Get crypto-rewards and take control of your money with this prepaid debit card.Wirex is a digital banking platform and prepaid debit card that gives you control over your money around the world, making it easy to spend and minimize costs while traveling. It also lets you convert and spend cryptocurrencies anywhere that Visa is accepted, and earn cryptocurrency rewards when you shop. But it’s not available in the US yet.
$0 per month
Minimum deposit to open
Kimberly Ellis is a writer at Finder. She hails from New York City with a BA from Queens College and a New York State teaching certificate. After teaching in both public and private schools, Kimberly decided to take the world by storm and dive into the media industry — where she covers everything from home loans and investing to K–12 education and shopping. She’s also an aspiring polyglot, always in a book and forever on the hunt for the perfect classic red lipstick.
The Wirex card is best for customers who travel or deal extensively with different currencies, including crypto. It advertises competitive exchange rates, and there are no fees to convert traditional currencies.
But since it’s still unavailable in the US, there’s a lack of account details and features. For instance, Wire hasn’t revealed its commission for crypto exchanges.
We reached out to Wirex with additional questions but they refused to answer until after the product launch. It’s likely that nothing is yet set in stone until after they pass regulatory compliance.
How do I get the Wirex card?
Be one of the first to receive a Wirex card once it’s available by registering for an account in six steps:
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- Choose Open an account or Order Wirex card.
- Select your country, enter your email, create a password and agree to the Terms and Conditions. Hit Continue.
- Check your email inbox and select the confirmation link to verify your email.
- Enter your personal details, including your address and phone number.
- Verify your identity by uploading the necessary documents, such as your driver’s license.
You’ll need to meet the following eligibility requirements to open a Wirex account:
- At least 18 years old
- US citizen or permanent resident
The Wirex application will ask for the following details and documents:
- Full name
- Government-issued ID
- Social Security number
6 things you’ll like about Wirex
Once Wirex launches in the US, you’ll enjoy the following features:
- Crypto-enabled prepaid card. Easily convert your digital currencies on the app or while using your card.
- Supports traditional and cryptocurrencies. Enjoy instant multicurrency exchange, including cryptocurrencies like XLM, Bitcoin, Litecoin and Ethereum.
- Competitive exchange rates. Wirex states that it’ll offer “exclusive over-the-counter (OTC) rates for all cryptocurrency exchanges.
- Zero fees on traditional currency exchanges. Convert traditional or fiat currencies for free.
- Free ATM withdrawals. Withdraw up to €400 or about $470 per month with no fees.
- Cryptoback rewards program. Earn 0.5% back in WXT, Wirex‘s native token, for in-store purchases when you use your Wirex card. Then choose what you do with it — spend, save or exchange.
3 things to watch out for
Even though Wirex makes it easy to convert currencies, be aware of the following drawbacks:
- Not live yet. While Wirex currently works in Europe, it’s not available in the US yet. Customer service told us that it’s still waiting for regulatory compliance.
- Crypto exchange services will cost you. While you’ll get over-the-counter exchange rates, Wirex charges a commission when you swap cryptocurrencies.
- Limited customer service. The only way to get help with your account is to submit an online support request. Considering that Wirex holds your money and currency exchanges may be time-sensitive, the lack of customer service rep communication in real-time may be frustrating.
If you prefer a customer-service oriented prepaid card, you’ll need to look elsewhere.
Is Wirex safe?
Yes. Wirex uses 256-bit SSL for all communications and requires two-factor authentication. And its state-of-the-art fraud analytic tools are constantly monitoring the Wirex platform.
Also, Wirex received their money transmission license from the State of Georgia Department of Banking in July 2020, which means that they’re adhering to banking regulations.
Wirex reviews and complaints
While Wirex doesn’t have a Better Business Bureau page, its Trustpilot page has a healthy number of reviews. Wirex earns a 3.4 out of 5-star rating based on 8,657 reviews. iPhone users rate it a 4.3 out of 5 stars, and Android customers give it a score of 3.5 out of 5 stars.
Customers in Europe enjoy its cashback program and exchange rates. But several unhappy users report suddenly getting locked out of their accounts, long verification process, extended hold times to withdraw money and virtually nonexistent customer service.
Compare Wirex with other digital accounts
Use the table to view other similar cards and digital accounts to compare fees, opening deposits and additional perks like APY.
How long will it take to get my card?
Once Wirex launches in the US, it’ll generally take four days to deliver your Wirex card after you create an account and submit a card order.
I got the card. Now what?
Activate your card by navigating to your Dashboard, selecting Cards, choosing the card and choosing Activate card.
If Wirex US offers the same funding options as Europe, you’ll be able to add cash to your Wirex card by linking your:
- Debit card to add funds.
- External cryptocurrency wallet.
- External bank account.
How can I contact Wirex?
Open a support ticket in the Help Center to initiate contact with Wirex support staff.