Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
How to peer-to-peer money transfers work?
Save money on the exchange rate when you use a peer-to-peer service.
Our pick: CurrencyFair international money transfers
3 free transfers
Your next three transfers with CurrencyFair are free after you sign up using finder.com and make your first transfer.
Exchange money on your terms with CurrencyFair. Fast, secure international money transfers are up to 90% cheaper than banks.
- Get the best exchange rate for you or choose your own rate.
- Send money anywhere in three simple steps.
- Low cost money transfer as simple as you want it to be.
Compare money transfer services
Enter your “send” amount into the money transfer calculator below to compare providers.
Compare money transfers
How do peer-to-peer money transfers work?
The process of a peer-to-peer money transfers is simple. First, you need to select how much money you wish to transfer and where you’re sending it. You can then upload your funds to your money transfer provider, which will then convert your money at the mid-market rate and match you up with a person sending funds in the opposite direction. So if you’re sending money from Australia to the United States, you’ll be matched with someone sending funds from the United States to Australia.
This allows customers to cut out the middlemen in the exchange—the banks—and enjoy better exchange rates and lower transaction fees.
Peer-to-Peer vs Bank
Lauren wants to send $1000 to her mother in the UK. In order to find the best possible money transfer deal, she compares the services offered by her ‘big four’ bank with a peer-to-peer money transfer service like TransferWise or CurrencyFair. The results can be seen in the table below.
|Cost to send a $1,000||Bank||Peer-to-peer money transfer service|
As can be seen in the example above, if Lauren sent her funds using a peer-to-peer service she would be sending an extra £41.90.
How do I compare peer to peer-to-peer money transfer services?
You’ll need to take the following features into account when comparing peer-to-peer money transfer services.
- Exchange rates. The exchange rate is a very important factor when determining how much money you can save, so look for the company that offers the best rates. However, keep an eye out for companies that suck you in with great rates but then slug you with high fees.
- Fees. Make sure you’re aware of all the fees attached to your transaction. Does the company charge a flat fee or is it a percentage based on the amount you’re transferring? Is the fee waived entirely if you transfer more than a certain amount?
- Minimum and maximum transfer amounts. You’ll need to check how much a company will allow you to transfer, as minimum limits might be too high for some and maximum limits may be too little for others.
- Transfer methods. Compare whether your transfer can be lodged only online, or whether there are phone and in-person options available as well.
- Other extras. Compare whether providers allow you to lodge forward contracts—where you lock in an exchange rate for a transaction that will occur at a later date— or limit orders, which is where you lock in a minimum exchange rate and the transaction is not completed until the market fluctuates and your chosen rate is available.
- Customer service. Is the company known for providing excellent customer assistance? Is there an online help centre and live chat available? Can you email or phone for support, and during what hours is each provider’s support centre open?
- What currencies are available? You’ll need to compare which currencies each provider offers and which destinations you can send money to.
What are the pros and cons of using a peer-to-peer money transfer service over a regular service?
- Better rates. Peer-to-peer money transfer services usually offer better exchange rates than banks.
- Lower fees. You’ll typically pay less to transfer money via one of these providers than you would through a bank.
- Fast. Peer-to-peer money transfer services regularly offer faster processing times than banks, with transfers often able to be completed within one business day.
- Supported currencies. While more supported currencies are added all the time, as peer-to-peer money transfer providers are relatively new, they do not yet offer the same number of exotic currencies and transfer destinations as major money transfer services.
Are there any risks?
When you’re making an international money transfer, it’s important to keep an eye out for exchange rates and fees. Poor exchange rates can eat up a big chunk of your money if you’re not careful, while hidden fees can be a nasty surprise if you don’t read the fine print before initiating a transfer. Compare all of your options before choosing a company that’s best for your needs.
Questions about peer-to-peer money transfers
Read more on this topic
Remittance statistics We've unpacked the most recently available data from the World Bank to get an idea of how much money is being sent around the globe.
Best ways to send money online Navigate the world of sending money domestically and internationally with our hand-picked list of popular services.
XE vs. OFX money transfers Check out this side-by-side comparison of XE and OFX to find out which provider offers the best value on international money transfers.
Alternatives to InstaReM Find the best alternative websites to InstaReM for online money transfers.
XE vs. Western Union We compare XE's and Western Union’s fees, exchange rates and transfer speeds side by side.
Remitly vs. PayPal Compare a well-known payments giant to the newer Remitly and see which one can give you a better deal.
Remitly vs. TransferWise Remitly and TransferWise’s fees, exchange rates and speeds compared side by side.
How to send money to Guinea Compare the services that send money to Guinea. Find out how to get the best value for your money, how long it takes and what to look out for.
Best places to exchange currency in Sydney Your guide to currency exchange services in Sydney, including where to find the best exchange rates and lowest fees.
Best places to exchange currency in Winnipeg Looking for the best deal on Canadian dollars in Winnipeg? Compare popular services and access handy tips to get the most out of your next transfer.