Personal possessions insurance

Personal possessions insurance protects your valuables, like phone, jewellery or bike, while you're away from home. Find out how to get the best value cover.

Welcome offer - £50 credit on contents insurance

  • Easy, affordable insurance on monthly subscription
  • Manage your cover via your mobile
  • Complete flexibility to add, remove or cancel cover at any time
Go to site
Powered by

What is personal possessions insurance?

Personal possessions insurance protects valuables that you take with you, such as your phone, jewellery and bike, against damage and theft while you are out of your house.

Some home insurance policies include this as standard, but more often this is an optional extra that can be added to your policy for an additional premium.

What does personal possessions insurance cover?

The exact specifications will vary between providers and policy types, but personal possessions insurance usually protects your possessions against accidental damage, theft and loss.

What possessions can be covered?

This will also vary from policy to policy, but generally the kind of property that can be covered by personal possessions insurance includes:

  • Bikes
  • Laptops
  • Phones
  • Keys
  • Cash
  • Jewellery
  • Cameras and other gadgets

Some policies include all of the above as standard, or just set a certain amount for the cover, but in some cases you will need to declare specific items you wish to include. This is often true when covering bikes.

What isn’t covered?

Most insurers set a “single item limit” on the value of property you wish to insure with them. Any items worth more than this limit (usually between £1,000 and £2,000), will need to be listed separately. There might also be a cap on how much cash you can include in your cover.

Bicycles and other sports equipment can sometimes be included in personal possessions insurance, but more expensive models will likely need to be listed separately. Some providers exclude bikes from their cover altogether, so if bike cover is something you require, make sure you check the small print.

Other exclusions to the policy might include:

  • Unattended possessions. You must not put your items in danger of theft by leaving them unattended.
  • Items on public display. Even if your car is locked, you must store all valuables out of sight (for example, in your glove compartment).
  • Business equipment. Insurance companies usually exclude items used for business from cover, unless you take out specific business insurance.
  • Wear and tear. Items will naturally deteriorate in condition over time. This is unlikely to be covered by insurance.

Is it covered under my standard home and contents policy?

In some cases personal possessions insurance is included in the more comprehensive types of home insurance policies. These include Urban Jungle’s contents insurance, Admiral’s Gold and Platinum policies and Tesco’s contents insurance.

However, more often than not, it’s an optional extra you can add to your policy for an additional premium (this is usually a few extra pounds per month).

You can compare home insurance policies to see which providers offer personal possessions cover.

Finder Awards Winner
Home Insurance Customer Satisfaction

Customers in our survey rated Tesco Bank ★★★★★

Frequently asked questions

More guides on Finder

Go to site