Aviva landlord insurance is designed to protect your property inside and out. See how it measures up in our review. Read more…
Home Insurance Statistics
Have homeowners in Britain got their homes covered?
Despite home insurance providing vital protection for your home and possessions, many homeowners in the UK are choosing to not insure their homes. We have carried out research to find out more about home insurance claims, Brits’ approach to protecting their homes and what can happen in emergencies if you aren’t insured.
- There are 22.6 million homes in the UK
- 6 million homes in the UK don’t have any form of home insurance
- The average home has contents worth in excess of £35,000
- The average premium (for both building and contents cover) costs £309 per year
- That’s less than £6 per week to cover your building and its contents
- Water damage accounted for over 30% of home insurance payouts
Who is buying home insurance and who isn’t?
With over 22 million homes in the UK – how many homeowners have insurance and how many are risking going without?
- There are 22.6 million homes in the UK
- 6 million homes in the UK don’t have home insurance in 2018
- This equates to 1 in 4 properties are uninsured
Which regions are better at having their contents covered?
Northern Ireland is the best region for having their contents covered, with 82% of homes having cover. Whilst only 55% of London homes have contents cover. Explore the map below to see which regions have the most homes without contents cover.
Percentage of homes without home contents cover
|Region||Percentage of homes without home contents cover|
|East of England||22%|
|Yorkshire and The Humber||22%|
How much does home insurance cost?
Home insurance comes in three main forms; contents insurance, buildings insurance or both. The price you pay will depend on a few factors, mainly where you live, how big your home is and what you want covered on your contents insurance.
- A combined contents and building insurance policy cost an average of £307 a year.
- Building cover costs an average of £258.
- Contents insurance costs an average of £127.
- That’s the lowest average price since 2015 for contents insurance.
- Combined cover costs on average less than £6 per week.
Home insurance claims
Whether your home has been broken into or adverse weather conditions have caused flooding – there may be a time where you need to claim on your insurance. The level of cover you pay for will determine what you are able to claim for, but what are the most common claims for?
What do people claim for on home insurance?
|Type of claim||Percentage|
|Other domestic claims||13%|
|Fire & explosion||17%|
|Escape of water||31%|
Contents insurance is a way of protecting your personal belongings and items within your home. When taking out your policy it’s important to accurately estimate the value of your items in case you ever need to make a claim. The average contents policy costs just £127 a year, or £2.40 a week.
- The value of possessions owned by all UK households now totals nearly £1 trillion.
- Average amount of stuff owned, at £35,000, is worth more than the average annual UK salary of £27,000
- Over a quarter of households – 7.5 million – have no contents insurance.
- This means that there is over £266 billion unprotected possessions, potentially at risk.
How much are the contents of my home worth?
As a rough guide, the below list gives you an idea of contents valuation for the size of your home.
|Four bed house||£49,316|
|One bed flat||£20,110|
|Three bed house||£38,160|
|Two bed flat||£26,966|
|Two bed house||£28,506|
Click here for more research. For all media enquiries, please contact:
If you study away from home, read our guide to find out whether you need student contents insurance. Read more…
You can save money on electronics insurance with these Simplesurance discount codes. Read more…
Whether you're a residential or commercial landlord, Premierline offers landlord insurance to cover a range of buildings and situations. Read more…
Find out whether your home insurance covers damage to your property's foundations and compare quotes too. Read more…
Find out everything you need to know about home insurance as a first-time homeowner and compare quotes too. Read more…
Ask an Expert