If you need money, there are ways you can get it safely and quickly
There are times in life where you need money for a late bill or an emergency expense, but you might not know where to start on an often time-consuming and frustrating process. Our article below outlines the ways you can borrow money fast so you don’t have to spend time worrying about filling the gap between paychecks.
LendUp Payday Loans
Apply for a payday loan conveniently online and borrow between $100 and $250.
- Min. loan amount: $100
- Loan term: 7–30 days
- Total costs: Depends on your state, loan product, loan amount and the term of the loan.
- Must be 18+ (19+ in Alabama)
- No security deposit needed
- Confidential and secure
- Visit the site to see if available in your state
Credit card cash advances
A credit card cash advance is a cash loan you take out through your credit card. You can typically get a same day credit cash advance one of three ways: by visiting the bank location, by withdrawing money from an ATM or by having the money deposited into your checking account. The amount you can borrow is usually a percentage of your credit limit.
Fees are either a lump sum or a percentage of the amount being borrowed. Although you can repay the cash advance over a long period of time, interest accrues on the balance immediately.
You need a credit card in good standing to withdraw money from, and it has to have an available credit limit for you to borrow from.
Short term loans
An online short term loan, also known as a payday loan, is a lending option that gives you access to money quickly and typically comes with a brief repayment period.
Online short term loans have less strict requirements than a traditional loan, but they tend to come with much higher interest rates.
One way to minimize how much a short term loan will cost is to only borrow the amount of money you need to cover your expenses and to choose the shortest repayment period you can afford. For example, you may only need $200 to last you until your next payday. Borrowing a smaller amount of money and paying it back quickly will help you afford the repayments.
Compare your short term loan options
A personal loan is a form of credit offered by many lenders and financial institutions. They generally come with lower interest rates and higher maximum amounts than a credit card cash advance or short term loan.
If you’re able to wait a few days to receive your funds, a personal loan could be an affordable option to borrow the money you need.
The eligibility criteria for personal loans is usually a bit more strict, requiring good to excellent credit and a regular income. However, there are options available for personal loans if you have bad credit as well.
Options for borrowing online
You can turn to an online lender for a variety of different loan products, including:
- Online short term loans. Some lenders offer same day or even instant approval online. Your repayment terms will vary depending on the lender and your state, but it could be as short as one week.
- Online auto title loans. If you own a car, you can use its title to get an online loan. You maintain full use of the car while paying the loan off. Because the loan is secured, you’ll usually get a lower interest rate.
- Online personal loans. You can apply online for a personal loan through many lenders. Be sure to check the eligibility criteria to make sure you qualify for the loan.
How do you compare online loans?
You can start your search right here at finder.com and compare your options on our comparison tables. When trying to find the right loan, the following features can help narrow down your search:
- Interest rates and fees. This is one of the primary features you should look for when comparing online loans, especially if they are short term loans. States have different caps for APR rates and fees so ensure the lender is operating within those restrictions.
- Application and turnaround time. How long does it take to apply and how quickly will you receive your loan? If you need funds deposited in your account by the next day, a lender who takes three won’t be the best for you.
- Eligibility. Lenders have different eligibility criteria, and some being more flexible than others. Check to see if you meet the eligibility criteria before applying.
What are the benefits and drawbacks of borrowing money online?
- Compare a range of options. There are many lenders operating online, and they can all be compared in one place. This is easier than driving to separate lender locations and comparing costs in person.
- Easy applications. Once you’ve found the loan you want to apply for, you can complete and submit your application in a few minutes, no faxing required.
- Receive the loan directly into your account. When you apply for a loan online, the money is sent directly to your checking account. Some lenders also give you the option of picking up your loan in-store or having the money deposited onto a prepaid debit card.
- High fees. Expect to see high interest rates. These short term loan options typically end up costing you double or triple the amount you borrow.
- Disreputable lenders. There are predatory lenders who work to capture you in a spiral of debt. Be careful who you borrow from and always check that they are operating legally.
- Short repayment terms. If you decide a payday loan is the best option for you, make sure you have the ability to repay it on the due date. A late or missed payment can end up costing you quite a bit in the form of extra charges.
What you need to borrow money online
When you find a lender to apply with, click “Go to Site” to submit your online application. You’ll need some of the following details on hand:
- Personal. Your name, date of birth, Social Security number, and other contact information.
- Financial. Your income, employment details or government benefits.
- Banking. Details of your checking account and your bank’s routing number may be required.
Alternatives to borrowing from a lender
If you’re worried you won’t qualify for a loan or just want to find a way to get cash without it affecting your credit, there are alternatives.
Look into picking up side work, borrowing money from a friend or simply requesting more time to repay your debts. These will help you avoid costly interest rates and the potential spiral of debt some people get into with short term loans.
Payday loans are banned in my state. Can I still apply online?
While every state regulates payday loans to a different degree, some states have banned lenders issuing them altogether. If the state you reside has banned payday loans, then you can’t apply for them online.
You can, however, apply for a loan if it falls outside of the definition of a payday loan, such as an installment loan or auto title loan. Installment loans are similar to payday loans except you pay the loan off over a longer period, while auto title loans are secured against your car.
Are payday loans available in my state?
Compare short term loans in your state
Frequently asked questions
Can I get an online loan funded on the weekend?
There are some lenders that offer online weekend loan funding, but this usually requires you to pay a fee or pick up your cash in-store.
Am I eligible for an online loan?
Eligibility criteria differ between lenders and states, so you’ll need to check this before applying. Generally, you’ll need to be over a certain age (this can range from 18-21), be a US citizen or permanent resident and show that you”re able to repay the loan. If you’re applying online, you’ll need to have an operational checking account as well.
Is it safe to apply for a loan online?
It’s safe to apply for a loan online with a reputable company. However, there are some illegitimate companies that operate online and prey on people looking to borrow money fast.
You should check that the lender has a secure and legitimate website before submitting your application. You can check whether it’s a direct lender or lead generation company and whether they’re transparent about the fees and other loan details. If you can’t find enough information on the loan you’re applying for online, you can call the customer service phone number to reach a representative. If you still don’t feel comfortable after speaking with customer service, you may want to consider another loan service to lend you money.
Check out our guide on how to avoid payday loan scams to learn more about protecting yourself.
Can I get a loan with no bank account?
Possibly. Some lenders offer alternative ways to receive your loan funds such as depositing it onto a prepaid debit card or offering in-store cash pickup.