BMW Z3 insurance group
Compare car insurance costs for your BMW Z3 based on your age and location.
The BMW Z3 is a two-seater sports car that has sold incredibly well ever since it hit the market in the mid-90s. Its appearance in the James Bond film GoldenEye certainly helped to give the vehicle some extra prestige. However, it has been criticised in reviews, particularly for its suspension and engine. In this guide, you’ll find out how much it costs to insure a BMW Z3 based on the age and location of the driver.
What insurance group does the BMW Z3 fall under?
All vehicles are assigned a specific insurance group that ranges from 1 (cheapest) to 50 (most expensive) and this helps to determine the cost of your premium. BMW Z3 models range from insurance group 29 to 38, meaning you can expect to pay more to insure this car compared to the average vehicle. As an example, a 30-year-old driver in an average postcode could pay around £906 for cover on a BMW Z3 1.8 2d that is in insurance group 29 or around £924 for a BMW Z3 3.0 2d that is in insurance group 39. This is clear impact of the premium pricing that occurs when one car is in a much higher insurance group.
BMW Z3 insurance cost by location
There are plenty of other factors that have an impact on the cost of your car insurance premiums. Your location is one of the most important.
To highlight the power of the postcode, here are some average quotes for a 30-year-old living in three different locations. The quotes are for a BMW Z3 2.8 2d Auto.
- Expensive: £1,054 (London SE1)
- Average: £900 (Newcastle NE1)
- Cheap: £701 (Galashiels TD1)
Which factors affect my BMW Z3 insurance rate?
Along with insurance group, here are some of the other factors that have the biggest impact on your insurance premium costs:
- Engine type and capacity. In general, the larger the engine, the more you’ll pay for your car insurance. For example, it may cost £1,041 for insurance for a BMW Z3 1.9 8V 2d, while you may pay £1,114 for a BMW Z3 3.0 Sport 2d Auto. That’s a £73 more per year for the same vehicle with an engine that’s 1.1 litres larger.
- Driver location. Insurers use your home address to determine the level of risk that your car may be stolen or involved in an accident, and this affects the cost of insurance. For example, a 30-year-old in central London may pay £1,041 for insurance for a BMW Z3 1.8 2d, while the same 30-year-old in Newcastle may only pay £906. That’s £135 more per year you’ll pay if you live in London compared to Newcastle.
- Driver age. The youngest drivers will pay the most for car insurance because they are the most likely to make a claim. As an example, the average 20-year-old driver in London may pay £1,834 for the BMW Z3 2.2 Sport 2d, while the average 40-year-old Londoner will only pay £960. So, in this example, the younger driver will pay almost double to insure this vehicle.
Other factors that influence the cost of your insurance include:
- The model and age of your car
- Your car’s safety rating score
- Your car’s safety rating and security features
- Your car’s extra anti-theft precautions
- Your annual mileage
- Your driving history and activity
- Your no-claims discount
- Your marital status
- Your credit history and job
How can I save on my BMW Z3 premiums?
When hunting for insurance, you will want to find the best deal for a price that’s within your budget. With that in mind, here are some ideas to lower the cost of your premium.
- Limit your annual mileage (where possible). If you can reduce your mileage by occasionally deciding to walk or get public transport, instead of using your car, it can help to reduce your premiums.
- Pay annually rather than monthly. Some insurers charge you interest when you pay monthly. You can guarantee you’ll avoid this by paying annually instead.
- Install extra safety precautions. By installing additional safety measures, you make your car less of a risk to insure. That’s why many insurers are happy to lower your premium when you do so.
- Shop around for the best deal using price comparison websites. Don’t just settle for the renewal price offer by your existing insurer. You should always shop around for deals from competitors on price comparison websites. There may be cheaper options out there.
BMW Z3 facts and trivia
- This vehicle was awarded the “Design of the Year” and “Best Sports Car” awards by Automobile Magazine in 1999.
- A blue BMW Z3 with biege interior leather appeared in James Bond film “Goldeneye” in 1995.
As with most popular and powerful sports cars, the BMW Z3 costs a fair bit to insure. Thankfully, we have the tips in this guide that can help you keep your insurance costs down.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Toyota Hilux insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Toyota Hilux falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Citroen Saxo insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Citroen Saxo falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Suzuki SX4 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Suzuki SX4 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Smart Forfour insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Smart Forfour falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Nissan Navara insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Nissan Navara falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Toyota iQ insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Toyota iQ falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Smart Roadster insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Smart Roadster falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Jaguar XE insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Jaguar XE falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Honda Accord insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Honda Accord falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Subaru Impreza insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Subaru Impreza falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Ask an Expert