remaining steps and answer questions.
You’ll also have access to a Facebook community that’s dedicated to helping women connect and talk about making sure your family is protected.
Frequently asked questions
Life insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our experts analyze life insurance companies to help you to find the strongest possible policy and premium for your family’s needs. We assess their financial strength, customer satisfaction, policy features and riders. We then give each insurer a score between one and five stars that reflects their offering and reputation in the industry.